Vent: I feel like my body is betraying me...

Options
I'm feeling quite frustrated. I've been using MFP for about 3-4 weeks (I signed up before, but was not really focused). Since 4/5, I've lost almost 8 lbs. However, I have only lost 0.3 lbs in the past 9 days. I feel like I'm doing the right things. I have a hundred pounds to lose, so this weight should be coming off more quickly than that! Here's a summary of my last 7 days:

Calories: fall in range between 1450-1790 (one high day of 1790)

Exercise:
TH - 42 mins Turbo Jam/kickboxing
Fr - 30 mins Turbo Jam/kickboxing
Sat - 75 mins yoga class; 45 mins cardio dance video
Sun - Rest - but went for a 20 minute family walk
Mon - 50 mins Jillian Michaels strength training intervals (has a cardio component)
Tue - 54 mins Jillian Michaels cardio intervals
Wed - 75 mins yoga class

I've burned a ton of calories this week and ate well. I've allowed myself a treat here and there, but it's always within my calorie range and accounted for. Though I could eat more, I've decided to stick with my calorie goal given by MFP and eat additional when needed (based on calorie burn). Because I have so much to lose, I know the illusive "starvation mode" should not be a factor.

I'm SO frustrated!!

Replies

• minburke
    minburke Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. I'm exercising staying within my cals (except today :/) and I've only lost 0.5kg in 2 weeks while my boyfriend loses 1kg some days..
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I'm feeling quite frustrated. I've been using MFP for about 3-4 weeks (I signed up before, but was not really focused). Since 4/5, I've lost almost 8 lbs. However, I have only lost 0.3 lbs in the past 9 days. I feel like I'm doing the right things. I have a hundred pounds to lose, so this weight should be coming off more quickly than that! Here's a summary of my last 7 days:

Calories: fall in range between 1450-1790 (one high day of 1790)

Exercise:
    TH - 42 mins Turbo Jam/kickboxing
    Fr - 30 mins Turbo Jam/kickboxing
    Sat - 75 mins yoga class; 45 mins cardio dance video
    Sun - Rest - but went for a 20 minute family walk
    Mon - 50 mins Jillian Michaels strength training intervals (has a cardio component)
    Tue - 54 mins Jillian Michaels cardio intervals
    Wed - 75 mins yoga class

I've burned a ton of calories this week and ate well. I've allowed myself a treat here and there, but it's always within my calorie range and accounted for. Though I could eat more, I've decided to stick with my calorie goal given by MFP and eat additional when needed (based on calorie burn). Because I have so much to lose, I know the illusive "starvation mode" should not be a factor.

I'm SO frustrated!!

Its been roughly 2 weeks and you've lost an average of 4lbs a week. that is actually pretty good!
  • kcrowley03
    kcrowley03 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    DON'T GIVE UP! Its ok to not have great results every week. You could easily be adding muscle (heavier than fat) and that could be part of this weeks lack of weight loss. What kind of foods are you eating? A lot of fruits and veggies with protien will give you the best results and stay hydrated. Your doing a lot of cardio and those foods (especially berries) will target all those "problem areas". 8 lbs in 2 1/2 weeks is awesome! Good luck on your journey and stay positive! :)
  • jpowell3976
    jpowell3976 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Maybe you've replaced fat with muscle? A pound is a pound...be it fat or muscle...have you taken any measurements?
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Calm down, everything is OK. You've been losing at a very good rate, actually!

Here's my guess as to what happened:

-You initially lost some water along with the fat. Remember that it takes a 3500 calorie deficit PER POUND of actual weight lost, outisde of water weight.

-You upped your activity dramatically. When you start working your muscles, you will gain a little bit of water weight because the glycogen in your muscles is stored 1 part glycogen to 3 parts water. This is necessary and healthy.

This alone is sufficient to explain what's going on and it's neither problematic nor predictive of failure. It will be frustrating though if you only track your progress by obsessive scale use.

So here's what I'd suggest:

-Take measurements today and record them in your check-in section. There will be weeks that you lose inches even though the scale seems to be 'stuck'.

-Realize that it is extremely rare to lose consistently. Some weeks will show big drops, some small drops and some no drops at all.

