Gym twice a day?

Options
Is it ok to go to the gym twice a day? I went earlier today for an hour and I want to go back tonight for another half hour. is that bad?

Replies

• karebear32505
    karebear32505 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I would say no! if you have the motivation Go for it! It can't hurt you! Just eat a lil more today, to eat some of your activity Calories! :-) Kudos!
  • gatedialer
    gatedialer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think so as long as you are giving your body enough food and water. I sometimes exercise twice a day (morning and early evening) but always make sure that I have eaten enough food and drank enough water. Now, if I am sore in anyway, I will just work out once that day.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I do a workout dvd in the morning...then workout for 2 hours in the afternoon....It seems to be ok.

2639362.png
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    No. It's good.
  • cupfanncbms
    cupfanncbms Posts: 101
    Options
    I go twice a day. I belong to two separate gyms. I hit curves first thing in the morning (7 AM when they open), and then later in the day, my daughter and I workout together getting in some cardio. I was really successful with Curves once a day the last time I lost a significant amount of weight (three babies ago), but I wanted to be able to do some elliptical and have a sauna, so I also joined the other gym. I am 8 years older this time 'round, and it's much tougher, so hitting the gym 2x a day has been great so far. :) Good luck!!
  • angebean
    angebean Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I used to go to the gym twice a day all of the time. As a matter of fact, I just realized yesterday that when I was really losing weight is when I was going twice a day, so go for it girl!
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    If you're having fun, go. If you're pushing yourself, take a break. And be sure to eat enough if you do choose to work out. A healthy body starts with proper nutrition.
  • meggiemaye
    meggiemaye Posts: 117
    Options
    I wouldn't think so! As long as you're staying hydrated and taking in enough calories, I think it's great that you have that much motivation! :smile:
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    As long as you are doing different exercise I think it is OK.
    And as long as your Life in general is in balance. As long as you are not becoming obsessed or Exercise is replacing relationships or other responsibilitys in your Life. If that makes sense?
  • LadyTig
    LadyTig Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Sometimes I just feel like why not go...got nothing else to do! :) Plus i kinda went over my calories a bit today. Want to get under the calorie limit. You guys rock! and thanks!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I go twice a day. I belong to two separate gyms. I hit curves first thing in the morning (7 AM when they open), and then later in the day, my daughter and I workout together getting in some cardio. I was really successful with Curves once a day the last time I lost a significant amount of weight (three babies ago), but I wanted to be able to do some elliptical and have a sauna, so I also joined the other gym. I am 8 years older this time 'round, and it's much tougher, so hitting the gym 2x a day has been great so far. :) Good luck!!
    :flowerforyou: I go to Curves almost every morning, and walk in the evenings. Three days a week I go to the Community Center to ride the Recumbent Bike.
  • missygail
    missygail Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I wouldn't see anything wrong with going twice a day. I mean it's a total of a hour and half of work out time. Probably a good way to miss the whole gym crowd by going around the popular times.
  • superstarcola
    Options
    I go twice a day two-three times a week, and once every other day.
    If you're weight training, don't over do it, just do it the one time :)
    And like everyone else is saying, make sure you get proper food and water :)
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I call this "double dipping". I have stupid names for everything.
  • lajuice24
    lajuice24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I wish I had the time to.
  • mumbz
    mumbz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for starting this. I have also been wondering if it's OK to workout twice a day without feeling completely exhausted by it. My worry with working out twice a day is. If I was to break it down into 2 45-min sessions, should be both be intense sessions? Should just one be intense? What do you guys think?
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. I go to the gym 2x's a day sometimes. It makes me feel good!! Just don't overexert yourself and get excercize burnout.
  • LadyTig
    LadyTig Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    So i just got back from my 2nd time at the gym today and I feel really good about it! I think I can get used to it. But I know not to over do it. I am making sure I am getting a good work out but not straining myself.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    When I'm in training I exercise twice a day, and on those days, I eat a ton of food. See my diary!

I wouldn't do it too often. It puts a lot of stress on your body.

That much exercise requires enough food to prevent muscle consumption. And, if your cardio sessions last more than 45 minutes, you should be eating something while working out (Gu, HammerGel, Gatorade, etc.) to give your muscles more glycogen to use. Eat enough in between to allow recovery. And don't work the same muscle groups twice. Maybe swim, then elliptical. But not elliptical and treadmill. Strength training and cardio on the same day (no more than three times a week) is ideal.

Too much info? Working out twice takes some strategizing, but with careful planning, you can work your muscle groups, get an intense workout, and get some great benefits.
  • Rockstar_rabbit
    Options
    Just be careful to not go too late. It may mess with your sleep.