DR PEPPER ADDICTION!

Options
I have been "a pepper" for as long as I can remember. When I found out I was pregnant (6 years ago) I quit smoking and gave up soda. Soda for me was harder to quit - and even then I cheated on the soda part. My usual routine was anywhere from four to nine 20 oz bottles of regular Dr. Pepper a day and I rarely gained weight. For the past couple of monts I have been drinking less than 3 (usually 2) Dr. Peppers, one or two diets and 8 to 10 glasses of water. I have traded burgers for salads and am generally eating better. I have started exercising at least twice a week to 30 minute circut training videos.

WHY IS THE SCALE NOT MOVING? and why can't I put the Dr. Peppers away for good?! I literally crave them! Any ex-addicts out there with some advice?

Replies

• jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'm an 'ex-pepper' :) That stuff was heaven for me...but I forced myself to drink water instead. Soon, I would try to reward myself with a Dr. Pepper but threw it away because it wasn't as satisfying. I haven't had any soda now for over 100 days! I would say, you really can do it, you're just telling yourself you can't. So JUST DO IT :) Grab a water instead, pretty soon it won't even feel like a need.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Coca Cola addict here

Did you know that if caffeine were a new ingredient trying to enter the US today it would be illegal? Because it is highly addictive?
    And Dr Pepper & Mountain Dew have the highest caffeine levels?

Reduce reduce reduce

I got myself down to one can of coke a day, now its 1 (maybe 2) ever 3-4 days. If you can cut out one can, one half bottle, anything. DO that for a week, then cut out more, then more, then once youre down to a can a day try to go without one day a week. Be prepared for some migraine meds though as you will go through withdrawal syptoms (hence why you ended up cheatng while pregnant and my OB actually told me a little daily was OK)
  • sportster06
    Options
    We crave it because of the caffeine. It stimulates the body. The sugar content gives us a 'quick' energy source that is quickly consumed by the body. If you can go a week without the 'pepper', you should have the caffeine out of your system. The headaches will stop (if you get them from withdrawl), and the 'crave' will disappear.
  • aprilmssmith
    aprilmssmith Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm a Dr. Pepper lover, too. I switched to Mio. As long as I have that I can do without the soda, but I do still occasionally have a Dr. Pepper. AND IT IS HEAVEN!
  • kristylynne
    kristylynne Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any soda now for over 100 days! I would say, you really can do it, you're just telling yourself you can't. So JUST DO IT :)

Congratulations!and Thanks! Knowing someone else did it makes me a lot more hopeful
  • jcreedy
    jcreedy Posts: 15
    Options
    I haven't had a DP since February. For me, I had to give it up cold turkey. I tried to reduce to just one per day, but that just made me want it more. It was hard, but after about week, the craving stops. Cutting out all that sugar in DP has made a HUGE difference in my weight and energy. Good luck!
  • tfis4life
    tfis4life Posts: 11
    Options
    Oh I hear you! I was super addicted to Dr. Pepper too. This is how I quit after many failed attempts. First, I read all of the negative effects caffeine can have on your body and health. Second I switched to something minus the caffeine (and something I didn't really like) Rootbeer to kill the craving for something fizzy. Slowly I cut back on the amount I would drink of even the rootbeer. I went from getting a 44oz drink one week to 32 the next and 20 the next until the cravings were easier to deal with. Then I just quit soda all together. Some days when I am super stressed it is hard to resist, but I do because of my health and the calorie content of it all! Stay strong and take it slow. That is the best way I found for me. Hope you find something that works for you!!!
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I saw the toppic line and knew this post was for me. I have a very long and loving relationship with a Dr named Pepper. People look at me like im insane when I am at the store and tell them I need to go find my husband, come back with a dr pepper, and say I found him! I am addicted to it, I get seriously painful headaches on those days that I do not have atleast one dr pepper. I dont want to divorce him lol.
  • Kelblue1
    Kelblue1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I agree with others.. I used to be "a pepper" too.. mostly when eating pizza and mexican food. I switched to Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper and just diet Dr. p for about a month and then now I only have about one Diet Coke a week. Every once in a while I crave Dr. Pepper again and I will try to drink one and honestly it really doesn't taste as good as I remember. I usually can't drink more than half and I'm done cuz it doesn't satisfy me like it used too. I think it falls in the same catagory as things like sweets. I hardly ever eat candy anymore. I grabbed a snickers at the store the other day and had about 2 bites and hate to stop. It was sooo sweet I couldn't eat anymore. I think once you change your eating habits for a month or so then things start to taste different!
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I am a ex soda drinker(coke,pepsi etc) it was like water to me. I used to drink it everyday. I gave up 7 weeks ago and have not looked back. I just stopped one day and after a week i did not even think of it anymore. My stomach is a lot more flatter. Seems to have got the scales going down for me again.
    You can do it trust me i thought i would never give them up. It is all in the mind it is your mind telling you cant.
    Good luck
  • lg7824
    lg7824 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I used to drink nothing but soda....now I drink water with the 5 calorie powder drink packets throughout the day. Then at dinner I allow myself an 8 oz glass of soda. Which is not that high in calories. This gives me the water I need throughout the day and I still get to enjoy the things I like in moderation. This isn't about giving up stuff we like its about moderation.
  • kristylynne
    kristylynne Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you all for the advice! I think I will have to set a "quit date" and work toward it!lol
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    It's easier to go cold turkey for a month. After that, you shouldn't miss them. If you do, reach for a sparkling flavored water. Those are yummy!
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a DP since February. For me, I had to give it up cold turkey. I tried to reduce to just one per day, but that just made me want it more. It was hard, but after about week, the craving stops. Cutting out all that sugar in DP has made a HUGE difference in my weight and energy. Good luck!

This. The "cutting back" thing never worked. I just had to stop drinking it. I was up to 4-6 cans a day. For the first few weeks, it sucked hard. But at this point, I drink so much water, it's hard to get other liquids in. Once I got used to it, I started drinking soda again. I can now stick to having it once a week or less. Even then I rarely drink a whole bottle/can by myself. I usually split it with my daughter or husband.