agave nectar

Options
So someone posted about Stevia and it triggered my memory that I had wanted to post about agave nectar. I have used it a few times (haven't purchased it, tried a sample at the co-op I go to), and just wondering all your thoughts on it. Whatever input you have I want to hear!! Thanks!

Replies

• littttlelaurra
    littttlelaurra Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I think its nice all natural alternative that doesnt affect blood sugar as in use in place of honey or syrups on things but it does contain 60 calories per serving so its not a zero calories sweetner like stevia. My mom likes to use it to make a sweet and spicy stir fry.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    It's safe to use versus fake sugar! And you can get it at Trader Joe's for less $$
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    its a fancy name for sugar that comes from agave. Its composed of fructose and glucose (as opposed to straight sucrose for table sugar). However, your body treats all -ose's the same in the end and puts it into blood, your liver, and (only a little bit) in your muscles for energy.

If youre looking for flavor from your sugar, try honey. Otherwise, sugars are sugar are sugar, though some are a waste of money :)
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    I use just a tiny dab of it in my skinny margaritas! It's a very neutral flavored sweetener (vs. honey).
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    It does affect blood sugar levels because its a form of sugar, though it has a lower glycemic index, which affects your blood sugar slightly less. Only artificial sweeteners dont affect blood sugar levels. IMO as long as you dont overdo it, like granulated sugar, you're ok.
    I think its nice all natural alternative that doesnt affect blood sugar
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    its a fancy name for sugar that comes from agave. Its composed of fructose and glucose (as opposed to straight sucrose for table sugar). However, your body treats all -ose's the same in the end and puts it into blood, your liver, and (only a little bit) in your muscles for energy.

If youre looking for flavor from your sugar, try honey. Otherwise, sugars are sugar are sugar, though some are a waste of money :)

Right--it is caloric and it is processed very similarly to other sugars. The primary benefit is that it is sweeter than sugar, so you can use less of it than you would sugar to get the same level of sweetness.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    GO FOR IT!!! I have some in mu cupboard for when the after taste of Stevia is too much.

It has the same calories as honey, but is low glycemic index, which means something along the lines of it doesn't spike your sugar levels, then give you that dip in energy, like sugar.

I'm using this cool brand right now: http://www.madhavasagave.com/ but it might be Canadian. They have so many cool flavours, like coffee flavoured ones. I have the vanilla one. I also recommend buying your agave raw, for the best value! :drinker:
  • stephstrege
    stephstrege Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    GO FOR IT!!! I have some in mu cupboard for when the after taste of Stevia is too much.

It has the same calories as honey, but is low glycemic index, which means something along the lines of it doesn't spike your sugar levels, then give you that dip in energy, like sugar.

I'm using this cool brand right now: http://www.madhavasagave.com/ but it might be Canadian. They have so many cool flavours, like coffee flavoured ones. I have the vanilla one. I also recommend buying your agave raw, for the best value! :drinker:

Steph do you know what the different types are then? Like there is Blue Agave Nectar? What is the difference and is there any health benefits that make one better than the other? Or is just a matter of taste?
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Can't vouch for how accurate this article is, as I didn't have time to go back and check out all the sources and studies it cites. But the author concluded that you might as well just use HFCS as agave and that it is FAR from being a 'natural' product: http://www.foodrenegade.com/agave-nectar-good-or-bad/
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Steph do you know what the different types are then? Like there is Blue Agave Nectar? What is the difference and is there any health benefits that make one better than the other? Or is just a matter of taste?
    Hm... :indifferent: Nope. I don't know the difference. I think it might be the plant that it comes from. I think I've had both. I'm not a connoisseur of it, so I can't give an opinion on the tastes... I say pick one, make sure it's raw (and certified organic if possible), and you're good to go! The ones I've tried have always been delicious!
    Can't vouch for how accurate this article is, as I didn't have time to go back and check out all the sources and studies it cites. But the author concluded that you might as well just use HFCS as agave and that it is FAR from being a 'natural' product: http://www.foodrenegade.com/agave-nectar-good-or-bad/
    I personally don't trust this source. I don't think she can label it as simply "bad". I checked out her other arguments, and they don't ring true to the knowledge I have, so I just pass this off as another opinion, although I think she's coming from an honest place. I think I've seen this site in the reference section of a book I read within the past year... Anyway, thanks for the link! I'll keep my agave.

PS - Stevia is still a safe option and I have NEVER ever heard anything bad about it.