Hunger "swings"

Options
Just curious if anyone else goes thru this, and if they have any advice. For the most part, I'm satisfied with my calorie allowance and the foods I choose to eat. I often go to bed satisfied - not stuffed, not starving- and wake up hungry, a good sign. BUT, some days I'm absolutely flipping starving and want to snack ALL day, and some days I feel ungodly full the entire day - so much so that it's a struggle to get myself to eat, but I know I need to to keep up the burn, so to speak. Anyone else? Anyone have any ideas why? Any advice? On those starving days, I find I'm more amped to work out, so, maybe a mind body connection clicking? Also, I do drink lots of water, and even more so on those super hungry days - it just doesn't work!

Replies

• JenOman
    JenOman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have this issue. Not so much the days of feeling overly full (unless I go over calories or eat a ton all at once), but there days that I feel like a bottomless pit. I found that if I find snacks that give me more for less calories I do okay, like berries. A cup of blackberries is ~60 calories and satisfies me because I get to eat a lot of them!

But working out also helps me feel less hungry for a while, and allows me to eat more, since that is what I really want : )

I also think it is okay to eat when you are hungry, even if you are over calories, but just try to make better decisions. Like if I really really want chips and hummus, I do it, but stop at a serving (I measure everything on a food scale) and see if I am satisfied before I get more.

Being healthy is hard!
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Different factors out there spike your metabolism. When it spikes up, you become more hungry and more energtic. When it's low, it does the opposite.

Usually it's something in the diet. If it is in the diet, it usually linked to carbs. If it's sugar carbs, then thats bad. If it's fiber carbs, then it's good. You just have to see what your diet trends are when those symptoms are arising.

What I do... I basically eat one giant meal throughout the day. This is not always possible but I try no matter what. What I mean is.. I eat very very slow. I've been eating my breakfast for over an hour now. Then it's time for my snacks... Then my lunch jumps at me... then snacking.. then dinner.. then snacking....

Don't worry, you'll figure it out. It's just a change that you'll learn to love. ;)
  • cree324
    cree324 Posts: 8
    Options
    Microwave popcorn and a bottle of water usually helps me! I too go through this hungry phase especially when it's menstrual time. I finally beat the chocolate cravings with the snackwell fudge minis. Good luck you can beat the hungry feeling.