vitamin b12

Options
I went to doc today and found out that i am very low in vitamin B12, I am waiting on my thyroid and vitamin d results but if these are low cant it affect my weight lose. I ask this because Last year on April 1 I weighed in at 261 and yesterday on the scale I weighed 230.5 So that's just 30 pounds in 12 months. That just seems low to me...

Replies

• missfittin_missy
    missfittin_missy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Yes it can and so can the Vit D... I read the other day that if someone takes Vit D and doesnt change their lifestyle whatsoever that they will still lose 2-3 lbs in a year just from that.... it boosts your metabolism. I take B12 with Lipo injections not for the weightloss but because I have a lot more energy by doing so. My mother suffered a B12 deficiency and did not know it until it was to late and has such severe nerve damage in her legs from it that she is no longer able to walk so keep an eye on it!
  • Htay88
    Htay88 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert. But i know that b12 helps with energy. I take some every morning. It really wakes me up. So when you get your count back up you will probably notice a signifigant change in your energy levels.

6199225.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • DeterminedMomNeb
    Options
    Thanks girls I chalked it up to getting more exercise in and working more so I am glad I found out its my b12 I am starting more vitamins and hopefully it will help me work out more and longer..
  • meg0013
    meg0013 Posts: 102
    Options
    b12 is required for the breakdown of some fatty acids, and their breakdown helps gives you energy (ATP) & boosts your metabolism.
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    If you are going to take a B12 supp. take a sublingual. I use Kal B12 spray. Just one spray under the tongue every morning. It gets into your blood stream quicker. Taking regular oral vitamins can sometimes not be so great. First they have to go through your digestive system, so it take longer to get into your bloodstream. And some studies have shown that pills are not alwas fully digested, so theres no gaurantee that they are actually getting into your blood stream. Also, my sister leanred that her B12 deficiency was caused by something I can't remember the name of, but she can't absorb B12 through her digestive system. Doesn't matter if it's in food or a pill. She HAS to get injections or take sublinguals. Its' worth looking into if you are a meat/dairy eater and still have a B12 deficiency
  • DeterminedMomNeb
    Options
    The doc did say to take B12 supp. take a sublingual. I will pick some up later but really hoping it help my metabolism.
  • Irish2002
    Irish2002 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was having some issues with my B12 so now I am doing a medical weight lose program were I recieve vitamin B12 shots once a month and medication to help with appitite suppression. I was stuck at 180 now I have lost 5.5 lbs in a month. But check with your doctor about it. I am trying to do this the right way this time. Because I can lose but it always comes right back. Good luck. I am thier for you if needed.
  • missfittin_missy
    missfittin_missy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I work at a weight loss clinic where they give B12 injections too... you can get them up to once a week... if you are deficient it may be because your intestines arent producing intrinsic factor which is required to absorb the B12 so taking an oral form does no good... you can get the sublingual at Walmart or most chain Pharmacies like Walgreens etc offer B12 injections for around 5-10$ Or if you know a nurse (or someone who knows how to give injections) you can get your DR to prescribe you some and have them give it to you. B12 has no side effects in a theraputic amount because it is a water soluable vitamin and it would be REALLY hard to get a toxic level due to passing it through urine.
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert. But i know that b12 helps with energy. I take some every morning. It really wakes me up. So when you get your count back up you will probably notice a signifigant change in your energy levels.

6199225.png

I had no idea that B12 did that! Will have to get some. Hopefully it helps!

4581915.png
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    It can really make a huge difference, not just with weight loss, but health in general. One of my best friends was diagnosed with a severe B12 deficiency last year. In the year she's been taking supplements she's seen huge improvements in the health of her hair and fingernails as well as a dramatic lessening of digestive issues.

And as a related FYI, if you have or know someone who has Bipolar disorder and they are having any unexplainable health issues, suggest getting their vitamin levels checked. Apparently it's very common to have a B12 deficiency due to the way their bodies are processing it.

Hope you are feeling better soon. :)