What is the worst diet you have ever been on?

Options

Replies

• noltes2
    noltes2 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Ice cream in the slim fast - now that was the funniest thing I've ever heard!!!

Worst diet for me? It would be the "3 day diet" with the dry toast, plain oats, plain tuna. I remember going to a family reunion and all I could eat was a small tupperware container of tuna that I brought with me. I was 12 lol.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Atkins - nearly passed out on day 3 and felt so depressed with it. Low carb does not suit me.

Cabbage soup - I quite like the soup, without the cabbage, but weight loss is very temporary.

grapefruit, egg and spinach diet - OMG I went of spinach for years cos of this :sick:

mayo clinic diet - years ago, can't really remember results

rosemary connelly hip and thigh - probably best results, but now its no longer good to cut out all (good) fats from your diet. Hate to think what I did to my joints with years of low fat fads!

These days, I just stick to a balanced diet, with carbs AND fats, and with a sensible calorie deficit as per MFP. Seems the most healthy way to go :bigsmile:
  • mom2claudia
    Options
    My mom started putting me on all kinds of diets when I was probably about 8-9 years old. I remember the cabbage soup diet. Yuck.

The worst, however, has to be South Beach. No carbs for 2 weeks???? OMG, it was awful, and I only made it about one week. Also, Dr. Phil's weight loss program was pretty yuck, too, in terms of recipes... but not nearly as bad as South Beach.
  • mom2claudia
    Options
    Ice cream in the slim fast - now that was the funniest thing I've ever heard!!!

Worst diet for me? It would be the "3 day diet" with the dry toast, plain oats, plain tuna. I remember going to a family reunion and all I could eat was a small tupperware container of tuna that I brought with me. I was 12 lol.

OMG, I was on the 3-day diet, too! I totally forgot about that one. The worst part of that one for me, though, was that I didn't like the oats... So all I ate was the plain tuna and the dryyyyyyy toast. No wonder that diet failed. LOL!
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I did Jenny Craig about 10 years ago and hated it. I thought the food was awful and I was always hungry. When I complained about one of the breakfast foods (pancakes?) the consultant told me "Too bad. Just eat it". She also told me not to exercise until I got to my goal weight. I can't believe I paid for that advice.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    the worst "diet/quick fix": Cabbage Soup...made by me..when I was 12..Worst...Ever...by...far....
  • lajuice24
    lajuice24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Atkins. I hated it! I could never get it right. I was always hungry and I got bored with my choices fast.

I lost the weight like 70 pounds but I was hungry and bored, two bad combinations
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    1/2 of a bagel for breakfast

1 apple and a small pita bread with 1 oz of turkey for lunch

1 cup of chicken noodle soup for dinner

1/4 cup vanilla frozen yogurt for snack

Grand total: 600 calories

I did this for a year...lost 1 pound a week steady. But I blame this on why I can't lose now, even 8 years later.
  • CrimsonWife
    Options
    The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet. You cut out carbs for all except one meal. I used to majorly binge on refined carbs at dinner. Gee, I wonder why that one didn't work?
  • cupcakecarnivore
    Options
    I definitely did that maple syrup with water and lemon juice thing... I may have lasted one day but it was a truly MISERABLE day. Never again. Now I just eat a lot of fiber and watch calories... that's it. I don't restrict carbs at all, and it's working for me.

Ugh the master cleanse!! Worst diet plan ever:( I think I lasted three days, and then ended up passing out.....and then ordered a pizza, and then my body rejected it and I ended up throwing it all up! What a miserable couple of days that was!
  • Terri73
    Terri73 Posts: 238
    Options
    Packet noodles and vodka, was a size 8 (not healthy and definately not recommended but went through a major bad time) ruined my body.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think it was called the Israeli Army diet? Didn't last past day 1.
    And I think I tried the cabbage soup diet but have blocked all the details of that out of my memory!
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    i did some crazy diet with my mom a few years ago. i have no idea what it was but it was this super strict diet. It had breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks all wrote out for you and you had to follow it... it was stuff like dry toast, and tuna with nothing in it... it was crazy weird and it sucked. i did it because my mom wanted to try it and she wanted me to help her follow it by doing it with her.

never again. ha ha ha

oh, and i did loose weight, but i think it was because it was such a drastic cut in calories then what i was use to eating.

