Disordered Eating...

Options
Today I was thinking about the many weird things that I do around food, and it got me wondering... Who else is bonkers? Lol. Share your madness with me, I'll share (some) of mine with you... :tongue:

I eat my food in specific orders. If it is coloured lollies or chocolate (such as m&ms), I will eat them in order of lightest colour to darkest. I will also order them before I eat them. In fact, this Christmas I made gingerbread men with m&m buttons. When I had finished decorating them, I took all the left over m&ms, sorted them into their colours, put each colour into it’s own sealed freezer bag and stuffed the bags back into the original packet. When my mum saw it a few days later she thought she was going crazy. Little did she know it is actually me who is completely bonkers.

I will only eat and drink food with a specific set of utensils and crockery. I have done this my whole life. No one else is allowed to use “my” things, and if they do I completely flip out. It’s so bad that if the particular item I need is dirty or otherwise unavailable, I won’t have the food I was intending to eat. For example, I only ever eat custard out of a purple bowl, and if the purple bowl is unavailable, no matter how much I want that custard I simply cannot eat it. This bizarre habit follows me around from place to place too; I have ‘sets’ of cutlery and crockery everywhere I go. And if it’s somewhere I haven’t been before (such as a friend’s house), whatever I use on that first day is the only thing I will use from thereon in. Same with restaurants.

I can only eat certain foods at certain times of the day. For example, yoghurt is a lunch time food and cannot be eaten at a time other than lunch. If I happen to eat it for some reason, it literally does not taste the same to me, and I usually do not finish it. This applies to breakfast cereals and other meal specific foods (both real and imagined).

Different food groups must not touch on the plate. Ever. They may, however, touch on my spoon/fork/knife/chopstick. Weird, right? If I eat a yoghurt and muesli thingo (love ski double up crunchy muesli...) I get a grain or two of muesli, dip it into the yoghurt and eat it off the spoon. I wouldn’t even dream of dumping the muesli into the yoghurt like you are supposed to. Ick!

I have more, but I'm keeping them to myself for now... Lol. So what weird things do you do? (*Is desperately hoping for responses so that she doesn't feel too insane*)

Replies

• b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    that is not disorder eating hun, that is OCD. My son was like that for a while, but that was due to all the change he has had to endure in his 6 1/2 years of life. I wish you the best of luck with everything.
  • starboardzor
    Options
    Sounds OCD, not jokingly, but seriously. But as long as it doesn't interfere with normal operations of your life, who cares? We are all a little crazy! I'm a neurotic, often depressed, self hating, alcoholic. i can't judge anybody! I don't do anything weird with food. I do feel guilty eating when I haven't worked out at least two hours that day. I can run four miles that morning, but if I haven't worked out an additional hour later on in the day I feel extremely bummed and fat.
  • rosiekyla
    Options
    i eat yogurt, ice cream, pudding (anything cold, soft texture) with a plastic spoon because i can taste the metal. i don't eat blue foods because i can taste the 'blueness" or bitterness of them. i have certain cups i drink out of and there has to be a certain amount of ice in the cup. i also have certain dishes i eat off of because i think they make the food better. i also only use a certain kind of dishsoap and dishwasher detergent because everything else leaves a weird taste. quirks! just quirks! sometimes i laugh about them and sometimes i think they are a little strange. to each his own i guess!!
  • ahanson6
    ahanson6 Posts: 102
    Options
    I didn't realize I did this until my father-in-law pointed it out, but I guess I will subconsciously pick the thing on my plate that I like the most, then eat the food immediately to the right of it. I will continue eating one thing on the plate at a time counter-clockwise around my plate until I get back to my favorite food which I eat last. My father-in-law pointed this out after my husband and I had been married for several years. Evidently, he had been watching me do this for a while and said I always eat the same way.
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    sounds more like that how you chose to eat then weird eating . my sister is like that she will eat mustard on a hamburger but not on a hot dog. again her prefer choice . like me i prefer to save my calories for evening even though people shout no eat during the day it when your metabolic is high an yadayada but it have never messed me up to eat most of my cals at night. when i use to eat candy jelly beans where something i had to eat a certain way or i just didn't eat them. i have a certain mug i drunk coffee out of if it not around then i will not drink coffee at all. im the same way at someone else house i just cant enjoy the coffee with out my certain mug weird? nawh it just what i prefer.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Mild OCD, sure. We all have a touch of it! I like to eat each item on my plate one at a time, usually starting with my least favourite item - veggies, starch, meat - I love meat. I do the same with candies. I had some Skittle the other day and I ate all the green ones first (yuckiest ones for me) and saved the red ones for last (my favourite). Are you in the UK? You know Smarties then (not American smarties - euro and Canadian Smarties)...'when you eat your Smarties do you eat the red ones last?..."
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Pickles are evil. They smell bad and they leak everywhere. When ordering in a restaurant I will always request no pickles. If my food arrives and there is a pickle on the plate, I will send the food back because my food has been tainted with evil juice. Ew. Gross.

Crackers are put in soup two at a time. Otherwise, they get soggy and I can not eat them.

I like gravy on my meat, but not my potatoes. If they have to be served on separate plates to keep from touching so be it. The same goes with veggies, always in a separate dish so they do not touch any other food.

You are not crazy, m&m's must be eaten according to color or else there is chaos in the universe!
  • imaprncs
    imaprncs Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I drink water at room temp only (unless it is a million degrees outside), i only use plastic cups for drinking, i always us "small forks" (or desert forks) for all meals. I absolutly HATE tomoatoes and anything made with them, thats right i don't eat ketchup, I will only eat pasta sauce if I make it and at resturants I tell them it is an allergy so there is no tomatoe slime on my food
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of the same way with M&Ms and jelly beans - if I'm having two, they must be the same color, if I eat them one at a time, each bite must be a different color. Makes sense with jelly beans because they have flavors but M&Ms pretty much are all the same so it's sort of weird. LOL!

DH won't eat beets or sweet potatoes because of their strong colors. He also doesn't like the feel of glass drinkware, they must be plastic. Thankfully I've found some pretty plastic cups through the years.

I also have quite a few friends who don't like their food touching. One is so bad, the idea of shepherd's pie just grosses her out.
  • xxMsComptonxx
    Options
    I smell my cups before i drink out of them.
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I dont have anything weird like this really. With m&ms I do save my favorite color for last but it doesnt matter how the rest are eaten. I use plastic utensils, but for the simple fact that I always burn my mouth with metal utensils if im eating hot food and i can not stand the sound of metal on teeth. I cant have ice in my drink because of my sensitive teeth. but thats about it.