Someone slap me!

Options
I have not been wholeheartedly tracking calories. I don't close out the day, I just shut down the computer. And this is why- I have been on a 3 day splurge of caramel/ vanilla ICE CREAM!!! I know what I am doing- 'This isn't good Jess!!' 'Yes, it is- in fact it's delicious!!' I didn't even get on the scale this morning. I need to stop- I know it, but I munch on. I need to be slapped hard and broken out of this , this, whatever you call it. Rebellion? I know no one can physically slap me, but just wake me up with some wise advice, a simple 4 word sentence I can't say over and over to myself to motivate me to eat healthy again. :embarassed:

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    STEP AWAY FROM THE ICE CREAM (assuming you are not in a sugar coma by now)

Literally - go out for a walk. You say this is day three, you need to do something to change the patter. You don't need to speed walk, just literally walk away from the ice cream. Bonus points if you ditch it before you leave the house. You know, through it in the sink as hard as you can, scream something vaguely religious and exorcist-y at it and walk out of the house for at least 20 minutes (give it time to melt so you can't rescue it when you get back).

Good luck!
  • sundinsgurl
    sundinsgurl Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Don't let one bad evening or one slip up ruin your whole week. Put that one bad thing behind you - if you can't stop that one night than the next morning when you wake up start fresh.

THink about how hard you work out and how much time on the treadmill or bike or whatever it will take to work off that many calories

We all have slip ups.. this is a lifestyle change, not a diet. We need to treat ourselves every now and than or we will rebel and splurge like you are doing.
  • jessazimmerman
    Options
    I guess I'd suggest carefully counting calories without making any changes in what you're eating yet. Perhaps just seeing the honest numbers of what you do eat will motivate you to change what you eat. That is what has helped me. Good luck!
  • lajuice24
    lajuice24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Only you can help you. I know it is hard. I would eat ice cream every day of my life if it did not continue to add to my *kitten*. Not being rude, but honey you have to want this bad enough to go get it! I know you can do this and I have watched you since we have become friends on here. I know you want and I know you can do it. Get rid of the ice cream and get back on track!
    ***And FYI there is nothing wrong with treating yourself, just dont let it over take you****
  • imgonnawin
    Options
    you are in control of it all!! Take control of your own mind and say enough!
  • SHERRYDAVIS3472
    Options
    Sometimes you have to indulge yourself to get it out of your system. I am working really hard at the gym this week 'cause this weekend I'm eating a whole pan of brownies!!! :o)
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    You are obese & if you continue to eat like this, you will always be obese, could become diabetic and die at a very young age leaving your loved ones behind. But....if you are okay with all of this, eat that damn ice cream every night, continue to gorge yourself. If you are not, get off your fat *kitten*, go through your cabinets, fridge and freezer and get rid of that toxic food & replace it with some new favorites!!!! Yogurt w/ granola & blueberries, an orange, egg beaters w/ mushrooms and bacon bits..It's your choice.
  • OBXGal
    OBXGal Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I suggest logging all of your calories, no matter how much you eat. Putting it on paper (so to speak) makes me feel more accountable for what I eat. I also have my diary open for my friends to read. I think twice about shoving chips in my face if I know that my MFP buddies will see it. Just a thought on what works for me :)
  • Aubers
    Aubers Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    *SLAP!* only kidding ;)

One of my MFP friends posted this a while back, I copied it and made it part of my desk top background. I don't always have good days, and I too have been slipping a lot lately, but seeing this everyday does help and make me feel good... maybe it will help you too?

DO YOU WANT IT BAD ENOUGH? If you do then act like it. If you do then be determined. If you do then stop procrastinating. If you do then stop crying about it. If you do then stop thinking about it. If you do then stop talking about it. If you do then do something about it. Every decision you make is going to get you either closer or further away from your desire. Make the right decision today.
  • WolffEarl
    WolffEarl Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    My advice? Take ice cream out of freezer, carry it to the sink. Turn on hot water, Melt it, then pour down the drain. Remember most ice cream is mostly sugar, fat and flavour. Very little in it of redeeming value, except yes I know, taste good.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    We all have these times where we splurge, and some keep on doing it. Dont let anyone fool you, no ones perfect and when we all try to cut something out of our lifestyle. Tomorrows another day and just start fresh!
  • gunder19
    gunder19 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I can totally sympathize...I have gotten to the point where well Ive gone this far, screw it, Im doing it all. But, next day you feel like crap and at least I feel I look like I gained tons of weight. My recommendation, someone told me a long time ago, before you eat it, go in the bathroom, get naked and look at your body. Garantee, that will motivate you to stop the ice cream.
    It is a battel I know, I have batteled this since I was 11 years old. I will be 40 in May. 3/4 of my life I have been dieting, belonging to gyms, but all you can do is keep plugging away and keep trying! Your health, the qualilty of your life depends on it!!
    Good luck...just remember tomorrow is another day and just get back on track!!
    Gina
  • scarnall2
    scarnall2 Posts: 18
    Options
    I vote find a substitution, like vanilla yogurt and a small amount of carmel drizzled over the top. Add a few apples and you have a pretty decent dessert. A small rice crispy treat has 90 calories. Make it a challenge to find the low calorie alternative.

Find your "eye of the tiger!" :smile:
  • reneegetshealthy
    Options
    When I get in those modes I have to figure out why I am eating and try to replace eating with something else. My problem is usually at 3ish in the afternoon. I have decided to go out and walk around the building when I am tempted to eat and am not really hungry. I have to evaluate myself to determine if I am eating for hunger or for other reasons.

Remember you get the taste and texture of most foods from the first three bites sooooooo if you HAVE to have it, limit yourselt to three bites!

You didn't get the way you are by making wise food choices so now is the time to make a change. Usually for me the first 5-7 days is hard but if I can make it through those days things get easier. I experienced ALOT of "mental" hunger in the beginning and really had to work hard to figure out why I was eating if I wasn't really hungry.

Log EVERYTHING you put in your body so you have an accurate assessment of where you are and what you need to change. It really will help. Don't get down on yourself or give up just start fresh EVERY time you get off plan!

Sorry if I sound preachy. I have lost 70 lbs since July and am so much healthier and happier. I am passionate about being healthy. I want to help everyone which helps me. I have 20 lbs to get to my goal.
  • mandrigo99
    mandrigo99 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am glad I read this I have been doing so good on my diet but today at the grocery store I almost bought ice cream I don't know why. I did pass it up though and bought strawberries and pineapple instead. Can't wait to have that for my snack tomorrow.:smile:
  • 2004Jessica
    2004Jessica Posts: 113
    Options
    My advice? Take ice cream out of freezer, carry it to the sink. Turn on hot water, Melt it, then pour down the drain. Remember most ice cream is mostly sugar, fat and flavour. Very little in it of redeeming value, except yes I know, taste good.

Thank you, sir!! I did just that. One of my biggest issues with pitching the Ice cream was I didn't want to put up with my son's meltdown. (A pitiful excuse, I know.) Well, I said 'He'll get over it'. And I told him, "Son, I'll make you an ice creasm cone, and then I'm throwing the rest away!!" I was prepared for battle. Then my son said, "I don't want any ice cream, Mom!" My 6 year old is smarter than me!! So I ran the hot water and melted the half- container that was left. I feel better already, knowing it's not there calling my name. Thanks for the tough words and the motivation AND for the slap!! :tongue:
  • 2004Jessica
    2004Jessica Posts: 113
    Options
    :sick: Plus ice cream or any sugar makes it hard for me to move.
  • caberselli
    caberselli Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Just remember "you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."

This too shall pass.

My kids are so lucky because I don't like ice cream at all.
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    if you're talking about breyer's vanilla caramel brownie ice cream, i'm guilty as well! i can't stop eating it!!! but just move on from it - don't dwell. tomorrow's a new day:)
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options

you should be arrested for this.