Any Stay @home moms?

Options
HI, just curious to see how many stay at home moms are out here? ive put on most of my weight since staying home with my daughter, but ive finally pulled myself together in january losing 44lbs so far.. Just looking for people to relate to who find it hard to lose weight while being home, any suggestions for workouts or great snacks to share with your kids while trying to lose weight?

Replies

• Momcharisma88
    Momcharisma88 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Im a stay at home momma! My daughter is 17 mths old! I work out when i can and when i cant i go on walks with my daughter. I usually walk 4-8 miles a day... 2 sep walks if its 8. And i watch everything i eat and my daughter eats what i eat as well. if youd like you can add me!
  • zumba_gal
    zumba_gal Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    stay at home mom here! feel free to add if u like!
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I work part-time, but I think I relate. Any kind of veggies and dip are great for the kids... I just omit the dip for myself. I always keep veggies on the table (familiar ones, like celery, carrots, grapes, etc...) and look in the grocery store for any "new" kind of fruit or veggie I can find... one that we have never tried before. I Google a recipe for it, looking for those with 5 stars, (or learn how to serve it.. may be that it's not to be cooked) and serve it at the table. We make it something fun, but introducing it as the "mystery" food. I put a dishtowel over it and "reveal" it only after everyone has guessed if it's a fruit, a veggie, what color, if they think they'll like it, etc... I try to make it fun and the kids are excited to see what I've found. Sometimes they'll find something in the produce isle that they are not familiar with and they ask if that can be the mystery food. We wink at each other at the table and make Dad and the sibling guess.
  • niffer82402
    niffer82402 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I work from home as a bookkeeper as well as babysit my niece and nephew plus my own 2 kids. It has been easier for me to lose weight or at least keep a few lbs. off by NOT letting myself eat the food that I cook for the kids (mac & cheese, bagel pizzas, chicken nuggets or patties, etc.). Now I have a salad or a low-sodium turkey sandwich. I stopped buying "junk food" because the kids don't need it anymore than I do. Snacks for all of us are now fruit, veggies, yogurt, string cheese. They haven't complained yet! My favorite workout is Jillian's 30 day shred. It is only 25 minutes or so, so its easy to keep the kids entertained doing something else close by while I get in a good hard workout.
  • NicolCook
    NicolCook Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Stay at home mom here!! My son is 9 and in school, so now I stay at home and play mom to other people's children :happy:

Started my journey in September 2010 and am less than 10lbs from goal!

I try not to take anything from my diet, just limit all the things I eat, and my current workout is Zumba dvds 4-5 times a week. It's not easy, but worth it for this heathier, smaller me!!

Good luck on the rest of your journey, you seem to be doing fabulous so far!! :happy:
  • mskon
    mskon Posts: 64
    Options
    I'm a SAHM too! I've got two boys {5 and 2} who are extremely active! I've noticed that finding time to work out is a bit harder when you're at home, but my hubby has agreed to let me have an hour to myself every day once he's home. It's really helped out! Please feel free to add me if you'd like!

Good luck and congrats on your weight loss so far!
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I am too. I have 3 teens and a 6 year old. I homeschool the six year old, so I am kind of stuck inside when it is cold. I am also taking online classes.
  • spayne_4
    spayne_4 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Stay at home mom of 3! :O) It is hard to workout with little ones but I try and do my best to workout while they are having breakfast because they distracted. I also run in the mornings before they wake up or after they go to bed. I love doing my Zumba game on the kinect which my kids like to play as well so they have fun with me. I also walk with them while I push the stroller and my oldest rides his bike. Add me if you'd like :O)
  • mandyschalk
    mandyschalk Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am! I have 3 little ones, my oldest is 4 1/2 and my youngest(s) turn 2 on sunday!! A big thing that helps me is just packing up the little ones in the wagon and having my oldest bike and go for as long as they can stand it.
    I recently started to go to a gym that allows 2 hours of daycare while im there< OMG!! SO iget a small break from the kids and I get to get going with out interruptions.
    My kids LOVE fruit and it is a great snack, bananas are my fav, they seem to stick with you for a while!
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Yea thats wat happen to me, too much couch time
    I like my dvds like 30 day shred, jump rope, airclimber and weights.
    Snack wise we eat differently
  • mrsbuzz
    mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I am a stay at home mom of two boys 8 and 4....even though my oldest is in school all day I still have a hard time with one to workout. I also struggle with low cal and low sodium lunches. Dinners aren't so good because my hubby is a toothpick and picky so we have the same things as before I just try not to eat as much. So I would love some low calorie lunch ideas.

Way to go to all of you have lost so much weight...congrats!
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I've been a stay at home (home schooling) mom for over 15 years now. =)

I'm a bit backwards -- I was heavy from 6th grade on, and didn't really start getting serious and losing weight until my first daughter was born (my highest weight was just before I got pregnant with her -- I do NOT count what I weighed when I was pregnant! That was frightening!).

