How have you cut down on sodium?

Options
Hi all,

I would like to reduce my sodium intake, since apparently I'm monstrous at keeping it in a reasonable level. What changes in your diet have worked well for you?

Thank you!

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    You really have to cut out most things that come out of a box, a bag or a can. You have to prepare more food at home and eat foods in their natural state.

Restaurants are bad too, especially chain restaurants. Most of what you get in a chain restaurant is shipped to them already prepared and they basically just heat it up, so it's full of sodium. (That's why it tastes the same at all of their restaurants around the country--it all comes from the same place.)

Deli meats are also loaded with it.

Condiments also often have more sodium then you would guess, but at least it's generally a modest serving size.

Anything that is labeled "low-fat" or "diet" usually has replaced the fat with sodium or sugar, so keep an eye on those as well.
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I had to, because if I dont, I retain like CRAZY! I gained 4 pounds in water weight last month in 2 DAYS!!!!
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I cook. I read labels of anything I buy. And I am cautious about going out to eat (any day I eat at a restaurant, I am guaranteed to be over on sodium). My diary is open. You can see how I manage. My sodium is set at 1500 mg per day. I am imperfect, but I am rarely over 1800.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I replaced canned veggies with fresh or frozen (no sodium frozen ones). Big difference, and also started reading the labels for sodium content on all our condiments and tried to buy only ones with the lowest possible sodium content.
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I use Mrs. Dash, it's a salt-free seasoning that is a blend of about 10 different seasonings. Really good!
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating frozen meals for lunch at work. Still need to work on it though...
  • niffer82402
    niffer82402 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    We compare labels on EVERYTHING. We thought we were doing great by eating healthy snacks like string cheese and cottage cheese, but they were LOADED with sodium. We now buy the lowest sodium options we can find for cottage cheese. We buy low sodium string cheese, low sodium deli meats, no salt added canned veggies (although we steam veggies most of the time now, and season with Mrs. Dash Table Blend instead of salt and pepper).

My husband and I just started this journey, so I am interested to see what other responses you get as well! Good luck! :happy:
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Your diary is your best weapon. Systematically go through it and cut out the highest offenders. Replace them with lower sodium alternatives. Read labels in the grocery store. You can get things like pasta sauces with less sodium. I like Classico and some of the organic brands because they're less awful than Ragu, etc. I'm about to start making my own sauces. Working toward that! That's the other thing. Start cooking more. Prepare your own food. Buy low sodium ingredients and automatically eliminate any added salt from recipes. If you're not taking a diuretic, light salt can be an alternative to cooking with regular salt, as can sea salt. Sea salt isn't lower in sodium, but it has a very strong flavor. A little goes a very long way.

Feel free to message me if you like. I've gotten pretty good at this.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I find when I have groceries I can control my sodium pretty well. Snacking becomes apples, oranges, bananas, veggies...etc. When it's getting to the last bit before pay day I run low on stuff and I start eating more packaged items and those kill my sodium. Today I ate a Smart One for lunch and it killed half my sodium.
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I will ditto earlier comments, but I will add something. If you do blow your sodium intake for the day, drink more water than you normally would. It will flush a lot of that excess sodium out of your system. I consistently stay under my calorie goal, but frequently go over on sodium (I am trying though) and always go over on sugar (although my sugar intake is from natural sugars found in fruits and cereals). Also, if you are getting enough potassium, it tends to offset the effects of sodium.
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Great advice here!
    What helped me:
    I set my goal to 2300mg a day thar is the most one should consume.
    Do not eat anything to high in sodium. So check labels & your diary.
    I hardly ever eat pre-packed foods even things like,Lean Cousine... Or lunch meat have too much in them. Eat less of that!
    Try to plan what you're gonna eat through out the day. When you're over, delete sonething with high sodium off your diary, then replace it with something lower.

Keep this up & you will get the hang of it soon enough.

This has helped me! I had elevated BP and now it's perfect :-)
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I will ditto earlier comments, but I will add something. If you do blow your sodium intake for the day, drink more water than you normally would. It will flush a lot of that excess sodium out of your system. I consistently stay under my calorie goal, but frequently go over on sodium (I am trying though) and always go over on sugar (although my sugar intake is from natural sugars found in fruits and cereals). Also, if you are getting enough potassium, it tends to offset the effects of sodium.

Couldn't agree more. I drink between 9-21 cups a day. If I'm over on sodium I aim to have a high intake of water.
  • BBBgettingfit
    BBBgettingfit Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone - this is really helpful.