-Watch your sodium and alcohol intake. Both of these wreak havoc with your water retention and will mislead you when you weigh in.

-Try your best to drink 2 qts of water per day at least. This will help with any water retention as well as making you feel better in general as you won't be dehydrated.

-Make sure you measure your servings instead of eyeballing them, and log everything that has any calories in it at all. If you don't have a digital food scale already, it's well worth the price.

-Have patience. If you keep making good choices and exercising, the weight WILL come off.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    *double-post*
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    While I don't have a lot of weight to lose, I can understand your frustration. I spend close to 2 weeks at each and every pound! It doesn't come off in even amounts, some weeks you will see a big drop and others you won't. Just keep at it and give it another week or so before making any changes.
  • SlimDownDani
    Options
    It's normal to feel frustrated. Keep doing what you’re doing and remember that you are .3 lbs less than you were 9 days ago. Every little bit helps. Some weeks will be better than others. Just don't give up!
    :)
  • joynaus
    joynaus Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Try checking what you are drinking and what food has sodium. Also, if you put in some interval training and change it up just a bit it will jump start your body. Doing the same thing over and over is not necessarily good, just try varying up a bit.
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Calm down, everything is OK. You've been losing at a very good rate, actually!

Here's my guess as to what happened:

-You initially lost some water along with the fat. Remember that it takes a 3500 calorie deficit PER POUND of actual weight lost, outisde of water weight.

-You upped your activity dramatically. When you start working your muscles, you will gain a little bit of water weight because the glycogen in your muscles is stored 1 part glycogen to 3 parts water. This is necessary and healthy.

This alone is sufficient to explain what's going on and it's neither problematic nor predictive of failure. It will be frustrating though if you only track your progress by obsessive scale use.

So here's what I'd suggest:

-Take measurements today and record them in your check-in section. There will be weeks that you lose inches even though the scale seems to be 'stuck'.

-Realize that it is extremely rare to lose consistently. Some weeks will show big drops, some small drops and some no drops at all.

-Watch your sodium and alcohol intake. Both of these wreak havoc with your water retention and will mislead you when you weigh in.

-Try your best to drink 2 qts of water per day at least. This will help with any water retention as well as making you feel better in general as you won't be dehydrated.

-Make sure you measure your servings instead of eyeballing them, and log everything that has any calories in it at all. If you don't have a digital food scale already, it's well worth the price.

-Have patience. If you keep making good choices and exercising, the weight WILL come off.

Excellent post - I agree completely!
  • Kris0109
    Kris0109 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Is it your TOM? That week, my sole goal is not to gain. I retain water like no ones business that week and am hungry all. the. time.
  • TeresaJill
    TeresaJill Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've been tracking my weight up and down for quite some time and have found there are certain weight levels my body really clings to. Generally, once I pass that sticking point, the weight will come off quickly for a few days and then back to normal. It helps to have the information over the long haul. I know I am at one of those weights and sure enough, I'm still there. It helps me to stay on track knowing this is just one of those weights and I'll have to hang in there till my body gives up on it.

Are you sure your calorie counts are correct? Are you sure your exercises logged are correct? Be sure you're not over estimating the exercise and under estimating the calories.
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I'm hitting a plateau myself. It's really frustrating because I am almost to my current half way point, and I would like to be 15 pounds less in two months (would have been 3 months, but this month has flown by with little to no improvement), but I've stalled so looks like that isn't going to happen.
  • gerbies
    gerbies Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts. I have been meticulous in my calorie counting and over-counting when there is a question. I measure almost everything and eat similar foods most days. I do not eat all of my exercise calories because I think the calorie expenditure listed is high. My exercise/workouts are accurately noted. 4 of my workouts are interval in nature (the Turbo Jam workouts and the Jillian Michaels' workouts), so I know I'm getting the best bang for my buck.

I am not so angry I will give up, because I am feeling better. I just thought that, given my stature, I wouldn't hit a "plateau" this early. After reading the responses, I'm wondering if it's water weight. Given my increase in intense exercise, along with sodium (some processed foods) and, of course, the dreaded TOM, that could be a contributor.

Thank you all! :flowerforyou: