Grief and Weight Loss

Options
I've been using MFP for a couple of months now and have had success. I lost my husband last summer and went into so kind of weird Twilight Zone health spin of grief eating and then grief not eating. I started using MFP as a tool to keep track of what my mind (at the moment) is not able to.

I'm hoping to network with people that have gone through something similar. I've found that grief is a strange thing to navigate, and I need all the advice/tips/tricks I can gather.

Thanks!
Deven

Replies

• jml107
    jml107 Posts: 27
    Options
    Firstly I am sorry for your loss. But I hope that you can find support in the arms of the MFP family. While I have not experienced a loss such as yours we are both on the same mission and I would be happy to cheer you on!
  • OSUalum
    OSUalum Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. Your determination is inspirational!
    Keep up the great work!
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Deven,

I'm so very sorry for the deep loss of your husband. I lost my precious mom last year and the grief is unbearable at times. She lived with my family for 15 years and we were very close. I know the feelings your dealing with. I'll send you a friend request if you would like some company on this journey.

Cindy
  • CallMeKelly
    Options
    So sorry to read of your loss.
    I hope this site can be everything you need it to be.
    I've only been here a few days - but it seems to be a place with a lot of support.
    Best of luck!

Kelly
  • alana926
    alana926 Posts: 33
    Options
    Hi My name is Courtney and I lost my younger brother last year and i coped with eating. I have these time periods when i'm ok and they there are times when i just like get angry and feel the hurt and pain all over again. I can relate to the grief and hurt you going through and i understand with the grief eating so feel free to add me if you like and welcome to MFP
  • janelle1993
    janelle1993 Posts: 128
    Options
    Deven,

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my grandmother three years ago and still am dealing with it. I wish you the best of luck and you can add me as a friend if you need support.
  • Mememone
    Mememone Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I did loose my husband at a young age and was left with 3 young children. My appetite went up and down. Had a really hard time getting through. I'm sorry for your loss and absolutely went through the roller coaster ride you are going through. If you want, you can add me as a friend.
  • DevenMcKay
    Options
    Wow, y'all are overwhelmingly nice.

Thank you so much. I am doing much better - well until I'm not... but still, it is getting better and watching my nutrition and exercising is helping (I think). Or I'm delusional, but at this point I'll take any hope I can get.
  • lajuice24
    lajuice24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for you loss. Grief is a funny animal but you will find lots of support here. Good luck!
  • bluesnowkat
    Options
    Deven,

I lost my dad last year while I was finishing my last semester of law school. Needless to say, I put on some weight with the major stress & devastating grief (even though I tried to keep working out). Grief can seem overwhelming at times, and like you said, a difficult thing to navigate. And while one's grief is deeply personal, I have found comfort/inspiration/help from talking to others folks who have/are going through it too.

Peace,
    Lynn
  • monkeybuttsmommy
    monkeybuttsmommy Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I lost my father last year unexpectedly. He was only 61. He died from a mild form of cancer due to abusing his body, not eating right etc and his body just gave up. I had a baby a month before that who was born with spina bifida. The two things combined put me in a deep depression and I was placed on medication. I finally felt motivated enough just last month to start changing my life. I was headed for the same thing my father died from and I wanted to be around for my son. Good luck to you and feel free to add me as a friend.
  • LiL_MisS_C
    LiL_MisS_C Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I've been using MFP for a couple of months now and have had success. I lost my husband last summer and went into so kind of weird Twilight Zone health spin of grief eating and then grief not eating. I started using MFP as a tool to keep track of what my mind (at the moment) is not able to.

I'm hoping to network with people that have gone through something similar. I've found that grief is a strange thing to navigate, and I need all the advice/tips/tricks I can gather.

Thanks!
    Deven

Sorry to hear about your loss, Deven. Unfortunately, it seems grief and stress go hand-in-hand and are equally detrimental to losing weight...no matter how hard to try to fight it. :( I suffer from a bad case of Season Affective Disorder in the winter time, and that seems to be when I gain the most weight. I'm glad to hear that you're not letting yourself get into a rut over your loss tho! :) You seem very determined to overcome any obstacles. For that, I commend you. :flowerforyou: Feel free to add me if you need a little extra support or motivation...I would be happy to help! :)
  • ColeyCannoli
    Options
    When my dad died when I was 19 I lost a huge amount of weight but more recently when my mom got sick I gained a lot... grief and stress are kinda funny that way. I'm so so so sorry for your loss and can't imagine what it must feel like. Please feel free to friend me. You sound very strong. Taking good care of yourself is key and remembering that so many people love you. :flowerforyou:

Edit: wanted to add that you shouldn't be too too hard on yourself either... you deserve time to heal
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    so very sorry for your loss. i know that when i'm depressed or sad, i don't eat and if i do, it's not healthily, so i get what you're saying. we're all here for you if you need us:)
  • anthrogirl
    Options
    Hi all,

I also lost my father a couple of months ago and it is very difficult to cope, some days you overeat and other days you want to eat nothing at all. I am also trying to use MFP and stay on track. My father died at the age of 68 from a heart attack. I know even more now how important it is to stay healthy especially when genetics can throw you off track as well. I am striving my hardest to be healthy and happy now, it is what my father would have wanted!

I am also trying to start journalling as a way of helping me track all of my emotions and thoughts.

If anyone else would like support or wants to share support while navigating through grief and getting to a healthy weight, please add me! :)