Questions on Sodium

Options
Hello! I have some questions on sodium. First how much a day? Then will sodium cause the scale not to move? I am losing in inches but the scale won't move so I was concerned what should I do to help it move. I am exercising and watching calories so I thought it must be water, am I right? I need your expert opinions. Thanks!:smile:

Replies

• JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Sodium makes a difference, yes.....it makes you retain water....
  • ♥♥YoungMrs♥♥
    Options
    Yea..watching sodium intake is pretty important. My sodium is set at 2500 but I try to stay under that. Otherwise, I end up gaining lbs because of water retention..its also bad for your heart :)
  • Gennawest
    Gennawest Posts: 171
    Options
    I am definatly not an expert. However, my personal observation is this.... whenever I eat a sodium packed meal (i.e. mexican food) the next few days I pay for it. Now it is nearly impossible to gain 3 lbs from a burrito, but what happens is because my body becomes so filled with sodium it retains a lot of water. It takes me almost up to a week (sometimes) to get rid of that water weight. I also pass on lunch meat, etc. now. Before I thought to myself it is low in calories and fat, but never did I take the time to look at the sodium. After 4 montht of careful observation, I have learned my body... how it is affected by different foods. Pay close attention to your body. It is the best expert around.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    While sodium is critical for basic cell function, too much has consequences that go far beyond the effect on the scale. There are some great explanations in this thread that may help you: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/217891-give-me-the-straight-dope-about-sodium
  • lisapooh1
    lisapooh1 Posts: 90
    Options
    Thanks Girls! It has really helped. Any suggestions on low sodium foods?:smile:
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I actually recently heard that we should be staying under 1500mg of sodium a day but I think that is for people with health issues because I'm finding even staying under 2000mg is difficult.

eat Veggies.. lots of them! :)
  • jsarrington
    Options
    I find that my Sodium goal is by far the hardest to stay under. EVERYTHING is loaded with Sodium these days.
  • 614jaimee
    614jaimee Posts: 34
    Options
    Eat only fresh veggies (none from a can) and no frozen meals. I also drink 100oz of water a day to off set the bloat. You can even spice up your water lemons, cucumbers and come mint!