Signed up for Half Marathon

Options
Well it's been over a year now since I decided to make a positive change in my life once and for all. For those don't know I started my weight loss experience in January last year. I was 340lbs and life was pretty much non existant for me. I'd hide away from social occassions and used to eat for comfort.
It took a lot of soul searching to find out the cause of my poor diet and health but as the months went by I found myself discovering the real me. I was working out daily and also eating healthily and started feeling good about myself for the first time in 15 years. In August last year I started running outdoors and found it really rewarding. In September I'd manage to lose 100lbs which was my target but I didn't want to stop there and kept up with my running and swimming. In December I'd manage to lose a total of 140lbs and it was awesome to finally reach the 10 stone mark lost.
Recently, I have left my wife as wasn't happy with that aspect of my life so decided to finally change that. The past few weeks have been awful in all fairness and my healthy eating and exercise has suffered.

I have managed to get in to my head again that eating badly and not exercising actually makes matters worse so decided to finally sign up to do a half marathon in September of this year. Through my experience last year and what I went through I've learnt that life is for living and not moping around feeling sorry for yourself.

I'm hoping to complete the half marathon in less than 2 hours, now a new chapter in my life has begun and I'm excited once again at the prospect of doing something positive. No matter what happens, you have to believe in yourself and contol your own destiny.

Thanks for reading.

Replies

• wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Good luck and congrats!

A 1/2 marathon is one of my goals as well.
  • Dananic73
    Options
    You are awesome! Good luck in the 1/2 Marathon. You should really proud of what you have accomplished. Let us know how you did.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Awesome Goal! I was pretty much in your shoes a few years back (@ 320lbs) and signed up for a full marathon my first time out.

You can do this! Look forward to following your progress!
  • nab22
    nab22 Posts: 168
    Options
    Great work to this point! Sorry about your wife.

I sign up for half marathons to force myself to run when I don't feel like it. I just finished my 5th last weekend. Now that you've committed and paid your money, it's like you have to run and train or else you won't be able to finish, rather than running because you think you need to lose weight or the usual reasons!

Good luck!
  • GrayJohn
    GrayJohn Posts: 74
    Options
    I sign up for half marathons to force myself to run when I don't feel like it. I just finished my 5th last weekend. Now that you've committed and paid your money, it's like you have to run and train or else you won't be able to finish, rather than running because you think you need to lose weight or the usual reasons!

Good luck!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

That was the idea! From lacking motivation to actually having to go out there and train is totally different! Thanks for your support and everyone else's!
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    You're inspirational!
    I've been working towards running just a 5k.. I can't imagine running 1/2 marathon. I love how open everyone is on here with their stories and I appreciated reading yours.
    Thanks for sharing it.
  • lilac01
    lilac01 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Good luck! U continue to inspire me everyday!