Is there a such thing as too mch vitamins

Options
I have went over everyday (only 3) on my Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Calcium and Iron. I was wondering if there are any negative affects because of this.....

Replies

• cjbnc
    cjbnc Posts: 32
    Options
    While some vitamins are toxic in mega-doses, getting 2-3x the recommended amount should not be a problem.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    you can get toxicities, esp in D, iron and zinc, but there's a fair range of "ok"
  • nlt518
    nlt518 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Vitamins A, D, E, and K are fat soluable vitamins and the body stores what it doesn't use. Iron, zinc and other minerals can also build up. Either can become toxic and dangerous more easily than you think.

For instance, I changed vitamins so I was getting 200% RDA of iron for 3 weeks. That is only twice the recommended amount. I had my blood drawn and I went from normal iron levels to toxic within 1 month. If I had continued, it probably would have caused significant liver damage in a short period of time.

It doesn't always require "mega doses" of vitamins to get you in trouble. Unless you are under doctor's care, stick with just 100% of RDAs.

Note: The other water soluable vitamins (B complex etc) are flushed through the body and are not stored. They rarely reach toxic levels, but if you take more than you need, you end up with very expensive urine.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    of course..but unless you take very high doses every day for months. the big concern is iron. you can get too much. mostly your body will filter what it doesnt need..which is most of the vitamins you'd take in pills anyways..and the rest is released in your urine. thats why when you take a vit your urine looks bright yellowish
  • zoombie_bear
    zoombie_bear Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    vitamines are a hack, if you eat well, no need for Vitamines unless you are knowned for a health issues