what to do?

cj1234cj23
cj1234cj23 Posts: 113 Member
edited September 26 in Fitness and Exercise
I have a question after reading some posts. I want to lose my weight (have weigh in for job) and tone. Is it best to concentrate specifically on lots of cardio till I get near goal weight and then start strength training to tone. What's worked best for you?
Also, the bump thing, I understand if this question's been asked before, but I wasn't here then, so I'd appreciate any help I could get, thanks! and have a blessed day!

Replies

• cj1234cj23
    Oops! LOL. Just found out what BUMP meant. In a post I read that bump meant the topic had already been covered, but I just asked again, and I was told that it meant that they could then follow the thread.. Umm....at least I found out about that one!
  • evanness
    evanness Posts: 25
    I would say do some light strength training along with a lot of cardio. You don't want to bulk up on top of the weight you're trying to lose but you also want to work on your muscle while you're losing weight. "Muscle burns fat" so you want to build your muscle to boost your metabolism and help increase your burn.
  • Barrettmomof3
    Barrettmomof3 Posts: 140 Member
    I agree its best to do both. Just keep the reps up and the weight low on the strength training. From my understanding is that cardio and strength training are equally important when trying to lose weight / tone.
  • cj1234cj23
    hmmm....when you say reps up are you talking 12-15, or more or less?
  • evanness
    evanness Posts: 25
    hmmm....when you say reps up are you talking 12-15, or more or less?

Definitely more than that if you're doing lighter weights! We do an exercise routine that focuses on muscular endurance (so lighter weights and more reps) and the instructor does around 30 to 40 reps of everything (I do it with five pound weights). But she does rotate a little, like for bicep curls she does them for a little while with both arms, then she'll switch to alternating arms, then back to both, etc.
  • You will really not need to worry about "bulking up". It is a myth that the average "Jane" will bulk up if she lifts weights. It is something that cardio alone will not acheive. Think of your muscles as the Engine. The more tuned they are, the more efficient your body will operate, and the more calories you will burn when you are just sitting at your desk all day long. Cario will burn calories right NOW, but when you're done, you're not burning any more. Whereas when you lift weights, your muscles will continue to burn for up to 48 hours after your workout. Great metabolism booster!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Think of it this way: if you start using weights now, as you lose, you will be revealing the toned awesomeness, rather than revealing you scrawniness and then having yet another thing to change.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Agree with the above, it's pretty much impossible for women to bulk up so I wouldn't worry about that. When you do strength training, you want to find a weight that's enough to challenge you. For example, say you're doing a bicep curl with a 5 pound weight to start. By the 8th rep, you should start to feel what some refer to as failure - which is the muscle getting tired. If this doesn't happen, you need to up the weight by 2 pounds until you feel that. Then work your way up to 2 or 3 sets of 10-12 reps and then up the weight again. This is what my buddy the personal trainer taught me and it works great!
  • cj1234cj23
    I definitely like that toned awesomeness idea! :tongue:
This discussion has been closed.