Konch! (Hi!) I'm Not New, But Looking For Some Inspiration!

Options
Hello to everyone! I'm Lydia (also known as Kick) and I have been using the MFP site for about 4 months on my phone, and now I decided that I should get to know people on the site to get- and give- some motivation. A little bit about me- I am young (but not immature) and I was inspired by watching the 2010 Olympics. Most of you probably know about Apolo Ohno, yeah? Well he became my obsession- and as I started loving him, I began to love short track speed skating and the other competitors as well. I decided that even though I am in junior high and not all that overweight, that I would begin training hard. So, MFP is something I happened to stumble upon. It has really helped me manipulate calories and tools so I can make sure my body is growing and that I am getting optimal nutrition, fat loss, and lean muscle mass gain. As a 13 year old, I know I am probably going to get some people to shy away from me because of my age- but I have as much seriousness about my health (because my mum is a protective nurse and my dad is a doctor) as an adult does, if not maybe more! I lost about 13 pounds so far, and my goal is not necessarily judged by the scale, but by how I am feeling (I am getting over my asthma and vocal chord dysfunction and am very proud,) and my measurements. I really want to hear and share other inspirational stories to help me when the going gets tough, and I would really appreciate anyone who could contribute!
Thanks so much for reading,
--Kick

Replies

• HoboRat
    HoboRat Posts: 13
    Options
    Kick. I'm WAAAAAAAAAAAY past 13. The only thing I can tell you, from experience, is that motivation must come from within. While you are training and getting physically tough, you need to work hard to learn to be mentally tough as well. That's where the motivation comes from, and the will to continue and succeed. You have to want it for yourself. Others can help support you, but they can't give you the motivation, spirit, and drive to get it done. That comes from within you. If this is something you really want, go for it, and don't let anyone or anything stand in your way. If you feel bad, work out anyway. Tired? Work out anyway. Friends giving you crap because you're not hanging out? Work out anyway. Once you realize that you have the physical AND mental toughness to prevail no matter what, you are on your way. Good luck.
  • reneegetshealthy
    Options
    Congratulations on deciding at a young age to make healthy lifestyle changes. Are your parents involved in your weight loss plan? I think that would be important.

I was underweight my whole life until the past 10 years or so. I had gained up to 230 lbs. (about 140 is a healthy weight for me) I had tried to lose weight unsuccessfully until July when a lady helped me with a program that has worked great for me. I have lost 70 lbs so far and have 20 to my goal.

My daughter is graduating from college in two weeks and my son from high school in a month. I want to be able to hike and do outdoor activities with my family. They are VERY supportive and are healthier too because of my changes.

Interesting that I too have asthma and vocal cord disfunction and since being healthier with my weight and exercise plan it has improved drastically.

Learn healthy habits that you can use for your whole life and you will be healthier and happier forever! This is a journey that is for a lifetime.
  • Lydiara
    Lydiara Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you so much for that really nice post- that totally rings true. I really appreciate that message, it's actually exactly what I needed! Arigato gozaimasu! (Thank you!)
  • Lydiara
    Lydiara Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks so much Renee! I'm really proud of my progress and yes- my parents are helping me! Especially my mum who loves doing activities with me now! Thanks for the advice and congrats on your amazing weight loss!