New Mother

Options
I am scared, overwhelmed, stressed, and happy all at the same time. I have been tryin to loose 10 lbs for the summer and have been dieting very good and working out like crazy. I lost 4 pounds and then put two back on. I thought because of my "monthly friend" . Well I didnt get it and was a week late. So I tested 2 and it was negative and still nothing. Well I went to the doctor and it was negative (for some reason I still didnt believe it) then she called me on my way back to work and said that when she went to throw it away there was a faint positive. So my blood work confirmed I am!!! Very big supprise and very unplanned.

Now I am lost in the nutriton and fitness goals I should at. I read you are only suppose to eat 300 calories more. Well is that from my normal 1200 or the norm 2000? Also I was told fo my heart rate not to go over 140!! That sounds crazy to me because what about runners. I dont know about you but my heart rate goes up when I run. If any mothers out there have any advice please share :) or even stories.

Replies

• kirstindr
    kirstindr Posts: 27
    Options
    300 calories more than what it suggest you to eat when you are maintaining your weight, not when you are losing. So- if MFP tells you need to eat 2000 cals/ day to maintain, then you need to eat 2300 while pregnant. Take some prenatals.
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    no,no,no not from 1200! It's your daily cals without dieting and then extra. Okay? Now is not the time to diet. And, if you only had 10 to lose, it's no big deal, you can lose it after the baby comes easily if you are motivated and already was trying to eat healthy. Just remember pregnancy is not an excuse to pig out 24/7, and people will tell you "honey, you can eat whatever you want!" Sooo not true, think it's ladies who got fat while pregnant that want us to get fat while pregnant? Anyway that's what I did and that's why I'm in the shape I am in now, having to lose weight and all. Anyways... lol. Just eat your daily maintenance and then add the 300 to that. Congrats. So happy for you!! :)
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I dont knwo what you should be eating but congrats on the baby.x
  • Irish_Norwegian
    Options
    Congratulations! Keep up with the good nutrition and you won't gain extra fat during the pregnancy. As long as you're not having any complications, exercise and running are usually ok. If you have concerns about your heartrate, check with your doctor first. Hopefully you won't have morning sickness to deal with, because that can make it super hard to get the right nutrition. I was so sick with my 2nd one I actually lost 10 lbs by mid- 2nd trimester. Definitely take a prenatal vitamin. Happy and healthy 9months to you!! :-)
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    These are questions for your doctor and you to work out.

That said, the cals should be +300 over maintenance as a general starting point. Also, for activity, they say that if you've been active that you should be safe to continue with the activity that your body is used to. If you've been a runner, running should be safe to continue. But, listen to your body. If you feel like something is wrong or off, don't hesitate to call your doctor or ask. If you feel like you should take slow down, do it. With no other problems, you should be fine to carry on though.

Congrats on the pregnancy!
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You really don't need to start eating the extra 300 until your second trimester. When I was pregnant, I set my calorie goal to maintenance calories for the weight I wanted to be and tried to stay AROUND them.. it wasn't a big deal if I went over. I think it was around 1800. As long as your body is used to working out, continuing with your workouts shouldn't be a bad thing. Just make sure if you get uncomfortable or lightheaded, or if you just don't feel right, that you stop immediately, call your doctor, and definitely tone your workouts down.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    If you regularly worked out before you got pregnant, you can continue to do so once you're pregnant. I ran until I was nearly 6 months pregnant, I just went more slowly and didn't go as far, and then I walked until I gave birth, because it got too uncomfortable with the jarring from running to keep it up once my belly got too big. But you need to be VERY aware of your body, and not overdue it. Just workout lightly to maintain health, NOT to lose weight.

As for calories, you don't want to lose weight with pregnancy, period. Don't go from your diet calorie amount, because that's too little.

That being said, I never counted calories, I just ate what I felt like I needed. In the beginning, that wasn't much, because I was throwing up so much for the first few months. All I had were Ensure shakes to make sure I was getting the right nutrition. And you'll find once you get to the third trimester and everything is squished and doesn't have any room, you might not have much of an appetite at all. I remember barely eating much, because I just didn't have room. I put on the most weight in the second trimester, because I felt the best then. Just aim to eat healthy, and listen to your body. It won't let you down. :)

Congratulations!
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    That is true only 300 extra. When I was pregnant I was sick for 6 months. So I could only eat what sounded good to me. Some of it wasn't healthy. For some lunch I craved just a cheese sandwhich. So I would eat that with some yogurt and be full. I started getting sick at 5 weeks. I gained 26 lbs but lost 13 in the hospital and then lost the rest plus within 2 months of having her. You will be fine. Don't ever deprive yourself though. Goodluck and Congrats!!
  • RFrick
    RFrick Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the baby!!! Give yourself a little time and you'll adjust to the idea. I know, I felt very similair with my first pregnancy,but given a little time it's easier to just be excited. There is a wonderful group of expecting mothers here on MFP. Here is the link http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/222071-pregnancy-2011-april?page=3 Check it out - they are very supportive and encouraging. There is also a group for after the baby is born, but since I'm not there yet I don't have the link for that readily available. :smile: Good luck!!!
  • KristaPFT
    KristaPFT Posts: 63
    Options
    Congrats! You can still diet and exercise as normal. Just make sure you are getting enough nutrients thats all. The only time you need to worry about how hard you exercise is when you are far along because the extra weight from the baby will put stress on your joints. This is not to say you cant still exercise when your about to pop. You can still do the elliptical or bike...ect. It is actually better for you to have a nutritious diet and consistent exercise when you are preggers. People who say they need to eat more or not exercise because they are pregnant is because they are making excuses. Just tell your doctor that you are on a strict diet and you exercise...your doctor will advise you from there on what prenatal vit to take and certain foods that will be good to incorporate in your diet. The baby feeds off the nutrients from your food (not the actual food you eat) so it is a myth that you have to eat more for your baby. The truth is you need to eat (better) for your baby :) The hard part is that your hormones are what cause you to have crazy cravings which can lead to bad dieting. This will be the only thing you have to fight. Again, congrats! :flowerforyou:
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You can still diet and exercise as normal. Just make sure you are getting enough nutrients thats all. The only time you need to worry about how hard you exercise is when you are far along because the extra weight from the baby will put stress on your joints. This is not to say you cant still exercise when your about to pop. You can still do the elliptical or bike...ect. It is actually better for you to have a nutritious diet and consistent exercise when you are preggers. People who say they need to eat more or not exercise because they are pregnant is because they are making excuses. Just tell your doctor that you are on a strict diet and you exercise...your doctor will advise you from there on what prenatal vit to take and certain foods that will be good to incorporate in your diet. The baby feeds off the nutrients from your food (not the actual food you eat) so it is a myth that you have to eat more for your baby. The truth is you need to eat (better) for your baby :) The hard part is that your hormones are what cause you to have crazy cravings which can lead to bad dieting. This will be the only thing you have to fight. Again, congrats! :flowerforyou:

Thats funny bc I am not that hungry but all I have a taste for is SALTED peanuts and diet coke. I have no appetite it was hard to eat breakfast but I am not sick but I feel tired. So I am eating peanuts for the energy. When I am hungry all I want is the peanuts!