The Couch-to-5K

Options
Has anyone here done it? I was researching it a little bit last night, and I think I want to try it. I just never run/jog. In the past, I would become every short of breath, so I just don't do it.

What do you think about it? Does it work? Anyone here tried it who was completely out of shape and been able to do it?

Replies

• Shawna1080
    Shawna1080 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I started last night and about half way through my side was hurting but my husband thankfully went with me and made me push through. Felt so good afterward to be able to say I finished Week 1 day 1. I think it is a good way to start running. Just have to push through the initial resistance! Good Luck!!!
  • vicidoesstuff
    vicidoesstuff Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I've done it! Started in January this year and finished in March. I keep up running and have signed up for a 5k in September as well as a half marathon (eek!) in March next year and will be doing another half marathon in October this year... as well as hopefully the London Marathon next April.

So, yeah, it gets you into shape! It's good enough that it allows you to recover rather than just pushing you to run for too long. It's like a slow nudge in the right direction. It's definitely worth it :)
  • ejb245
    ejb245 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 8, day 2, which is running 28 minutes. When I started, running 1 minute was rough. Now, 28 minutes isn't easy, but I don't feel the need to walk at all. Totally worth it. I've never been a runner and the program has made me enjoy it by building up to a point where I can run for 3 miles and not be dead. :)
  • distant_dreamer
    Options
    i would love to do a 5k run, would be such an acheivement, but ..... i've tried running in the past and got shin splints :( i got new running trainers and started slow by walkin then running and so forth but got worse, peeps told me to run through the pain but it was unbearable ! maybe when i've lost some more weight i can try again.

good luck with ur challenge xx
  • emberd
    emberd Posts: 36
    Options
    I'm planning on starting it too! I have the app on my ipod, so that tells you when to run and when to walk. I figure, even if I can't run the whole way, I won't move past that day until I do. It will take me a bit longer, but I'm going to give it a shot!
  • ShannyM2020
    ShannyM2020 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used to have the app on my ipod and would do it for awhile.. I Made it about 3 weeks into it then screwed up my ankle so I was out of commission for awhile and then got side tracked with alot of things that came up. I do plan to try and do it again with the treadmill work out plan on the Couch to 5 k site. I'm seriously out of shape and definitely not a "runner". I'd like to be my husband is and so are my twin teenage daughters.. The jog for a min walk for a min thing does actually help out alot and doesn't make it such a miserable experience running.
    Good luck!!
  • kcrowley03
    kcrowley03 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have done a few 5k's in the past. They are aweswome! The key is to go slow, pace yourself. I was so excited the first time i wore myself out before I was half way. Stay hydrated. That cramp in your side could have been from dehyration. Good luck!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Started in late December, and was able to run 5k by the end of February! I did my first race on March 20th and have done two more since then, getting faster and faster each time! Last time, I finished 24th out of 52 runners, 6th out of 24 women, and 3rd in my age group!

I'm doing another 5k next Wednesday, and a 5 miler on May 1st. Then the Warrior Dash in June and a 10k in July. Maybe a few others, too.

Yeah, it works. Maybe a little too well! It's addictive! :happy:

Stick with it. Go slow. And remember... you're only competing with yourself.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I'm in Week 5. Yes, it does work.

If you start it and find it to be too challenging, you might want to look at one of the Jeff Galloway Run/Walk programs.
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 8. I highly recommend it to anyone!
  • jpowell3976
    jpowell3976 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on starting it too! I have the app on my ipod, so that tells you when to run and when to walk. I figure, even if I can't run the whole way, I won't move past that day until I do. It will take me a bit longer, but I'm going to give it a shot!

That's how we're doing it too! Staying in week 1 until it's easy, then we'll bump to week 2. I started cardio as slow as possible that way I have nowhere but up to go! LOL!
  • SarahSway
    SarahSway Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Just completed week 4 day 2 this morning. I can't believe I've been able to keep up with it, I absolutely love C25K and I've never been a runner.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I did it last year and I'm still running today. It works!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I did C25K last fall and since then I have run five 5K's, a 3 miler and will be participating in a 5 miler on 5/7. So I am a HUGE fan of the program! Good luck with it!
  • WonderNoodle
    Options
    i started it in january and was afraid of the 90 second runs. i ran THIRTY MINUTES in the end, just did my first 5k this month and have another next month!

as long as you don't tell yourself you CAN'T..........YOU CAN! :drinker:
  • quentien3
    quentien3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say. I was 319 pounds when I decided I needed to get fit. The first thing I did was download an APP on my iPhone called Couch to 5k.

I believe when you follow this program inconjuction with tracking your calories (Make this a 7 day religion) You will see results in no time. It will do wonders for you.

By the end, You will be structuring stength workouts that will help you run faster and longer. That was about 1 year and 4 months ago when I first getting serious. Now I run 9 miles a week.

Yep, 3 miles (at least) 3 times a week. If I can give any advice, Don't have your calories too low, It will be counter productive. Trust me.
  • lejess
    lejess Posts: 63
    Options
    I did this program last summer, I made it all the way to week 8 and well....Im embarrassed to say that things happened and I never finished. Im working on the program again now, I'm into week 5.
    Everyone's personal exercise discipline is different, but for me, I work best with a partner. So if you can talk a boyfriend, husband, best friend, neighbor, whatever, into doing it with you, that can really help.
    I was working out with my sister and she's in shape, so whenever it got hard, she kept pushing me to keep with it. The program is not easy. Its a good program that gets results, but it will challenge you (thats the point right?!)
  • afleming22710
    afleming22710 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies!:) I am DEFINITELY excited to start it now!
  • Bubs05
    Bubs05 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Check this web-site for more info:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/index.shtml

If you have an ipod or smartphone, there are all kinds of apps and podcasts available for the program.

Good Luck!
  • CarolMorris66
    Options
    I start week 6 tonight and just can not believe I ran for 20 minutes last time and if i am totally honest, it really didn't seem THAT bad!! Considering I thought I was dying during my 1 minute runs at the beginning!!!

Go for it.... if I can do it, you can! Good luck