Serial Dieters - Do you know why you quit before?

Options
Are you a "serial dieter" who has tried different methods to lose to weight in the past, only to quit prematurely? My question is, have you figured out why?

It takes a certain degree of motivation to get started, and for most, once we start, we enjoy a (brief) period of success. It easy to find out why people start - the message boards are full of new members sharing their motivations. However there is no message board for those that quit. Many members just fall away. Why? It's an important question, because quitting is the biggest obstacle to succeeding. :)

Replies

• dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Depression did me in. I was going through marital problems, trying to work things out, I ended up quitting the exercise to spend more time with family. Marriage eventually failed, then I just wanted to eat junk. When your contemplating suicide, it is hard to justify busting your *kitten* in the gym, only to look good in your coffin. After a while I started back up with eating right, and exercising, but then I started dating too. Restaurants are not good on the diet, so I lost my motivation again. It took me until I was bigger than I was the first time to really stick with it.
  • BunnybeeJG
    BunnybeeJG Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    ... in the past i was this time i'm determined as hell lol

but ... i think a little of it was fear...
    being looked at in a different light wher eyou get attention that's not neg. and not being able to handle it possibly bc its not... what you're familiar with... idk that's my psychological view. now i just tell my self to stfu and just keep going bc i want to suprise my boyfriend in november.
  • Chikeebabe
    Chikeebabe Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    FRUSTRATION!!! I lost 95 lbs and then got sick last year with an inner ear thing. So, I was getting vertigo all the time. Started to gain weight and got frustrated as hell. Now I'm felling better and ready to get back at it!
  • idahogirl71
    idahogirl71 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    I would always quit in the past for a few reasons.

In the past:
    1. I always did fad diets instead of changing my lifestyle
    2. I always dieted to please someone else not myself
    3. I would give up whenever I would reach a plateau
    4. I would panic once I was down 25-30 pounds and would eat to gain the weight back
    5. I never dealt with the real issues of why I am overweight

This time:
    1. I am making lifestyle changes
    2. I am doing this for myself, not to please anyone else
    3. I have been through 2 plateaus so far and have stuck it out and gotten past them
    4. I did panic when I was 35 pounds but talked to others who helped me through it
    5. I have dealt with the issues from my past that are related to my obesity

I know this will work this time because I have already proven to myself that it is working and because I have a great support system!
  • aanddplusoanda
    aanddplusoanda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    The only reason I quit before was because I just found out I was pregnant but once I was cleared by my doctor 10 months later I started again. I have taken a couple breaks here and there because life gets crazy busy running around doing other things every day but starting back up isn't that hard for me. I am more than determined to get these last 19 pounds off and then I would like to lose 5 more after that but it's not that important to me.
  • dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    For me I've always quit before because I wasn't seeing any real results... it was like I wanted to loose all the weight I've put on in just a couple months... I realize now it takes time, and the slower it goes off the easier it will be to maintain!

I remember the summer before I became pregnant with my twins I was exercising every day ALL summer long... I didn't lose any weight but I did lose inches, but for some reason that wasn't good enough for me, and I gave up. Now my twins are 19 months old and I have 3 other kids in the house... I wanna be a good role model for them and get them active with me
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I'm at that place right now. Threw out my back and got a sinus infection all at once. It's easy to get down on yourself for not eating right and exercising, but I got to the gym today and I never quit logging. This site has helped where doing it on my own it was easier to quit. I wrote a thread about depression explaining my feelings on this. It has to do with the 2 month mark of any diet I've tried, and how that becomes the beginning of the end for various reasons:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/217881-depression?hl=depression#posts-2871599
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Usually, it's because I get to my goal and then stop paying attention and go back to my bad old habits.

A few times, I haven't got to my goal but got to a point where I was happy with how I looked, lost my motivation, and let the bad habits creep back.

A few other times, it has been because life stresses have been severe or I've been repeatedly ill and I've decided to take the stress of dieting out of the equation and let myself enjoy comfort food.

This time (like last time), I'm determined not to let this happen.
  • LeeBeeW
    LeeBeeW Posts: 100
    Options
    I had way too many excuses to rely on. Once I had had my kids, I eventually ran out of excuses!

Best decision I ever made was to change my lifestyle!
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds silly, but I was EMBARRASSED a lot of the time when I wanted to be on a diet. I have this (completely untrue, idealistic) concept that there's something WRONG with not just being BORN pretty, fit and healthy! Going on a diet or setting aside time to exercise when all of my friends seemed to be naturally thin seemed like I was failing at something.
    So, I'd diet when I was alone, but if someone offered me, say... a beer, or a piece of cake.. I would say yes!