This cracked me up because I totally eat my toast dry, and my tuna with nothing in it.
  • diegelman
    diegelman Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The grapefruit diet. Heartburn and hunger all the time!
  • carmenvo
    carmenvo Posts: 34
    Options
    Cabbage soup. In the morning, nothing else, three times a day. And I don't even like cabbage. It did work, but I hated to get up in the morning thinking of soup.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    As far as stupidest: my sister's Diet Dr Pepper diet. A 12 oz can of Diet Dr. Pepper whenever you get hungry, 1 meal a day. Lost about 15 lbs that way.

Not for weight-loss, for a period of time I was on the I can't afford groceries diet. My shopping list consisted of eggs, bread, milk, sliced cheese and ramen noodles. Peanut butter of jelly if I ran out. Boring, but feeds you for under $10 a week.

And now, about 3-4 times a year, I have to put myself on what my Dr. calls the BRAT diet. Water fast for a day, clear liquids for the next 3. Then 1 week of water, liquids and Bananas, Rice, Apples and Toast. (I have a chronic stomach condition. When it flairs....oh, its gross) After that, I get to slowly re-introduce foods back into my diet like a baby. I'm pre-diabetic and iron deficient anemic, so when I have to do this to keep my stomach from getting worse, its not fun. No energy at all.
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Had eating disorder issues as a young teenager and lived on apples and diet coke for a few months, that was definitely the worst!

As for a 'genuine' diet, they did this thing a few years back where you could apparently live off jelly sweets (Haribo etc.) and lose weight... they did magazine articles and everything about how they're fat free and you could eat them all day and one healthy meal and still lose weight... As a kid that seemed doable! Eventually ate so many cola bottles I couldn't eat any more and I guess in that sense it worked! Bad for your nutrition and bad for your teeth!

Good old healthy eating and exercise works wonders! Wish i'd realised that ten years ago!
  • MissEmDizzle
    MissEmDizzle Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    ATKINS.... YUK! YUK! YUK!

CABBAGE SOUP DIET .... DOUBLE YUK! ....... LOST 10LBS IN A WK..... MAJOR GAS!!!!

LEMONADE DIET...... CAN I JUST SAY I FELT LIKE I WAS GOING TO DIE ....... LOST 15LBS IN 10DAYS

HATED ALL OF THESE.... I DID LOOSE WEIGHT BUT GAINED TWICE AS MUCH BACK

THE DIETS I DID LIKE WERE THE EXTREME FAT SMASH, AND THE EAT CLEAN DIET.....

IN FACT I SILL FOLLOW BOTH BUT INCORPORATE MY OWN..... NO MEAT CAUSE IM A VEGATARIAN ETC..... I LOST 17LBS AND HAVE MANAGED TO KEEP 12 OFF FOR A YEAR... NOW IM BACK ON AND TRYING TO LOOSE 37
  • njoytheride
    njoytheride Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Amen! But I screwed myself up on Atkins by eating too much deli ham and turkey, with all the nitrites and nitrates. I lost the weight, but I had excruciating leg muscle pains for 6 months. i could barely walk. Was taking 6 Advil/day. Got some MSM, and pain was gone in 4 days, but came back a little when that bottle was finished. Then I moved to a place that had blackberries growing all over the yard, so I started eating them every morning (free breakfast!) Pain totally gone! So now I include berries and cherries in my weekly foods, still trying to eat low carbs.

I gained 40lbs in 3 years eating low fat. I ignored starches and sugar.
  • njoytheride
    njoytheride Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of the pH Miracle Diet? Healing, for conditions like this. pH Miracle, too. You may be able to find these books at the library, or just go read them at a big bookstore.