Adults with braces..need help with food ideas!!

Options
kscutie
kscutie Posts: 32 Member
I'm an adult with braces and I just got them adjusted yesterday and my teeth hurt SOO bad.
So I'll obvioulsy be on a liquid and very soft food diet till my teeth get re-accustomed....

What are some HEALTHY ideas for things I can make??

Thanks!!

Replies

• JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    use protien powder with sugar/fat free jello to make some potent protien pudding. I have these on-hand ready to go in lil plastic containers.

I saw this on a forum....it'll help you get protein in pudding form.....never tried it, but thought it a good idea....might have to try it....braces are heck....when I would get my tighten as a teen, I ate pudding/Jello for days....
  • cassiejoyy
    Options
    When I had braces, I just got them off last year Sept. When I would get them adjusted, I would eat things like bananas, oatmeal, eggs, yogurt, stuff like that until it didn't hurt so much to eat.
  • Jenybaby
    Jenybaby Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Regardless of age, braces are painful when adjusted. I had them when I was younger and ate a lot of soup and grilled cheese (whole wheat and low fat cheese of course). Pasta is a good one as well, with some soft roasted veggies. You can also try legumes like a bean salad or a grain like quinoa. You can also try softer fruits like raspberries or melon. For a treat you can buy frozen real fruit bars.

Hope this helps!:smile:
  • Kellidianne
    Kellidianne Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Soups, chili, smoothies, eggs/omlettes, veggies (cooked longer so they're softer), yogurt, otameal, casseroles, Jello Mousse Temptations. Right now i'm really loving Trader Joes Carriebbean Fruit Floes (popsicles/fruitbars).
  • JP_Abstract
    Options
    I have braces now since Aug '10. At first it was a killer so my diet for the first 5 days was literally Guiness, soup, & yogurt.

Now that I have a way better handle on it, the first thing to do is take care of your teeth which means to use toothpaste with flouride, also use mouthwash at least twice day. The reason I mention this first is cause after you get your braces adjusted, the pain is caused by your teeth shifting. By brushing & using mouthwash it'll strengthen your teeth a lot quicker which means you can eat more solid foods.

You can really eat all the same foods but not anything hard like an apple unless you really really cut it up... I don't eat pizza crust or chips, and a few more etcs.... but I can literally still eat the same foods I once ate before... just gotta use your back teeth more.

Hope that helps
  • JLink823
    JLink823 Posts: 13
    Options
    Oh I feel your pain! I've had my braces for 18 months! The week after adjustments I take ibuprofen and eat eggs (or egg whites), cottage cheese, beans, protein shakes/smoothies, soft fruits, fish, rice and sweet potatoes. Your teeth should feel better in less than a week.
  • kscutie
    kscutie Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks! these are great suggestions :)
  • DeniseGdz
    DeniseGdz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    cauliflower mashed potatoes
    lentils
    pinto beans
    wheat rice
    mac n cheese (in moderation)
    protien shakes
    My fave were: jello & pudding

Always kept tylenol 8 hr handy too...hated when I had to get them tightened...
  • HarmonyNLife
    HarmonyNLife Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am so very thankful for this post. I got my braces put on yesterday. My teeth/gums are really sore today. I tried to eat a bowl of cereal this morning with no luck. I am extremely hungry!! I will definitely be using most of the suggestions posted. Once again, thanks.
  • alslau02
    alslau02 Posts: 64
    Options
    Chilled protein shakes are nice right after adjustments. The wire in your braces is heat activated and will relax just a bit while you are eating icy things.

Baked fish
    Plain low fat yogurt
    Hummus

I stay under my calories, but I do tend to eat less healthy right around adjustments.

One other thing--very light chewing can sometimes ease pain. You can buy bite wafers to clench from stores online.
  • LisaK26
    LisaK26 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I got braces fitted last week... I'm eating only things that slip down or that I can suck, sucking is making my tongue and the roof of my mouth sore. I sure hope all this discomfort is worth it. On the plus side, staying within my calorie limit is a breeze now... enforced braces anorexia I call it.

Good luck with yours, here's to the dazzling smiles we will have in the future.
    Lisa
  • pesky22
    pesky22 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    bump