Trying to bust the food addiction

I have been working on this food addiction thing I have and have lost 44 lbs in 3 months. I am getting discouraged though and I have been thinking of bread a lot with lots of butter and jam. Hot homemade bread. I havent eaten any but it scares me how close I am to making all this hard work go out the window. Please help! fran

Replies

• I have been working on this food addiction thing I have and have lost 44 lbs in 3 months. I am getting discouraged though and I have been thinking of bread a lot with lots of butter and jam. Hot homemade bread. I havent eaten any but it scares me how close I am to making all this hard work go out the window. Please help! fran
  • kimmerlyjo
    kimmerlyjo Posts: 134 Member
    Honestly, in my experience, you really shouldn't deprive yourself of a craving... now by NO means am i saying go eat an entire loaf of bread with a whole stick of butter and a whole jar of jam... but maybe have 1 piece with just enough of both to give the flavoring... what i've seen from my own experiences is if i keep forcing out a craving then eventually i give in and go overboard and would eat that whole loaf!!!

Figure out what your calories will cost you for one slice with a little of both toppings and just add a little more exercise for the day. :flowerforyou:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    The best part about MFP (besides it being free!) is that we CAN have things that we love every now and then! We DON'T have to deprive ourselves, like we did on regular diets over the years. I KNOW that's why MFP has worked, when all other methods of losing weight have failed for me.
    You CAN have some of the bread that you are craving, you just need to "work" for it with exercise, and watching your numbers.
    I know myself that once every few months, I CAN have Chinese food, and about once a month I indulge in a McDonald's double cheeseburger too. Heck, the other night, I had fried clams and French fries! But, I did alot of exercising, and am just staying under my daily numbers, and I'm sure I'll do just fine come weigh in day!
  • I completely agree with both above comments! You can set yourself up for disaster if you do not give yourself a LITTLE treat once in a while. The method my husband and I do is give ourselves 1 treat meal for the week. We usually plan it on Friday night or Sat., but we allow ourselves to have something we normally don't have during the week. If I'm craving french fries, I'll have some. But, the key is to not eat them all day and to still exercise. It all balances out. Also, you can curb that craving with lower fat, lower sugar substitutes to help.
  • Lizjkp
    Lizjkp Posts: 278
    I think we all need to heed the good old saying "A little of what you fancy does you good" remembering the operative word "LITTLE" and add "As long as you have earned the extra calories"

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have forgotten how to fly"
  • There is no one else in the whole wide world like you. I’m sure you have heard that before, but I wonder if you understand how true it is and how precious you are. We are not always treasured on this earth. Our relationships with our parents, siblings, kids, friends or spouses can lead us to believe that we may be unique, but that it’s not a good thing. So often we are encouraged to blend in, don’t rock the boat, don’t be different, but I say, rock that boat, and be who you are. . . .

When you hold back who you really are, we all miss out. Getting control of you means being truthful to you and taking care of you. So whether you are a mommy sport nut like me or a wordsmith, whether you like high heels or flip-flops, be who you really are. You have a voice and a style that is all your own. It has been given to you by your God so that through you, a unique individual lives on this earth to bless all of us with your many treasures. We believe in you. Just give yourself some time and keep at it.
  • Hey Fran, I'm a big bread and butter lover. I don't deprive myself of it, but I have found that "Natures Own Double Fiber Whole Wheat" satisfies my craving. 2 slices for toast, sandwich or 2 with dinner is great! Here is the break down, 1 Serving= 1 slice, Cals=50, Total Fat 0.5, Dietary Fiber=5g
    The more fiber you can find in the bread, the more filling it is. Not to mention it's good for you too.
    Give it a try and see if you like it. Need the butter or jelly, get low fat butter or there is sugar free jellies that will work for you......Good luck, we'll help you on your journey.
    "Nothing tastes better than feeling thin."
    Lynda