Why does TOM....

Options
Make you want to eat the world... Especially chocolate and make you automatically gain about 10lbs.
How are women suppose to loose weight when like clockwork every month you instantly put on half of what you've lost... Such a demotivator! And then there's the cravings I mean what the hell! Its driving me mad, esp when there's only 1 way to get rid of said cravings and give in to temptation!
I'm hoping I'm not the only 1 with this prob!

Would love to hear how others conquered this monthly problem!

Replies

• teelt13
    teelt13 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    LOL..glad to see that it's not just me. I wish I had a perfect answer..but the truth is I gave in a little :-). However I did continue to work out..even though I didn't want to. Good news is..as soon as it was over..I actually managed to lose a pound! Good luck!!
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    Sometimes you just have to give into the cravings a little. But do it smart! If you're craving salt, go for whole wheat pretzels over greasy potato chips, if you're craving sweet, chocolate with a very high cacao percentage is best (and just a little piece!) Experts say that all you need is three bites of something to get rid of a craving!

That being said, you're right, it sucks.
  • froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    And I have found out that continuing to exercise during it improves my mood alot. Hang in there and never ever weigh during :ohwell:
  • brittanyscherich
    brittanyscherich Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    My biggest TOM thing is that I tend to cry/yell a lot. Major mood swings. I have some cravings, but I just get them over with and indulge but try to be smarter. If I want ice cream, I get the fat free ice cream. If I want salt, I get some pretzels instead of potato chips.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    You actually do have a blood sugar crash just before your period, so it's NOT all in your head that you are hungrier just before. Also, during your period your body temperature is actually slightly higher, often resulting in fractured sleep, which again makes you hungry and tired (and also a bit cranky).

So try to plan to eat frequently during this week to ten days to try to keep your blood sugar stable, and be careful with simple carbs (bread, pasta, cereal, etc.) as they will mess with your blood sugar as well.

As far as the weight gain goes, it's mainly water. As you clean up your diet to manage sodium and simple carbs and to drink more water, you'll find that there is typically less of a water-weight swing each month.
  • Dukesjourney
    Dukesjourney Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Ohhh thank god it's not just me. I am still working out, I actually find the pain of TOM disappears the more active I am. Just the rest gets to me. I don't know why I bother weighing when I'm on, not smart at all.
    As for the cravings, i'm gonna have to be smarter about it, and fight the urge to over indulge.
  • JennyJogger
    Options
    For my TOM its like the "I'm full" switch in my brain is broken. I seriously could eat non-stop for 5 days and never feel full at all....
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Yep- I am all about the carbs. :grumble:
  • Plumpqt
    Plumpqt Posts: 156
    Options
    Am I the only one that craves meat? is this odd?
  • BandMom2
    BandMom2 Posts: 64
    Options
    Sometimes you just have to give into the cravings a little. But do it smart! If you're craving salt, go for whole wheat pretzels over greasy potato chips, if you're craving sweet, chocolate with a very high cacao percentage is best (and just a little piece!) Experts say that all you need is three bites of something to get rid of a craving!

That being said, you're right, it sucks.
    I agree, sometimes you have to give in a little. Make smarter choices, dip fruit in dark chocolate, or get single serving things like kisses or something. I wonder if those "experts" that say you only need three bites of something were men? I don't know ANY women around TOM that would agree with that! LOL =)
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    i get really really hungry, like ravenous, like a starving lion presented with an injured baby gazelle kind of starving. i started drinking 2 protein shakes a day during TOM to keep the hunger under control. it really works for me. i gain around 5lbs the week before, and it goes away gradually over the next week. yeah, it kinda stinks :frown:
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one that craves meat? is this odd?

Nope. It's actually logical as our iron needs are slightly higher around TOM.
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    This is my main demon now that i'm heading for maintenance! It's also the reason why I ate a gingerbread man cookie for breakfast! lol

I have the will power of steel but the day or two before my period and i'm like a feral beast on the hunt for carbs! Even if I manage to stay within my calorie allowance my nutrients tell the story... my usual carb intake is around 140g, preTOM it's in the 200's!!

I have had binges in the past where I just eat and eat and don't feel in the slightest bit full. It's not my usual binge though it's a genuinely ravenous, weak with hunger, shakiness, eat now or pass out, binge!

I also gain about 10lbs of water weight and feel my clothes tightening for a few days.

The good news is, your weight should normalise, i've never gained true weight around my period, even after the binging and often find that it's exactly the metabolism boost I need to drop me a few pounds. By the end of a week i've usually lost it all and then some!