Extreme couponing

Options

Replies

• NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    I haven't read all the posts, but I'm sure someone has said this already, but most of the people on that show DO donate ALOT of stuff. One of them send 1000 care package to troops over seas, one donated a crazy amount of cereal to his church, the one I'm watching right now not only donates to the community but also provides pretty much all of her son and daughter-in-law and other family members groceries/cleaning supplies/whatever else cuz she gets it for free, so why not?

I wanna be one of those people when I grow up! LOL

Well that's good to know that some of these people do donate some of their stuff. Ones that I have seen haven't said they do donate. I don't have enough time to be an extreme couponer, LOL.

I don't have the time either... And I don't think that way, I don't think I COULD figure out how to do it. I'm too unorganized lol.

It can take a long time, especially if you get carried away with it. But learning the basics isn't that hard. If you use conventional health & beauty products i recommend following a blog that matches up Target, Rite Aid and/or CVS deals. Health and beauty are the easiest to get deals on, are easy to stockpile (long expiration dates, shelf stable)... Then you can transfer some of your health/beauty budget to your food budget :) Once you get the hang of couponing for health & beauty it will be much easier to figure out how to do matchups for the grocery stores. I subscribe to a few blogs' facebook feeds and when i see an interesting coupon, i just print it then & there so i have it.

I am just as passionate about ppl learning to save with coupons as i am passionate about ppl learning to lose weight /get healthy with MFP!!!! :heart: :drinker: :heart:
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    Oh same here, I am very unorganized :laugh: :laugh:
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    as a side note, I'm kinda OCD about cleaning... almost every show I've seen the people have stockpiles of like clorox wipes, scrubbing bubbles, 409... that kind of stuff. I would be IN HEAVEN LOL.

I am not sure if this coupon is still available for printing (i already printed for a friend of mine) but here is $1.50 off clorox wipes which come out to just change after coupon: http:// [remove spaces] www.wickedcooldeals.com/2011/04/1-501-lysol-disinfecting-wipes-coupon.html
  • DreamLittleDarling
    DreamLittleDarling Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    as a side note, I'm kinda OCD about cleaning... almost every show I've seen the people have stockpiles of like clorox wipes, scrubbing bubbles, 409... that kind of stuff. I would be IN HEAVEN LOL.

I am not sure if this coupon is still available for printing (i already printed for a friend of mine) but here is $1.50 off clorox wipes which come out to just change after coupon: http:// [remove spaces] www.wickedcooldeals.com/2011/04/1-501-lysol-disinfecting-wipes-coupon.html

oh thank you!!! Mind if I "friend" you?
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options

oh thank you!!! Mind if I "friend" you?

nope, not at all :happy: I'd love to start a little thread to post good HEALTHY coupon deals, but MFP frowns on links :(
  • jsteras
    jsteras Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I use coupons also simply because I am on a tight budget and have to make every dollar count. I don't buy anything I won't use though. I use it on things for my healthy living that are quiet pricey. I just saved 18.24 on my grocery bill yesterday. You can always find coupons for oatmeal, kashi, fiber one, yogurt and my store gives coupons towards produce.
  • jsteras
    jsteras Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Forgot to tell you all if you are looking for coupons on products you use go to their web site. Like Kashi or Fiber one they usually have a coupon on the web site, or if you like their facebook page you will get a coupon:)
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    Oh, and i should have mentioned that the $5 off $15 produce coupon was for Price Chopper (northeast).... If you are in the Northeast and have a Price Chopper in your area, you can get the coupon on their Facebook page (they issue new coupons every Sunday via Facebook)
  • DreamLittleDarling
    Options
    Oh, and i should have mentioned that the $5 off $15 produce coupon was for Price Chopper (northeast).... If you are in the Northeast and have a Price Chopper in your area, you can get the coupon on their Facebook page (they issue new coupons every Sunday via Facebook)

I am in NOWHERE, Louisiana (thank you for that, U.S. Army! LOL) I've actually ONLY grocery shopped at the commisary, since we've been here. The only grocery stores in the town here are Wal-mart (which I hate) and Market Basket which I've never heard of... but from the outside looks a little skeezy so I've never gone in lol.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand the whole coupon thing - does "using coupons" mean that you go to the supermarket with a handful of little squares of paper saying "20% off yoghurt" or "2 toilet papers for the price of one"??

How on earth do the checkout staff deal with all these little bits of paper - doesn't it slow things down at the checkout? And don't you end up spending more on ink printing them all out?

Sorry if these seem like silly questions, but I live in Australia and we don't do coupons. Things are either on special at the shop or they aren't. Seems simpler to me.
  • DreamLittleDarling
    Options
    I really don't understand the whole coupon thing - does "using coupons" mean that you go to the supermarket with a handful of little squares of paper saying "20% off yoghurt" or "2 toilet papers for the price of one"??

How on earth do the checkout staff deal with all these little bits of paper - doesn't it slow things down at the checkout? And don't you end up spending more on ink printing them all out?

Sorry if these seem like silly questions, but I live in Australia and we don't do coupons. Things are either on special at the shop or they aren't. Seems simpler to me.

In a few words... yes thats kinda what it is. It really doesn't slow things down cuz you hand them all the coupons at the end and theyjust scan them real quick like they would the groceries. And then you get stuff that isn't on sale, for the sale price, or things that are on sale even cheaper then what they were originally priced. I'm not that great at it, but I def wish I was!
  • kittyinaz
    kittyinaz Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I recently saw a lady take her bill from almost $100 down to $9. It was freakin CRAZY! I'd love to coupon on stuff like toilet paper and paper towels and cleaning supplies since we use a ton of that stuff (lots of paper towels becaue of all the pets lol).
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    I've actually ONLY grocery shopped at the commisary, since we've been here.