ahhh, so silly. I'm over it now and proudly PROCLAIM that I'm working on myself/my fitness/etc, and I've been met with plenty of support so far!
  • kettlewitch
    kettlewitch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    For me, short term pleasure always won over long term goals and I told myself that I had years to get it sorted. And then the years went by and I was suddenly 40 and it just wasn't funny anymore. And now all the things that I knew could happen in the future are here and I'm now diabetic and full of gallstones and just so tired of it. I have a friend who is disabled from her weight and I do not wantto end up like that
  • bigmamma3
    bigmamma3 Posts: 134
    Options
    I have never done fad diets but everytime i have started losing weight i fell pregnant so I'm terrified this time it will happen again lol. there is nochance of that so I have no excuses this time.
  • BombolinaM
    BombolinaM Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Very good question. I think I've quit in the past because lack of motivation and just being plain lazy. I feel determined now to drop the weight. Not just to look better but to feel better. I was thinking today how much more energy I have and that I look forward to a new me.
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    In the past I lost around 50 pounds, and stopped trying to strive for more. I wasn't eating all that well (I went back and looked at some of my journal entries from 2009 - terrible!), rarely exercised, and I wasn't tracking my macronutrients. I instead relied on eating diets that ranged from 900-1200 calories a day, averaging 1100 a day. People around me would say, oh you look great/fine now, and I let it get to my head, even though I knew I wasn't yet at the weight/size I wanted to be at.

Two major roadblocks to weight loss in the past for me are that I have never fit comfortably in a 14, nor gotten below 180 pounds. I think as I began to get close to those I slacked off because I didn't know how to handle actually passing them.

This time I'm going about my weight loss in a steady fashion, and am taking it one week at a time, with mini-goals along the way. I just passed my first mini-goal, which was to get out of the 200s and into the 100s again, so now my next mini-goal is to pass the hump that has evaded me for years now, getting below 180 pounds.
  • Pawsntails
    Pawsntails Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm pathetic when I'm ill, so I get a cold n feel really sorry for myself n eat then don't go back to being good after. I can however say I have survived my first mfp cold without quiting.
  • barbs2fat
    Options
    this is an excellent question. I'm at the point of quitting right now. I've been on a pateau for 2 months now, tried changing different things like my exercise and calories but nothing helps. I have tried dieting a number of time now and quit because the results were just not forthcoming.
    It seemed like a huge waste of time and energy and being surrounded by family and friends who enjoy take outs and
    processed foods didn't help much either.
    This time i had decided it was a lifestyle change and was so sure it would work. Joined the Tony Ferguson team and saw some results but in 6 months i have only seen a 6.5kg drop and this for me is just depressing. When i read other blogs
    and see the amount of weight they are losing in the same space of time as myself then it really makes me worried. Not wanting to compare my weight lose with others but at least i should see a reasonable enough figure. I'm just so
    put off and seriouly considering giving up. I am at a loss for new ideas.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I'm a serial long-term monogamist with diets! A decade ago I lost a ton of weight nice and slowly by counting calories and exercising. Now I'm doing the same but with MFP's help :smile:
  • AnneFordham
    Options
    I have always quit in the past because I was not allowing myself enough to eat, being constantly hungry means I just crave food, all I thought about was food!
    What is different this time is that by counting my calories I realise I can eat more than I thought and still lose weight, my exercise calories are my trade off - if I am good and do some exercise I can then treat myself, the more exercise I do the better the treat... it works for me!!
    The gym doesn't do it for me at all, I don't like getting hot, sweaty and out of breath, and at almost 45 yrs I am not after perfect ABs! But I do a lot of walking (I have a pedometre which is really useful for seeing how much I have benefited), I ride a bike and I swim.
    Eating three meals a day really does stop me snacking in the evening too - I had heard this before, but never really believed it...
    Living on my own is a help, I don't have to take anyone else's meals into account, I do eat a lot of processed foods, but from the healthy ranges, which is a whole lot better than the take aways I was eating before.
    Also, and most importantly for me, is there is no hurry, I will lose the weight I want to, but at a managable speed. 1lb - 1.5lbs a week is fine, if I don't lose any some weeks thats fine too - putting weight on though is definately not fine!!
  • AnneFordham
    Options
    I know it sounds silly, but I was EMBARRASSED a lot of the time when I wanted to be on a diet. I have this (completely untrue, idealistic) concept that there's something WRONG with not just being BORN pretty, fit and healthy! Going on a diet or setting aside time to exercise when all of my friends seemed to be naturally thin seemed like I was failing at something.
    So, I'd diet when I was alone, but if someone offered me, say... a beer, or a piece of cake.. I would say yes!

ahhh, so silly. I'm over it now and proudly PROCLAIM that I'm working on myself/my fitness/etc, and I've been met with plenty of support so far!

I understand this, I would actually diet in secret, so that I could fail in secret, rather than have to face the truth and tell others that yes I failed again! Glad you are over it now, I am too!
  • recwrite
    recwrite Posts: 4
    Options
    I generally reach a goal when I put my mind to it ... but those were "diets" and the weight came right back each time. Frankly I was too good at the deprivation / reward cycle.

I'm off that roller coaster and have learned the hard way (with some serious health issues - muscle wasting and vitamin/mineral deficiencies to overcome at the end of my last diet) that I have to take it slow and steady. The goal is to be a healthy weight -- not lose weight!