Swaps! Which have you made?

defygravity531
defygravity531 Posts: 289 Member
edited September 26 in Food and Nutrition
Have you switched from 2% milk to skim? Wheat thins to triscuits, etc?

Which swaps have helped you?

Replies

• Shawna1080
    Shawna1080 Posts: 18 Member
    Candy to fruit!
  • JMM_623_
    JMM_623_ Posts: 68 Member
    Real Eggs to Egg Substitute, Regular Salad Dressing to Light, Fresh Herbs instead of Salt, Regular Bagels to Bagel Thins...I'm sure there are more :)
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Candy/Soda to Fruit/Water.
  • Two servings to one has really been my key to success
  • vxmittyxv
    vxmittyxv Posts: 122 Member
    I was never a big Junk food eater, except for fast food. So my biggest swap in McDonalds to Subway when I have to eat on the go.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    I drink fat free milk from a local dairy but it is only available in the areas right around Oklahoma. It is called Braum's and it is the absolute best tasting fat free milk I have ever had and it is not watery like most fat free milk I have tried. I eat triscuits but you have to watch how many you eat. I also drink Coke Zero but I am trying to cut those out. Unfortunately, I don't drink anything else with caffine so that is how I get going in the morning. Oh, a long time ago I went from sweet tea to unsweet. That is like a sin in Oklahoma.
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Two servings to one has really been my key to success
    ditto

I didn't realise until I started doing MFP that my roommate who does 90% of the cooking, would cook 1+ pound of meat to split between three of us. Most days now, I cut dinner in half and take half to work the next day(unless my calories are low enough for the day that I need the extra push).
  • llyndon
    llyndon Posts: 73 Member
    Two servings to one has really been my key to success

This is what's worked for me as well. The only real substitue I've made is baking breaded chicken instead of frying it. Otherwise I eat the same foods I've always eaten, just less of them!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,459 Member
    A big one for me was cutting down on amount of protein on my plate (keeping it at a single serving) and adding more veggies, also switched from dairy milk to almond milk and reduced fat peanut butter to natural peanut butter.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Orange/grapefruit juice to tomato/veg/ no-sugar cranberry.
    Packet of potato chips to handful of almonds or roasted soya beans
    Mashed potato to mashed sweet potato
    Olive oil to canola (for cooking) or hemp (for salads)
    Toast or cereal breakfast to eggs.
  • I've cut back on my sweet tea and dark cola (coke, pepsi, rc) addiction and swapped it out with water with lemon. I also get my low fat milk from Braums. The kids never know the difference.
  • prov31ms
    prov31ms Posts: 62
    Regular bread (80-130 per slice) to low calorie whole grain bread (40-45 calories per slice)

Regular cheese to reduced/no fat cheeses

Full fat flavored coffee creamer to non-fat coffee creamer

80/20 ground beef for 93% - 96% lean ground beef

Eggs in recipes for egg beaters in recipes

Regular margarine/butter for Land o Lakes light butter (50 calories)

and more....
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    2% milk to almond milk.. soda to sparkling water
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Real Eggs to Egg Substitute, Regular Salad Dressing to Light, Fresh Herbs instead of Salt, Regular Bagels to Bagel Thins...I'm sure there are more :)

Good start but you quickly realize that egg substitute is full of chemicals so try egg white cartons instead and light dressings are so full of sodium 500-900mg for 2 tbsp.

I'm guilty of the egg beaters myself so I’m not judging just pointing out how we ALL often go too far cutting out “bad” foods. I've personally learned to ADD BACK more real food into my diet. I don't get enough fat so I switched back to 1% milk rather than skim and I started eating natural peanut butter daily in order to reach my fat minimum.

For salads I add 25g avocado for some fats and use fresh salsa, Jake's Garden fresh from Costco is delicious and is made of real vegetables and has almost no sodium. If you don’t eat PB then go for oil and vinegar for a delicious dressing full of good fats. I never would have thought of salsa as a dressing until I saw someone on MFP that was eating it daily with spinach and chicken breast, it’s delicious!
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Diet soda to green tea
    Dressing to lite
    fruit flavored yogurt to plain
    fruit vs candy
    white rice -brown
    sweet potato from white potato
    white bread to whole wheat
  • Contrary03
    Contrary03 Posts: 289 Member
    Switched from whole milk to skim, whole eggs to whites, soda to water.. red meat to chicken/tuna/fish..... I've made huge changes to my diet all around and thought missing the soda would be the hardest but found that i don't miss or crave anything EXCEPT: steak & greasy cheeseburgers on big onion rolls!...LOL Tmr is weigh in for me and i hope to see results!!!
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Less eating out- eat at home
    Less bread- find something else to eat
    Less baking- if it's there I eat it! Buying 100 calorie items instead.
    Less sweets in general- fruit
  • white bread to Sara Lee 45 calories and delightful bread! still just as yummy! :)
    Dr. Pepper(every day) to Diet Coke(only once a week) and green tea
  • Plumpqt
    Plumpqt Posts: 156
    2% milk to skim, soda to water, processed carbs to whole grain
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Fried chicken to panko crusted baked chicken. Starches at every dinner to more than 1 type of veggie. White to whole grain. Full fat ice cream with brownies ot cookies to skinny cow anything. Regluar wheat bread to sara lee 45 cal wheat bread. Whole eggs to egg whites.

Reading over this and actually having to think of the things I have "geiven up" does not really seem like that big of a deal anymore.

After all, nothing tastes as good as skinny feels!! And I feel AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.