Not a fan of Veggies and Fruit

Options
What is an alternative to veggies and fruit to keep yourself nutritionally safe? I am in the process of learning how to enjoy them but a life time of not liking them won't change overnight!

Replies

• MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Do you like V8? Or fruit smoothies?

When I don't actually want to eat, I find it easier to drink my fruits & veggies!
  • kandalicious
    Options
    That's a great idea.. Thank you!
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Shakeology is formulated to cover your nutritional needs, especially for those who don't like fruit and veggies
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    You must like some of them! I mean, only sickos like brussels sprouts and not perfectly ripe papaya, but surely you like some fruits and vegetables...
  • Bexster88
    Bexster88 Posts: 35
    Options
    I only eat loads of veggie because I learned how to season them to taste good! Just go to the spice section of the grocery store. It's loaded with flavor to make veggies taste good. I use a lot of frozen veggies and some of my favorite combos are - lawry seasoned salt on peas, basil and garlic on green beans, and I love the McCormick garlic and herb medley on chicken and frozen stirfry veggies. There is no way I would be eating as many veggies without them. Plus, adding seasoning is basically calorie free, just watch you don't use too much salt! I keep seeing adds for salt free seasonings, so I'm going to check that out the next time I go get groceries.
  • kandalicious
    Options
    I do like a few yes. lol I was more looking for something replace the dark greens and berries..
  • kandalicious
    Options
    That does sound yummy.. Thanks for the tip!
  • mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    I used to dislike veggies too. I grew up on veggies that came out of the freezer. Yuck. I learned to like them when I cooked them differently. I spray on some olive oil, season to taste, then roast them on a high heat (450 to 500, depending on what I'm cooking). They're delicious. Never thought I'd say that about veggies! My fave is asparagus (only takes about 9-10 minutes on the highest heat.) I'm liking fruit a lot more now that I'm eating way less sugar.

I know you were looking for alternatives :wink: but thought I'd share anyway!
  • skeele
    skeele Posts: 72
    Options
    I have the same problem with my boyfriend. I can't get him to eat fruits/ veggies. He's very stubborn as well. I drink Shakeology, covers what I need in a chocolatey flavor!! Mmmmmmm.....!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Have you tried juicing? You can cram a whole bunch of gross stuff in juice and hide it with apples. You lose the fibre, though.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    My favorite is fresh asparagus coated lightly with olive oil and a couple squirts of lemon juice, sprinkled with sea salt and pepper, and roasted for about 10 minutes at 400 degrees. Absolutely delicious.
  • lauram12345
    Options
    What about some alternatives like dried fruit? Kind of like those organic fruit roll ups (without all the added sugar)? Also, the health food stores carry those veggie chips that are dried or baked with seasonings, they resemble potato chips. I love those, especially the sugar snap pea ones covered with seasonings, yummy. I'm not sure it counts, but for fruit I like to get an all natural herb tea (love Celestial Seasonings), a fruit flavor, and I mix it with water and stevia, then make it cold and drink it like fruit juice. Not sure if that one counts.Do you like sweet potato fries? You can buy healhty ones at most grocery stores now in the freezer section, I get some pretty cheap at Whole Foods, bake them and they are SOOOOO good.

Also, there's two books on making veggies and healthy food tolerable for kids, one was written by Jerry Seinfields wife. I haven't tried it, but I guess she has some good recipes for hiding veggies and fruit in yummy tasting stuff so kids don't know. Maybe I can get that from the library and we can check it out!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    If you aren't eating much in the way of fuit and veg, then you might need to take a multivitamin - check with your doctor what would be best for you.
    And, keep adding them in gradually - don't tell yourself that you "don't like" something until you've tried at a few times and in a few diffferent ways. I bet you'll be surprised by how delicious lots of veggies and fruits actually are.
    There are lots of ways to eat veggies without having a big pile of green beans on your plate - grated zuccini almost disappears into pasta sauce, spinach is yummy in scrambled eggs (specially with some fetta too), roast sweet potato makes a fabulous salad with baby spinach or any kind of lettuce/greens that you eat.
    Start with the ones you do like and add in a new one every few weeks - look for a recipe with other stuff that you like and put something new into it, I'm sure you will be surprised!
    Do you have a farmer's market nearby - buy something fresh and in season, ask the vendor the best way to prepare it and have fun experimenting!
  • Kebennett1
    Options
    I do not like canned or frozen, I prefer raw, lightly grilled or steamed vegetables with no-salt seasonings. I like fresh fruit, but smoothies are great if you don't like fruit fresh without covering the taste some! Just make sure you are making them low fat and not adding sugar! You can add Vanilla Protein powder to these as well to get more protein in you need it! Just play around with different ideas until you find what YOU like!
  • Natalie0506
    Natalie0506 Posts: 163
    Options
    You can throw a ton of spinach into a fruit smoothie and you can't taste a THING. But you get all the great benefits. My husband is also very fruit/veggie resistant, so when I can, I make him smoothies, and I just don't tell him what's in it. LOL.