Sneakers, trainers, athletic shoes: Whatever you call them,

Options
I'm particularly interested in the why...what makes this shoe the best for you. I've been a New Balance girl for years but the last pair I bought did Not rock my socks! They felt different. I don't know if I've changed or the shoe structure.

Anyway, I know many athletic shoes are sport specific. So for the record, I train about 30-40 min on the elliptical each day, do 30ds (on carpet) and walk (mostly on street surface but sometimes trails on the weekends).

Replies

• superstarcola
    Options
    It depends on your feet, whether or not you pronate when you walk, and the amount of cushioning in the shoe itself. Some shoes are built for people who do pronate, while others are not (you can tell if yours are, if you look at the arch on the outside of the shoe, if there's a grey-ish block there your shoes are made for pronaters, that's just extra support in the arch to compensate for that).
    I personally only pronate very slightly in one foot, so I wear a normal shoe. I find that the support in the pronater's shoes really bother my feet personally.
  • katsmommy08
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else, but when I decided I wanted to try and start running (on the treadmill). I went into the Athletic Shoe Store and told them I wanted a pair of running shoes. I did not check price or brand. I had them bring out like five or six pair and put them on and spent a while just walking around and bouncing in them. The ones that felt good and had really good support were the ones I bought. And they happen to be Oasics, a brand I had never tried before. Just get what feels right for you at the time.
  • techie30
    techie30 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you live, you may want to find a local running store and start there. I went to Big Peach Running Company in Atlanta where Iive, and they helped me find a good shoe. I got on the treadmill, and they captured video of how my foot hits the ground when I run. Then I stood on the little pad thing and it showed where I have the most pressure when I stand. Then I tried on 8 pairs of shoes (some running, some cross trainers, some trail shoes), and I took each pair for a run around the block (any good shoe store will let you do this). I got down to two pairs, I put on on each foot, and did another lap. I finally picked a pair of Brooks shoes for around $100. They had NB and a gazillion other brands, just so happened my feet liked the expensive ones. Good luck!