SMOKERS WHO WANT TO QUIT

Options
So I have been a smoker for x ammount of years..... I HATE it...... I dont know why I keep buying and smoking day after day, year after year.... I have really reached a point in my life where I JUST DONT WANT TO DO IT!!!!!!!!!! I have tried to quit before several times in fact but every time i keep comming back for more...... i always tell my self " you are killing yourself" but I just keep smoking!!!!

So does anyone want to quit and stay quit?????????

I have picked a quit date of the 4/24/2011........ does anyone want to join me?????

Replies

• bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I'll join you on the 25th :) Need to get past Easter stuff ya know. :)
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I quit October 17th 2010 and don't even think about them anymore & I smoked for 18 years! You can do this!!!!
  • happymommy2010
    Options
    I am willing, I too need to get past Easter, but willing to start Monday! Please feel free to add me!! :smile:
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    we quit in december. one thing i did was i just let myself snack on whatever i felt like for 2 weeks when i quit. some people will warn against this, but it really did help me. eventually i got tired of eating poorly and settled back into my normal eating habits.

now the smell fo it makes me nauseous. my boss smokes like a chimney and i don't even crave it at all ... it actually makes me feel sick now and i can smell it a mile away. :(

so if you really want to quit, just quit. it only sucks for about a week. then it evens out. just take it one moment at a time.
  • bethikabob
    bethikabob Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I know I need to, and every time I run I tell myself I'll stop. I rationalize it by telling myself that I'm not a regular smoker--less than a pack a week--but to prove to myself that I can stop I'm with you! No more excuses or rationalizations! 4/22/2011 (I have my first 5K the 23rd)
  • Ynnep1000
    Ynnep1000 Posts: 24
    Options
    I quit about a year ago for approx 6 months, then I started again. How stupid am I? Plus now I am smoking in secret so when I quit I have to pretend that I am fine!
    So YES, I will join you damnit!
  • DEE4560
    DEE4560 Posts: 139
    Options
    Good luck to all of you. Check into the air cigs. They seem to help kick the habit. I did it cold turkey 7 yrs ago. Wish they were around then I would definately try them.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    A warning tale for all smokers....

I have quit, just gone 3 years now but I must have quit too late.

I have emphysema, it struck early and it struck hard. Just climbing my stairs leaves me so out of breath that I cannot hold a conversation...just holding a long conversation leaves me so breathless that I end up doing all the listening! I quit before I got symptoms but obviously the damage has been done...now for the scary bit. I'm 43, I wasn't a heavy smoker, 20 on a bad day but usually between 10 and 15 a day but the last 4 years of smoking i was down to 20 a week. I never thought it could strike so young and never thought it could be me...I'm living (or is that dying) proof that it can be you, do what you have to, to minimise the risk of it being you.

To the original poster, you can do it, put the money you save in a clear jar so you can see it building up...its a great incentive!

Good luck
  • thenewkarisa
    Options
    I'll join ya!! I've actually been thinking about it for a week now... I've quit before so I can do it again :)
  • adriangoddard
    Options
    Today is going to be my last day. I have quite before many years ago, and I was hoping that getting back into shape would help me quit - but the reality is that it hasn't. I have been lying to myself that I have it under control and that I will be fine - I dont have it under control and I wont be fine - unless I take this last step to a better health and life.

Today is D-Day for me - from tomorrow onwards no more smoking - cold turkey - just like that.

I am hoping that by quitting smoking my exercise ability and stamina will improve and that it will help drive my ability to quit.
  • emyback68
    emyback68 Posts: 89
    Options
    I quit a little over 2 years ago with my hubby. I had smoked over a pack a day for 28 years, and he had smoked 2 packs a day for about the same amount of time. We used Chantix, prescribed by our doctor, and it was a MIRACLE! It was so easy to quit. You just take the Chantix and keep smoking, and after a week or so you start to forget about smoking (my doctor told me not to set a quit date and that worked better), and when you do have a cigarette its like you don't want it. I am so grateful to this medication. It took about 6 weeks and I was off completely.

Unfortunately my hubby has been going through a really stressful time and just started up again. Oh and it STINKS! I can't stand it, but it does not make me want to start again at all.