I have heard there are great deals to be had at the commisary... A Full Cup has a forum dedicated to Commisary deals... maybe you (and others) would find an interesting deal or two www.afullcup.com/forums/military-commissary/
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Couponing is really not that hard. I stock up my pantry, fridge & freezer using half of the money I would pay for less food. It's aweso.e. I am saving that money towards our vacation!
    All it is, is waiting for sales & then using coupons on top of it. I for example do not pay for toothpaste anymore. I stocked up laundry detergent that will last me 6 months (family of 5 so a lot of laundry) for maybe 5$
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    LOVE this show!! I clip coupons.. but we're talking maybe one a WEEK at most. And in Canada, our stores never have those "double your coupon" days!

However, to the people complaining: STOP! Really... to those who complain that they're hoarders: maybe they are. But they donate a TON of the stuff in most cases. To the people complaining that it's "processed" foods they're eating: so what? If it comes down to poverty (as is the case in the episodes where they donate to food banks), the type of food doesn't matter.

Love the show. What a talent (albeit unique!) these people have, lol. Admittedly, some are a bit nutty though! :laugh:
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options

In a few words... yes thats kinda what it is. It really doesn't slow things down cuz you hand them all the coupons at the end and theyjust scan them real quick like they would the groceries. And then you get stuff that isn't on sale, for the sale price, or things that are on sale even cheaper then what they were originally priced. I'm not that great at it, but I def wish I was!

Well, it does take a bit more time than usual, but not burdensomely (especially if you are shopping without kiddos!!!!! LOL). If you know the store's coupon policy (best to carry it with you in your coupon file) and you are using the coupons for the proper product/size/quantity, etc they should scan thru without problems.

And yes, they are bits of paper... Some printed from the internet, some clipped from the Sunday newspaper sales inserts or magazines. The best way to save is to find/collect coupons for something you already buy and combine it with a good sale:

For example, i had a $1 off when you buy 2 Oikos greek yogurt (5.3 oz) coupons a while ago. I LOVE LOVE LOVE greek yogurt and try to eat organic as much as i can without being totally cost-prohibitive. So i collected a nice little stash of the Oikos coupons and sat back and waited for a sale. Sure 'nuff they went on sale from $1.99 each (YIKES!) to 4 for $5 ($1.25 each). The sale price was good, especially when you consider its organic, but its still more than Chobani, my fall-back brand, which is usually $1 - $1.09 each. BUT combining the coupon and a well-timed "double coupons" promotion i got them for 25 cents each ... actually i got 12... lol.... 12 * $1.25 = $15 minus (6) $1 off /2 coupons (doubled to $2 off 2) = $3 for 12 yogurts. AWESOME deal. They lasted about 2 weeks. And yes, i a typically eat greek yogurt almost every day anyways lol...

Anyhoo, yes bits of paper and no, not more expensive to print (i get reams of paper free so often i wont "buy" paper again for a long time)... Yes, takes a bit of time to learn the ropes, get organized, stay organized and for shopping/checkout time... But then again, its a hobby that pays. Its not for everyone but anyone can stand to learn a bit about saving money nowadays it seems :)
  • Fitfreak199
    Fitfreak199 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You can also tell by looking at some of these xtreme couponers that they have horrible diets bc they only eat/drink what they get for free. I saw lots of SODA, CHIPS, CANDY, PASTA, SOUP!!!

I am extremely interested in this, and have found some good sites to print coupons, but I still havent "matched" anything for free. A lot of the stuff I would never eat anyway...??? I'm not going to give up though......the grocery store and target are getting way too expensive for a fam. of 5!!
  • DreamLittleDarling
    Options
    I've actually ONLY grocery shopped at the commisary, since we've been here.

I have heard there are great deals to be had at the commisary... A Full Cup has a forum dedicated to Commisary deals... maybe you (and others) would find an interesting deal or two www.afullcup.com/forums/military-commissary/

OMG thank you SO much!!!
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    You can also tell by looking at some of these xtreme couponers that they have horrible diets bc they only eat/drink what they get for free. I saw lots of SODA, CHIPS, CANDY, PASTA, SOUP!!!

I am extremely interested in this, and have found some good sites to print coupons, but I still havent "matched" anything for free. A lot of the stuff I would never eat anyway...??? I'm not going to give up though......the grocery store and target are getting way too expensive for a fam. of 5!!

ulgh, thats my pet peeve of the couponing world! Buying total crap food in insane quantities because its cheap or free. ULGH. I just saw a woman posting how she had purchased like 20 boxes of brownie mix for close to nothing and at first i was like whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy why would anyone need that many brownies?!?! And then at the bottom she said she was making them all for a huge bakesale for the boy scouts. Ok, good 'nuff ;) lol

Hmm but i am guilty (and happy) about stockpiling pasta... whole wheat or "Plus" only though. And i don't eat much of it (anymore!) but my kids eat pasta several times a week so........ *sigh*

What store do you shop? Maybe i can point you in a good direction?
  • DreamLittleDarling
    Options
    So I went to A Full Cup, and then found the military shoppers website with the list of things on sale at the commisary, and found that Kraft bbq sauce is on sale for a dollar! I found a coupon for 50 cents off!

Such a small triumph, but I'm about to bounce out of my seat with excitement!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

There is going to be a couponing class here in June, and I am SO excited to go now. I already was excited, but now I'm even more excited!
    Seriously, THANK YOU!!