Almost passed out at Zumba....need advice!

Options
Ok so I have been doing Zumba for 3 months now. I went to my class tonite like i usually do. I went through a few songs, everything is good. I got to the middle, started feeling nausious, finished my routine and was stretching started getting dizzy, stopped for a second, breathed felt a bit better, kept going, got dizzy again but this time everything was quiet and real bright, I started leaning forward and fell to my knees! Now! My question is why???What could have made me do that?? I have no clue whats up! Thats hasnt happened before. I am not sick! I ate today!! I am just clueless!! Anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• karanmwk
    karanmwk Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You might want to go see you Dr. about this!!
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough?
  • iluvmine
    iluvmine Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    dehydration.. or high blood pressure
  • bordersvm
    bordersvm Posts: 70
    Options
    Are you taking in enough calories? With Zumba or any high energy cardio you are burning a lot of calories and using a lot of fuel. Make sure your calorie intake is good and drink lots of water!!! Take it easy and don't over exert yourself. Make sure your heart rate comes down before you lower your head, etc. I hope this helps some :smile: Feel better!!
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? I'm thinking your sugar levels or your blood pressure is low. Are you having enough sodium?
    I'd mention this to your Dr.
  • arfdemob5
    arfdemob5 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Did you have a high protein snack about 1.5 before Zumba? this helps immensely.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    This happened to me about 6 weeks ago at the gym, I did 35 minutes of cardio, racquetball for 45 minutes, then worked with a personal trainer for 25 minutes, It was very scary. I was rushed to the hospital, my bp was 80/45, It turned out I was severly dehydrated, I got an IV bag and was on my way. At the time I thought I was going to die. I burnt about 1800 calories in that 1.5 hours, really pushing it. I worked out early didn't have enough time to get in enough water for that type of workout. Get some gatorade or powerade in you.
  • jhardenbergh
    Options
    my regular bp is usually around 115/68. I also only had about 160 calories in me since all I did was eat breakfast before I went.
  • Hsanders3961
    Hsanders3961 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    make sure you are hydrated and eating enough and maintaining your blood sugar. If it keeps up though, PLEASE see your doctor. There are many more serious things it could be as well, and you dont want to risk that!
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Have you had your blood pressure checked lately? Do you drink enough water?
  • jezziebeth
    jezziebeth Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me also during Zumba, and I've noticed that if I don't eat a snack before class, such as a banana, then I tend to get dizzy/lightheaded. If you're eating a snack/hydrating before Zumba, you need to see a doctor.
  • jhardenbergh
    Options
    I had the same exact symptons, first feeling nauscious, then It felt like my ears were filled with water or needing to pop like when your flying, and then the bright light and blurry vision scared the *kitten* out of me.
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    There is some kind of flu out there, everybody at work has it. Have you been around anyone that has been sick? You might be coming down with something. Also is it your TOM? I always feel a little weak around that time.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Sounds like deydration. Make sure you're well hydrated the next time you go. If it happens again in spite of increased fluids, see your doctor.
  • VRoseDuda
    VRoseDuda Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You might want to get a few things checked or at least monitor them.

1. Hydration---it not only flushes impurities and allows organs to funtion properly but it regulated your BP.
    2. Sodium---if you are watching your sodium, you might not be retaining what you are taking in. (in essence flushing too much)
    3. Heart Rate---depending on how fit you

3 years ago I didn't almost pass out. I DID.
    I passed out on a treadmill when I was working out alone and woke up 20 minutes later with a bad concussion. I spent 3 days in the ICU running tests for them to send me home and say it was a "freak" thing. I spent the next 2 months feeling lightheaded if I stood up quickly or became too warm.
    Finally I went back to the doctor and explained that it had not stopped. Took a tilt table test (yes, they strap you to a table) and have a condition called neurocardiogenic syncope. I take a beta blocker everyday to regulate my HR.
    I have a resting HR of 46 and a BP of 90/50 so basically this condition causes my brain to tell my heart to slow down when it needs to speed up sometimes which causes my BP to drop. Being that is so low already---I pass out.
    TA-DA!
    So, the moral of the story is "do not ignore your body"
  • BunnybeeJG
    BunnybeeJG Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    ya it really does sound like dehydration.... def. have a protein drink or soemthing before hand too because it'll help...

i get like that at work sometimes... its ... interesting to say the least lol
  • mandycox1301
    Options
    thanks everyone. I appreciate the input! Its been over an hour and Im still feeling a lil dizzy. Hope fully, it nothing big. My mom said something about checking about diabetes.....eh!!! Hopefully thats not it! Seems like a stretch!
  • marcyjane83
    Options
    I drink plenty of water before my aerobics class and every time w/o fail, if I don't eat something first (snack) I feel dizzy. I like to eat 1 piece of toast w/ pb before...some carbs, some protein, without feeling full. Hope it helps!
  • fsugirl26
    fsugirl26 Posts: 207
    Options
    I always try to have a little bit of fruit before and drink plenty of low calorie Gatorade during a workout, otherwise my blood sugar gets too low and I have the same symptoms as you. Our bodies have an amazing way of communicating with us...listen to it!
  • nomex
    nomex Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    could it be anemia? When your iron is low enough that it is not transporting adequate amounts of oxygen to the brain.....it can easily happen if you aren't eating enough red meat or have a heavy period.