Weight loss rewards

LolasEpicJourney
LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
edited September 26 in Motivation and Support
I have yet to set interval rewards for myself.. I don't know how often I should rewardmyself and with what... any suggestions? My ultimate goal is 111 lbs away...

Replies

• abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    maybe 10-20 lbs? do smaller goals to reward urself!
  • new clothes! Spa days! Pedicures/manicures!

Little things that don't involve food but totally boost your self-esteem :) Whatever makes you happy.
  • Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Im giving myself a pair of shoes (casual tennis shoes) pumas to be exact. but that is still ten pounds away. I want to get a kathy bag. Anymore than 100 dollars for a reward and i feel like im robbing myself blind!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    That depends on what motivates you and what kind of budget you have. How much drive you have. Basically how often are you going to NEED the rewards to help keep you going? Do you enjoy Manicures & pedicures? Hair cuts? New Make-up? (im an expensive bareminerals addict lol) Shoes?

I recommend waiting on the clothes until the 40lb mark but thats because despite alot of weight loss I didnt change sizes at first, or not enough to actually buy the next size down.

Do you have any big events coming up that you will need a new outfit for and would like to buy one in a smaller size? those are great goal markers!
  • maurapie
    maurapie Posts: 48 Member
    Any milestone! Whether it's 5lbs, 20lbs, maybe when you fit into an old pair of jeans, or reach a weight you were in high school, etc. The frequency is up to you! You know yourself better than anyone, and you also know if you need frequent encouragement and rewards. And do something good for yourself that does not take you away from any goals you have. So, maybe get a new haircut, a new outfit, a new pair of sneakers (side note- buying new clothes to workout in always gets me excited!), get a massage. Of course if saving money is also a goal, maybe do something that makes you feel better without added expense- maybe spend a day of relaxation at home, or at the beach/lake.
  • Barrettmomof3
    Barrettmomof3 Posts: 140 Member
    Mini Goals are just that, I am not sure there is a right or wrong number for any of them. After my first 15lbs I am going to get a pedicure which is just in time for sandal season so that works for me. Other thoughts would be a new pair of shoes, or a night out something you like to do but don't do all the time. As for what the intervals should be try every 10 to 15lbs or even clothes sizes like when you hit a certain number you'll take X amount of money and spend on new clothes.

Good Luck, Feel free to add me if you want! I understand the need for mini goals especially when its a long road ahead. (80+ lbs to go)
  • Brandie6004
    Brandie6004 Posts: 87 Member
    I think mini-goals are a good way to go. I have decided to not do deadlines on meeting my goals because I don't know how much time is the "right" time (I don't want to set someting silly fast and stress myself out or loose weight too fast but at the same time I Idon't want to put a date that's too far, where's the challenge in that?)

I also did not want to reward myself with food (I think that can lead to emontional [sp?] eating and I've kinda been there done that and don't want to go there again). Also, clothes I didn't want to do because I'm gonna have to buy them anyways as I need them. The only way I would do clothing is if it was something that I would normally not buy, like a designer handbag or a hot pair of heels, or something kinda pricy (I'm thinking of maybe some of those shape up shoes.))

Below is my list, maybe it will help you get a few ideas? Anything in ( )'s talking about size I just did for myself. I have no clue what I weighed in hs or before having my kids so I'm just totally guessing.

Start Weight 224-ish (old scale was off…) 3-1-11
    (5'2 most weight is all in the middle)
    Goal: 195 (The first time in years I’ve been under 200)
    • Hot Stone Pedi/Mani with Paraffin Wax (because I haven’t been under 200 lbs in forever!)
    Goal: 185 (…just ‘cause it sounds good.)
    • New Wii “work-out” Game *OR* some cute “Shape-Up” Shoes for Walking.
    Goal: 170 (...is this a size 16? I don’t know. I’m just guessing on numbers.)
    • New Wii “work-out” Game *OR* some cute “Shape-Up” Shoes for Walking.
    Goal: 150 (…a size 14??? I would love to be a size 14!)
    • Spa Day
    Goal: 140 (what size it this??? Is this a 14???)
    • HRM (if I’m still working out and liking it)
    Goal: To find my “happy” weight/size (If I have not already done so).
  • houlee
    houlee Posts: 60
    I like *lots* of positive reinforcement. So anytime I exercise or hit the gym, I use a nice aka expensive soap (I like Lush products) instead of the regular Irish Spring bar soap we have. If I exercise 5x/week and eat right 6x/week, I give myself a pedicure at home. And then every 5 pounds I give myself another reward (mostly movies that my husband doesn't want to see, excursions to the zoo/museum, a Netflix membership, plants and equipment to try to start a garden, new book releases of my favorite authors, new decor for my apartment, new nail polish or makeup, etc). I reward myself for basically everything because I get discouraged when the scale doesn't move for a month but I'm going to the gym 4-6 days a week and eating right 80% of the time. So basically I make mini mini goals and rewards.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    I am a big advocate of rewards. But not food related. I usually do rewards when I hit a new set of numbers, like when I hit 189 or something. For me, the reward must be something I really want but wouldn't ordinarily buy for myself anyway.

But you can configure your rewards any way that works for you. For working out so many days in a row or reaching a weight by a certain date. Having something to look forward to is a good thing.
  • sarahlasvegas
    sarahlasvegas Posts: 73 Member
    I personally would set the rewards at 1st 11pounds, then every 10 pounds from then. So you'll have 11 milestones in the 111 pounds. With an extra celebration in the 55.5 mark :)

I have a pandora charm bracelet and my incentive is a new charm every 14 pounds. I also like the idea of makeup, WII excercise games, dvds etc. Or new trainers etc.

EDIT - you've prompted me to think about my milestones again - of to work them out lol
  • sarahlasvegas
    sarahlasvegas Posts: 73 Member
    pah - just noticed you've already lost some so ignore above post.

What about the little markers on your ticker...you look near the 1st one :)
  • Jennwith2ns
    Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
    Set small goals.. like every 20 lbs lost you give yourself something, but try to avoid food rewards. Choose things you don't often splurge on and would love to work towards.

New clothing item/wardrobe
    Manicure/Pedicure
    Massage or Facial at the Spa
    Hair cut/Dye at the Salon

Or pick a place you have been wanting to go to like an amusement park, zoo, theater production, whatever.

Pick a big reward for your goal weight. Mine is to go to Vegas with my husband.
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Thanks for your ideas everyone!!!
    I am hoping to set rewards for myself. I know that I want to get a tattoo when I get to my ultimate goal - I just havent decided how often I need other rewards. I have lost the first 15lbs pretty quickly - so I havent needed much extra motivation. Often enough - the weight loss itself is enough of a reward for me at the moment - but I know this may get tougher
  • tamarab3
    tamarab3 Posts: 64
    When I started to lose weight I needed to lose about about 50 pounds. So, I decided to reward myself for every 5 pounds lost. The rewards are something like the following: 5 pounds = new lip gloss, 10 pounds = new cookbook (one with low fat/low cal recipes; I love to cook), 15 pounds = new highlights in my hair (I currently color it), 20 pounds = pedicure, you get the picture. When I get to my goal weight I plan to get a massage and buy a new swimsuit.
This discussion has been closed.