Need food ideas- 7 days camping- no fresh food

Options
Okay, so it's a little way off yet but just wanting some ideas..

I work as an event steward and i'll be working at the Download Festival in the UK and will be camping for 7 days straight.

I will be there 7th-13th of June and I go on holiday on the 16th of June. The reason I am on here is to help myself lose the weight before I go on holiday & keep it down after that.

But living out a suitcase in a tent will be hard- especially food wise as we all know festival food is burgers and booze. (nutritious)

Just wanting some ideas of non chilled, non fresh foods that i could take with me.

I'm from england.

i'd appreicate any ideas :D

Replies

• ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    many vegetables will last 7 days... consider stocking up on them.

Also an open fire and you can cook a wonder of foods...
  • symphonika
    symphonika Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    pretzels, granola bars, oranges usually stay good not chilled, if you're needing protien beef jerky or some kind of jerkey.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    apple sauce in the single serve containers. Baby carrots. Fruit (apples will handle travel well, pears will just mush). Fruit leather if you have it in your country. Trail mix (nuts, dried fruit).
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I just went on an extreme backpacking trip. We took garlic pistachios, tuna packets, salmon packets, protein bars, beef (turkey) jerkey, dried fruit, string cheese, almonds, and dehydrated food which you can get at a camping/outdoors store.
  • bex22mcn
    bex22mcn Posts: 90
    Options
    When I did slimming world things such as tomato and herb pasta and sauce were free on green days - if you go for tomato ones they are not many calories. Things like this will be light for you to carry in and also take up hardly any room in your bag. Marks and Spencer also do cans of curry that are really quite low in calories (though these will be heavier!) and pop some boil in the bag rice in your rucksack to have with them?

Hope you have an amazing time!
  • Mojo3929
    Mojo3929 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    One thing I love to do is make a trail mix with nuts and dried fruit and sometimes a few mini chocolate chips. More fruit than nuts, but adding in cranberries and dried blueberries makes for a tasty handful.
    Breakfast cereal can be a good thing to munch on, especially if you get one that is whole grain and high fiber.
    Will you be able to cook? You can always take canned veggies with you, they have some with no salt added.

I am from America, so I am not sure how similar/different the grocery store shelves look. Beef jerky, anything dried, will work for the end of the week.
  • sundinsgurl
    sundinsgurl Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Bumpin this as I would like some ideas as well

Fruits (bananas apples oranges)
    nuts
    granola bars
  • katy5692
    katy5692 Posts: 140
    Options
    I don't really want to take pots/pans/stove etc... i want to cut down on belongings really. but all really good ideas thanks :D

keep em coming :D
  • spcopps
    spcopps Posts: 283
    Options
    I don't really want to take pots/pans/stove etc... i want to cut down on belongings really. but all really good ideas thanks :D

keep em coming :D

You don't need pots and pans especially if they have a grill. Wrap your veggies in foil and place directly on the grill! Also pork skins are high in protein (watch sodium though). You can do this with potatoes, onions, squash, carrots, corn on the cob, etc..you get the idea :)
  • katy5692
    Options
    i don't think there will be any cooking implements unless we bring them ourselves. :(
  • spcopps
    spcopps Posts: 283
    Options
    i don't think there will be any cooking implements unless we bring them ourselves. :(

Not sure about where you live, but here you can buy small table top charcoal grills really cheap and they are not bulky to pack. Maybe look into one and buy the charcoal when you get to your campsite (we do this when we go camping because I don't like to use the campsite grills). Also try melons..they tend to keep well. If you have NO way to cook or keep foods fresh only other things I can think of are the canned meats like tuna and chicken. Take some whole wheat crackers to dip. Just be sure to watch the sodium because prepackaged foods tend to be very high in sodium.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Lots of good ideas offered in this topic. I'll add one. My wife did 500 miles on the Appalachian Trail and just about lived on cheese and bagels. She says they last for days without refrigeration and provide lots of energy. She refused to cook and hated freeze dried meals anyway. Blocks of cheese and good bagels were her primary fuel for many weeks. Not my cup of tea but it worked for her. She refused to cook but most people on the trail carried small backpackers stoves - little butane/propane/gas burners - very light weight and easy to use. That opens up a lot of possibilities. Just "for what it is worth."
  • katy5692
    Options
    its a music festival so its just a field and not a proper campsite. I will have to 'food diary' everything up before i buy it :)
  • katy5692
    Options
    Lots of good ideas in this topic. My wife did 500 miles on the Appilachian Trail and just about lived on cheese and bagels. She says they last for days without refrigeration and provide lots of energy. Just "for what it is worth."

really! cheese lasts outside the fridge? :S
  • TheIncredibleShrinkingDan
    Options

As others have said there are some really good lean protein options like tuna, salmon, crab and chicken in packets or cans that don't have to be kept cold or heated. If you like them, you can do sardines too. I like them but find they are a little bit anti-social. :-) Many can't stand the fishy smell.

Though they are more expensive there are dehydrated meals in packets at camping stores, some of which are pretty tasty and healthy. After several days you will be sick and tired of tuna. Cooking these requires boiling water...which requires a stove and pot which I know you are trying to avoid. But if space is a concern Google "MSR Pocket Rocket Backpacking Stove". It is tiny and pretty cheap. I don't know if they distribute in the UK but I'm sure there are others like it. Have fun.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Lots of good ideas in this topic. My wife did 500 miles on the Appilachian Trail and just about lived on cheese and bagels. She says they last for days without refrigeration and provide lots of energy. Just "for what it is worth."

really! cheese lasts outside the fridge? :S

I had the same reaction initially, but yes, it does just fine at least for a few days. She replenished weekly, usually by me meeting her at a prearranged place with more cheese and bagels!
  • katy5692
    Options
    aww, i may stick the the cheese spread idea though... or take a bit of cheese for begining of week at least :)
  • cree324
    cree324 Posts: 8
    Options
    Try to google MRE- meals ready to eat. Watch the carbs/calories in these special packaging but US military live off MRE'S in the field. Have fun!
  • katy5692
    Options