Calories and breastfeeding.

Options
I know that the studies are not very complete on this but I just want to make sure that following the recommended daily intake will not destroy my ability to feed my baby right? Anyone know anything about this?

Replies

• sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    All i know is that when I breastfed my babies, I ate lots and breastfeeding melted the weight right off for the first three months or so, at least.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    You really should consult your OB before starting a calorie restricted diet. Trust me, you don't want your supply to diminish. It's not so easy to get back!
  • Codepink
    Codepink Posts: 6
    Options
    I guess I should explain a bit more. My baby is 8 1/2 months old. She was an emergancy c-section and I quit smoking the moment I saw her. I have 7lbs to go before I'm at my pre-pregnancy weight, but I want to be at my active weight, like when me and my husband started dating.
  • Codepink
    Codepink Posts: 6
    Options
    Oh and drs are few and far between where I'm from. We have to travel two hours to give birth so you can imagine what its like to see a specailist.
  • lots_to_lose
    Options
    I have a 9 and a half month old. I am breastfeeding (a lot-my guy is a big nurser and still nurses every 2 hours at night-lucky me!) and I've been eating healthier and reducing my intake for almost 9 weeks now. I've probably been eating less since finding MFP a few weeks ago than I was on my own when I was writing things down in a notebook. I didn't have an exact calorie target before MFP, I wasn't really sure how much I should be eating. I tried to just eat when I was hungry and not eat when I wasn't and make good choices. My calories were usually fairly close actually to what MFP tells me I should eat, but they did vary more than they do now Make sure you add breastfeeding 6-12 month old to your food log for the 300 extra calories. So far I have lost 22 pounds and I haven't noticed a decrease in milk supply. I have an appointment with my OB on Friday for an annual exam, so I may try to remember to talk with her about diet/weight loss while breastfeeding. Oh, I am not exercising at all yet. Can't figure out how to fit it in when there's so much else to do. When I do start, I will make sure to eat back most or all of my exercise calories probably to make sure I'm not short-changing my body and the lactation process.