Coffee.

Options
I remember reading in "Skinny *****" that coffee actually halts the fat burning process. Does anyone have information that is for or against this? I mostly drink green tea, but I started drinking coffee when I was fourteen and still treat myself with it sometimes!

Replies

• lexi1ky
    lexi1ky Posts: 7
    Options
    I would like to know this also. I am a big coffee drinker.
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    100% sure coffee doesn't halt the fat burning process. It might speed it up because of the caffeine. It's 'coffee' with whip, a lot of milk, caramel/chocolate sauce, with sprinkles that halts the process :)
  • TLMonroe
    TLMonroe Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge coffee drinker and it hasn't halted mine. But it would be good to know.
  • tcheryl
    tcheryl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    i'll be checking in on this one!! i love my coffee and drink a pot a day. haven't seen any good results so far tho:wink:
  • littttlelaurra
    littttlelaurra Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Good questions, never heard this. I drink green tea and I think tea in general is a diuretic which helps fluid leave the body. Might be they say coffee stalls it because people at creamer and sweetners to it, which give it a higher calorie content instead of when taken black. Just my thought.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I have some blood in my coffee system! I haven't had any problems with drinking coffee and losing weight. And from what I have seen the caffeine in coffee at the right time can actually increase your heart rate and calorie burn when exercising.
    Now if you don't drink black coffee and ruin this nectar of the gods with all kinds of extras, that won't help you lose weight and will also ruin a good cup of coffee, lol.
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee every single day. One 16oz mug. It's hasn't hindered me in any way so far.
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 20 coffees a day and I still lost weight. Bit of milk, no sugar. There's more anecdata for you.
  • davisle4
    davisle4 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    In my experience coffee is not the enemy. However, those who drink coffee do so for a reason. They are over tired (from not sleeping well) and under pressure or "stressed" from life, jobs, kids, family and so they drink coffee. Sure, if you load your morning cup up with sugar and cream it will make you gain weight, but black coffee or coffee mixed with a non-calorie sweetener and skim mild should be fine. Coffee is a stimulant, thus, it makes you move more and suppresses appetite. The more important issues are sleep and stress. If you aren't getting enough sleep you won't lose nearly as much weight. Similarly, if you are feeling stressed much of the day, hormone and cortisol levels will halt your weight loss.
  • crankyrobot
    crankyrobot Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Green tea is preferred, as it also boosts metabolism and has antioxidents, but I just recall the book saying that the acidic factor of coffee hindered fat burning. I don't have the book anymore otherwise I would quote directly, but I do believe that book was more trying to get people to go vegan than lose weight...