When should I weigh myself?

Options
I need other peoples expertise on this...what time of day should I weigh myself? I started MFP on tues, so i was thinking i'd weigh myself every tues, but when I weigh myself in the morning i am significantly lighter than the evening. I just dont want to cut myself short. Please let me know your methods

Replies

• godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    If you're going to weight in the morning, weigh only in the morning & if you're going to weigh in at night, do it only at night. As long as you're consistant, I don't really think it matters. If you sometimes weigh in the morning and sometimes at night, you're more likely to get discouraged. Good luck!
  • skinnyjeans13
    Options
    You should pick the same time every week (morning is best, after you go to the bathroom but before you eat/drink anything) and wearing the same thing (or nothing!)

If you can't do it in the morning, just ensure that you do it at the same time every week. :)
  • superstarcola
    Options
    regardless of when you weigh, weigh at the same-ish time every time you weigh yourself.

I weigh in in the morning when I get up, after I use the restroom, before I eat breakfast when I do, and I don't look at the scale any other time of day. :)
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Many will say in the morning after you have emptied your bladder. However, I am finding it is better for me to weight at the gym as my home scale is messed up. Whatever you do, try to weight at the same time and use the same scale. Some say weigh each day so that you can constantly monitor what you are doing, some say weigh weekly. I do it daily, but only log it about once a week.
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Once a week is ok. You should always weigh yourself in the morning before you fill up on water. That way you get your true weight minus the water/food weight.
  • CarlaAnn15
    CarlaAnn15 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Friday Morning before I step into the shower. I do step on the scales other times during the week, but Friday is my 'official' weigh in day. I've been doing this for over 1 year now during my weight loss journey!

Good Luck to you!!
    Carla
  • superstah00
    superstah00 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week normally, in the am right when I wake up but after I pee:happy:
  • AmberLiscous
    AmberLiscous Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    just be consistent with the time of day that you weigh your self....if you weigh in the mornings then just stay with that and don't change it up....your weight does fluctuate so you shouldn't weigh through out the day (unless you give yourself a pep talk first and realize that you will weigh more lol):laugh:
  • drisner
    drisner Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I need other peoples expertise on this...what time of day should I weigh myself? I started MFP on tues, so i was thinking i'd weigh myself every tues, but when I weigh myself in the morning i am significantly lighter than the evening. I just dont want to cut myself short. Please let me know your methods

As long as you do it at the same time of day each time you do your weigh in, you are good. You might want to weigh in less often than every week. If you do it every 3 weeks, you will feel like you've made more progress each time you weigh in.
  • drasr
    drasr Posts: 181
    Options
    I know this dietitian who told me that one should weigh themselves only once a week and on the same day every week with the same clothes on and on the same scale. And you should put the scale at one place and then just keep it there all the time and not take it out, weigh yourself and put it back as that alters one's weight (g chanes).
    You are obviously going to weigh less in the morning due to the overnight fasting status. I won't give too much attention to that as it is the change/loss of weight that matters more rather than your actual weight.
  • AdGalicia
    AdGalicia Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, this advice makes me feel better...I am so pumped for next Tues. I hope this weekend doesn't screw it up!!! Grrrrr...