I'm not getting enough calories per ay

Options
I gave up dairy, sugar and wheat as prescribed by 2 doctors . I have a chronic cough issue. I am having a hard time getting enough calories per day. Any suggestions?. Most things I eat don't have many calories. I am getting enough protein. Yesterday I was over on protein. Do you think I just need to eat more between meals?

Replies

• igora_soma
    igora_soma Posts: 486
    Options
    That sounds tough! I have given up dairy because of a life-long lactose intolerancy I was in denial about :P My mom is gluten intolerant. I discovered this recipe I'm obsessed with.

Natural corn tortillas (wheat free)
    quorn grounds (meat free but high in fiber and protein!)
    vegan cheese
    fresh tomatoes
    avocados
    no salt added kidney beans (or any other kind of beans with very low/no salt)
    lime juice
    dash of salt and pepper

Mix the quorn and beans in a frying pan, after they are somewhat heated add the lime juice, salt and pepper. Heat the tortillas in the microwave (with paper towels between then so they don't stick).

Put cheese on the bottom of the tortilla, add the cooked quorn and beans, top with diced tomatoes and avocado and fold :)

I didn't put specific amounts because it depends on how many people are eating and your tastes. I find that it gives a lot of great nutrients, keeps me super full and is really rewarding!

Lastly, I have definitely started snacking more, in consistent intervals. It has really helped me to kick start my weight loss and I also enjoy what I eat more.

Good luck!
  • Mateo1985
    Mateo1985 Posts: 153
    Options
    How many calories a day are you aiming at?
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Dont worry about being over in protein. The amount set by MFP is actually very low. Ever thought about adding a protein shake? There are many that are dairy free, low in sugar and have no wheat. Also, when I am low on calories, I add fruit and nuts. I know fruit has a lot of sugar, but at least its natural. Some nuts are higher in calories. Cashews are about 160 calories for 25.
  • Barrettmomof3
    Barrettmomof3 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I would think eating more snacks would help. And I dont think being over in protein is a bad thing just as long as its not too fatty.
  • MightyMae1
    MightyMae1 Posts: 208
    Options
    I saw that you said you can't have wheat. I think that's hard. Can you have oats? Perhaps granola would be a good choice. You can get some trail mix style that have dried cranberries and almonds with oats and honey and no sugar, or you can get the cereal kind, but it's probably going to have sugar. I'd read the ingredients carefully to make sure. Nuts are high in calories, but they are very good for you.

Good luck.
  • elle18287
    elle18287 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Can we see your diary? Think I could help more if I could see it!
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I add avocados, pistacchios, almonds, and beans to give me more cals.
  • jmafte
    jmafte Posts: 46
    Options
    Carbs tend to have a lot of calories, you can get wheat free breads. I'd also look toward higher fatty foods that have good fat in them such as avocados, peanut butter, and things like that. I'm not sure what your caloric intake vs what it should be, but these are some of the things i'd suggest. When you say no sugar, do this even mean carbs in the way of rice since they break down to sugar, and fruit too?
  • ligomez
    ligomez Posts: 3
    Options
    You may not be getting enough carbs in your diet. Have you tried looking up other non-wheat based carbs? it's important to get fiber in your diet. There are many products with good carbs and no sugar.
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    NUTS! They are good for you and higher in calories. Going over on protein is no biggie. MFP has protein set very low if you ask me.
  • Ariyasnow1
    Ariyasnow1 Posts: 117
    Options
    I add avocados, pistacchios, almonds, and beans to give me more cals.

I agree.

Are you just giving up wheat 'gluten'? I've given up dairy and cutting back on breads in general/gluten myself and running into the same problem. I found eating a variety of gluten free pasta's and rice helps me bulk up on calories.
  • mkennedym
    mkennedym Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    nuts would help. a serving of nuts is hundreds of calories usually and has plenty of fat and protein. for carbs you could try fruit.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Living in a primarily gluten free house there are TONS of foods out there taht are wheat free. I would learn to make your own bread though the stuff from the store is terrible. You can get a great gluten free waffle mix by bisquick though at most grover stores and although its a little heavier it tastes amazing. I agree with everyone else, starchy sugar/cards? nautral sugars? or all sugars? if you arent sure PLEASE ask your doctors for clarification. Coming from a large medical family doctors simply dont realize they arent fully explaining themselves sometimes! And Patient HAVE to be their own advocates. If you cont understand something ask ask ask away
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I like to add corn grits/polenta to a meal to help bulk it up. Sometimes i drizzle hot sauce on it as well! I try to limit my wheat intake so i have been exploring other grains, like corn, quinoa, rice noodles, etc. Snacking is always helpful as well!

:D