Calorie ate + calorie burned??? HELP

Options
Im aiming to burn 3500 calories a week but in my "goal" the target is only 1700. I know sometimes you are suppose to eat your exercise calories back. If Im burning around 600 calories each workout how around how many calories should I be consuming a day??

Replies

• greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    You're supposed to eat most of them back.
    MFP already has a deficit built in, if you don't eat your exercise calories back your body won't get enough fuel and in the long run won't help you one bit
  • snickerpants
    snickerpants Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    MFP gives you a daily caloric intake that already has those 3500 calories taken out. For example: depending on your height/weight your body needs 2000 calories/day to do all the basic stuff like walking and breathing. MFP gives you a calorie budget of 1500 calories/day. This automatically reduces your intake by 3500 calories per week.

THEN when you exercise you are burning more calories than you need to - so you can eat them back. You want to do this because losing weight too fast will make your metabolism slow down and you won't lose weight very easily.

It sounds backwards but it's the healthier way to lose weight.

To answer your question specifically: If your target daily consumption of calories is 1700 and you burn 600 through exercise then your calorie intake for that day increases to 2300. Lots of people don't eat their exercise calories back - I tend to think of mine as a "drink a glass of wine" card. I don't eat them all back but I do treat myself to something yum.

Like Cabernet....