Are you a warrior? Need your help...

Options
Thank you so much for reading this... and hopefully responding to my question. I have been successful at losing weight many times in my life... but never successful in keeping it off. Each time I lost weight, I gained even more back. At one point I weighed over 260 pounds. I've lost over 60 pounds now, but still have 40 or so pounds to go. I have battles in my head over food, and I'm learning to reign in my brain by thinking of myself as a warrior and choosing my responses to my internal battles. I'd like to keep some inspirational thoughts (real live thoughts... not the kind from a book written from someone who doesn't understand) in my dresser to read over daily. Maybe you'd like to do the same... we can all help each other. I'm interested in picking your brain, and happy to share with you anything I've learned too:

**When you are having a "struggle", what thoughts do you battle and how have you overcome those thoughts?**

Here's mine (in hopes to help you too):
Battle: My brain seems to have a mind of it's own. In other words, thoughts come into my brain that are detrimental to my goals. I trick myself sometimes by giving myself an excuse like, "You've been so good for sooo long, just one little slip up won't make that much of a difference"
My "Warrior" Response: I take a deep breath and say to myself, "I am strong now, able and willing to make good choices for myself. Is there something bothering me? If so, its okay, I'm strong enough to handle anything. I promise to forgive myself for any mistakes I have made and try to help myself to make the best choices possible. I'm fine, I'm good, I'm strong.

Replies

• Macacadopai
    Macacadopai Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Oh yes yes yes I talk to myself (out loud sometimes, I kid you not!) almost every morning. "Yes, you ARE going running, I'm not kidding I'll get so disappointed if you don't, and in a few hours you'll be looking at the watch thinking, damn i would've been done by now " etc.
    Usually the conversation starts when i have my morning coffee and ends when I'm out the door. :P haha
  • jkq2003
    jkq2003 Posts: 27
    Options
    I typically have those conversations with myself when I am really tired and so don't feel like getting up to exercise.

My body/mind say: "Oh, we are on a roll, we have already lost 23 lbs and you are eating so much better and working out consistently so missing one morning will not kill you. You know that you really don't want to get up and do the stairs this morning."

I have to tell myself: "You really need to get up and go workout. You will feel so much better when you are done and you will be 1 step closer to your goal."

I don't really have a goal weight or a size that I want to get to. I just know that I am not in a healthy place and I need to get better at what I am eating and the exercise that I am participating in will help me to get in shape and be able to run and play with my kids for years to come.
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    My fitness journal has spaces for 12 goals. I have but one..............I do NOT want to lead the life that my parents are living in their later years; sedentary, confined to the house because of multiple health issues, inability to walk, breathing problems, etc.
    This image keeps me moving, keeps me going to the gym, and most importantly, helps to keep me making better food choices for the most part. Basically, I am trying to outrun my genetics. So, I want to be able to run faster in order to keep the inevitable at bay as long as possible. Soldier on!