It is a challenge to lose weight when the kitchen is so readily available. But it's also easier to prep healthy meals and not be so rushed that we have to go out to eat or order pizza (I have worked part-time off and on, and I can tell you that each day -- working day or working at home day -- has its own unique challenges).

When my girls were babies, I used their nap times to work out. Since naps happened every day, and I was "stuck" at home while they were sleeping, it was an unavoidable part of my schedule.

Now that they're older (12 and 15), I work out before they get up in the morning, eat breakfast with them, and then take a quick shower while they get ready for their day of home schooling. You just have to make it a non-negotiable thing!

You can do it. I've had years of great success, and then months and years of plateaus/fluctuation. But I started at 191 in 1995 and once I got down into the 140s (in the late nineties), I've never gone back up into the 150s, not even for a day. I've mostly been hovering in the 130s with slight bumps up and periodic dips down! As you can see, I'm finally finishing the race! =D
  • ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM too. I love it! To me it seems easier because making time for working out is a lot easier. I think being at home gives me the time to plan and prepare meals better. I also homeschool. There's always plenty of work to do around here to keep me on my toes.
  • Amy_Do
    Amy_Do Posts: 20
    Options
    I'm a SAHM as well to a 5 and 4 year old. I actually didn't start to exercise regularly until I had kids. I use to push them in the pram so I could go for a run. I joined a gym that had a creche to look after the kids I also made a very good friend who had childen and enjoyed working out as well so we helped each other out. I am very particular over what I feed my kids so I tend to eat healthy all day as I want my kids to eat healthy - fruit and veg no processed foods all homemade goodies where there are lots of veggies hidden into them. I think I make a more consious effort now to be healthy then before because I want to be a good role model for my kids. When I think of falling off the wagon I always think of my kids and I want to be healthy and strong for them.
  • Brandie6004
    Options
    I'm a sahm too. I have a 9 yr old boy and a 4 yr old girl. I have been blessed with kids that like taking naps, I tend to do things when they nap. Well, my son is school now and my 4 yr old is about done w naps, I think I'm going to do "quite time" this summer so that way I still have "me" time. On the weekends my husband watches them so I can get my fitness on.

I'm excited that we just joined the ymca (they have a promo going on right now where they wave the joining fee [or at least in our area thats what they're doing]). The Y has a childwatch and the kids can hang out for up to 2 hours while I do my own thing.

I also agree w all the other moms; take walks! It's a great way to get a little bit of a work out. When my kids are own the swings I'll do 'push-ups' against the pole of the swing (the one at our park is really wide!) and/or I'll do squats while pushing them (give em a push, do a squat, when you come up they'll be swinging back at you so you give em another push...). I also have a few work-out things for my kids in case the want to work out w me (if I start late and they're getting home from school or waking up from her nap); I have an extra yoga mat, and some cloth wrist weights (I have 1/2 lb and 1 lb ones). (I was doing a toning dvd when my four yr old got up from her nap and I let her use the little 1/2 lb wrist weights and she was working those arms! When daddy got home she was so excited to show him her "big strong muscle arms" lol Oh! and while signing up at the Y she started to do squats while we were filling out papper work! She said "look mommy, I'm excersing my legs!" LOL)

I'm also blessed that my kids want to eat healthy, on most days anyways. I don't know where they get it from 'cause it sure isn't from me! lol Both my kids love milk and fruits and veggies. The like different veggies tho... and my son likes water. ...and my daughter loves "yay-gert" (yogurt). Don't get me wrong, they still like a trip to McD's and like having cokes, but they just usually don't fight w me when I give them milk or veggies. ...So they really help me out!

I say feed your kids what you eat. They'll learn the good habits now and (hopefully) won't have to relearn good-healthy-eatting habits and strugggle the way we are. Do this will also help you out; their bowl of mac n chz or plate of pizza rolls won't be sitting there begging you to eat them!

Feel free to add me if you want :)
  • zoombie_bear
    zoombie_bear Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I'm a mom of you boys, 5 and 2 1/2, I work part time. I also started my journey to get my body back this january and have lost 37lbs, lets share our secrets, my profiles says a lot of what I do and you can go check my meals too...

congrats on your succes
  • Jackie218
    Jackie218 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback back ladies :) ill be sure to add u as friends on here.. its so much easier when u have such great support from people you can relate too so thankyou u all!!! and congrats on all your weightloss thus far !! keep up the good work!!!
  • masonsmomma
    masonsmomma Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom to an 11 month old baby boy:) Add me if you'd like!
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    SAHM here! I work out during nap times or after bedtime...sometimes both. Oh and she likes to do Hip Hop Abs with me! She calls it "homework" ........it's so funny!
  • mazomama
    mazomama Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Ive been a SAHM on & off for 8 yrs. Ive got 4 kids and i loved going to the gym so much i now work part time there and get to bring my kids with me! I also do zumba and turbo fire at home and when its warm out i love walking, and now running :-)