Good luck to anyone who wants to try, and talk to your doctor about this medication. I had no side effects except slight nausea if I did not take it with food.
  • Slayer66
    Slayer66 Posts: 265
    Options
    GL to you all, been almost 3 years for me, the almost $13 dollars a pack here in Canada motivated me lol =)
  • rhonda1960
    rhonda1960 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have been quit for 4 weeks now with Nicotine Lozenge and gum, using about 6-10 a day. Sometimes I feel like I'm substituting addiction from one form of Nicotine to another one, but know I can decrease the Lozenge over time and anything is better than smoking. I could tell in 1 week that I could breath better. You can do it for sure. It is getting easier every day and I have been smoking for about 30 years and so excited yet sad that I didn't do it 30 years ago.
  • AndreaWyland
    AndreaWyland Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I quit 3.5 yrs ago. My motivation was my children. I pictured them without me and thought how selfish it was for me to continue to smoke knowing I was risking getting very sick and dieing and leaving my babies without a mom. I looked up stuff on line when I was tempted about the risks,stories of women getting sick, family members left behind telling their story, etc. and that motivated me enough. I wasnt like some of the other posters, I only smoked when I drank but I drank quite often and sometimes consumed a pack to myself in a night of chain smoking and partying. And unlike some of the other posters, it was very hard for me. Everyday it did get better, this is true, but even 3.5 yrs later I still think about it (although I am and always will be smoke free:) from time to time when Im drinking and around it, I also have dreams about it. So dont feel defeated if you find its taking a long time to ween yourself. You just have to picture yourself a non smoker, youre never smoking again, and find something to motivate you, really motivate you. I quit cold turkey no cheats, no air cigs, no patches, meds, etc. I was a raging *$#@*! but I did it! You can do it too!!!!!! Good for you for going for it!
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    bump

I gave up cigarettes for Lent and all I can think about is smoking two very very long cigarettes on Sunday. It has been so difficult. But my husband (a non-smoker) seems to think if I can give it up for Lent I can quit all together. I just don’t know. Part of what made Lent easier was knowing I can do it after. : ( Not sure what to do…..and I too have health issues that should be motivation enough to stop. It’s so hard!!
  • hllamaster
    hllamaster Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    well I would but one thing at a time...excuses I know...when I get the money I'm going to get the pill you take to quit smoking couple friends went on it and did it !! good luck
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    bump

I gave up cigarettes for Lent and all I can think about is smoking two very very long cigarettes on Sunday. It has been so difficult. But my husband (a non-smoker) seems to think if I can give it up for Lent I can quit all together. I just don’t know. Part of what made Lent easier was knowing I can do it after. : ( Not sure what to do…..and I too have health issues that should be motivation enough to stop. It’s so hard!!

You have already done the hardest part, if you feel better with a set time then why not just set yourself lots of little goals, won't smoke til i've saved enough for a spa day, a pair of designer shoes/hangbag/jeans etc etc. If you see that money building up it will spur you on to keep going. if you haven't read my post a bit further up please do, emphysema is horrible but whats worse is knowing I've done it to myself, I can't expect or accept sympathy knowing its self inflicted. The emphysema is bad, the guilt is worse.
  • MissEmDizzle
    MissEmDizzle Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all who have replied...... to all who have quit I hope to be one of you very soon!!! and to all who want to join me in quitting for good..... WE CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!

I ADDED ALL OF YOU SO WE CAN HELP EACH OTHER OUT ON THIS VERY HARD BUT REWARDING JOURNEY!!!! GOOD LUCK TO US ALL
  • 1crazymom
    1crazymom Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Good Luck Everyone!!! I quit 6 years ago today!!! Cold turkey, my motivation "I wanted a baby". Was blessed he's 5!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Slayer66
    Slayer66 Posts: 265
    Options
    well I would but one thing at a time...excuses I know...when I get the money I'm going to get the pill you take to quit smoking couple friends went on it and did it !! good luck

If you mean the pill called champix [sp] i used it last time after two days never even thought of smoking and after 6 weeks i stopped it, got me past the major urge and munchie time..... and the anger lol