When do I get on the scale?

Options
Very nervous about my first weigh in tomorrow. I mean, it’s just to post on here, but I have not really weighed myself. I started sort of working out about two weeks ago and got serious this week when I joined a group with a summer challenge. What if I haven’t lost anything? And I have n o idea when to weigh myself. Do I do first thing in the morning or later right before bed. I dunno. I usually run in the morning even though yesterday I did an afternoon one too. Just very nervous. Also intend to record my measurements tomorrow so I can start tracking that with my weight.

So morning or afternoon weigh in? Not right after a meal, right?

Replies

• pgusman
    pgusman Posts: 2
    Options
    i tend to do it first thing in the morning - it's always a much better result and more motivating to eat really well throughout the day and exercise! Good Luck!
  • MissKeeKee
    MissKeeKee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've always been told to weigh first thing in the morning after you use the restroom so that your food has digested and you aren't holding water weight. Not sure how accurate that is though...
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning, as soon after you wake up and use the bathroom as possible. Preferably before you eat! Don't beat yourself up if you haven't lost anything, sometimes it takes time for the scale to move a little!!! Remember the scale is not a judge, just a tool!!!!!

Good luck!
  • HoboRat
    HoboRat Posts: 13
    Options
    Use the scale as an occasional check but don't get obsessed by it. Your weight can change daily and even during the day. Weighing yourself daily just creates stress. Multiple times a day is just foolish. A couple of times a week (max) to check progress is all you need. Focus on the workouts and the nutrition, not the stupid scale.
  • KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    you have a starting weight right? you got on the scale for and you can get on the scale for this.

I weigh in every sunday. I get up, give myself about 30 minutes eat no breakfast use the bathroom and then get naked and weigh in. once i do that i can eat breakfast and such :)

then... once a month, i take my measurements. bust, underbust, upper arms, waist, hips, thighs. :) sometimes i don't see a change in weight but see it in inches. that always makes me feel good. :)

you can do this. remember... its just a scale. :)
  • ciege77
    ciege77 Posts: 60
    Options
    Most recommendations generally lean towards weighing yourself in the morning as your metabolism has been working overnight, and you haven't eaten anything for the day yet. Weighing yourself every day can be deceiving, as many factors can swing your weight 3-5 pounds on any given day. Once or twice a week should be suffice. Also, don't get discouraged if you're not seeing results. Stick to your routine, take pictures, and measure yourself for at least a month to see if you're really getting any results. Losing a pound or two a week isn't what everyone wants to hear in an "Everything's Instant" day and age, but it's an ongoing process and a lifestyle change that will produce good results. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Good luck!
  • Janelle31
    Janelle31 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Like the others who responded to you, I weigh myself first thing in the morning and after emptying my bladder. I try not to weigh in more than once a week simply because some fluctuation is normal and there's no need in getting discouraged. I have heard that your weight can change by 5 lbs, or more throughout the day. I have also noticed that the week of my period my weight is often up by about 5 lbs. Just something else to keep in mind. Good luck!
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much all! I will def weigh in first thing in the morning.
    Opted not to weigh myself tho! Trying not to let the scale own me. I just took my measurements. :blushing: