Diet Pop and Pregos

Options
So I want to maintiain whatever I can during pregnancy and I am craving diet coke. Is that ok? I dont want to add all that sugar and drink regular coke if I dont have to. Also I am assuming splenda is a no no (I am a big user). Also, honey is a bi sweetner, is that ok?

Replies

• FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I dont think it is the best thing to drink when your pregnant,ive heard the caffine isnt good.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    I don't see how spenda is bad for you... It stays along the digestive track and is not absorbed.
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I think it's safest to say from a caffeine perspective that it's not the best choice. There are several sweeteners (including splenda) that are generally considered safe in pregnancy but of course, everything that is 'considered' safe is still at your own risk.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    My wife probably drank 4-5 cokes a day while pregnant and the only thing I can think it did was cause the egg to split cause we got twins. :bigsmile: Of course she is an RN was working as an ER nurse at the time so she was on her feet 12 hrs a day and worked until 21 days before the girls were born. I think you need to talk to your doctor about this.

BTW, how bout them Cubbies!!!! 1st place (yeah kinda by default, but it is still 1st place).
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Melinda Johnson
    dietitian

Yes, as long as you don't overdo the caffeine, which you'll want to limit to 200 mg per day.

The non-nutritive sweeteners used in these drinks are considered safe, especially if you're drinking them in moderation. If you like these drinks, you can allow yourself a can or two a day, but make sure you're also drinking water, milk, and 100 percent fruit juice for hydration and nutrition.

Russell Turk
    obstetrician

Diet sodas often contain both caffeine and an artificial sweetener. There are several types of artificial sweeteners you may see on nutrition labels:

Aspartame (NutraSweet): Seems to be okay when consumed in moderation (the amount found in one or two 12-ounce servings of soda per day).

Saccharin (Sweet'n Low): Saccharin was found to cause birth defects in laboratory rats when consumed in very high amounts. Because its safety in smaller amounts is hard to prove, I would advise avoiding it.

Sucralose (Splenda): This relatively new sweetener, a modified form of regular table sugar, appears to be safe. But because it hasn't been extensively studied, it's best used in moderation.

heres what i found on honey
    http://www.babycenter.com/404_is-it-safe-to-eat-honey-during-pregnancy_10305372.bc
  • Codepink
    Codepink Posts: 6
    Options
    The studies are not conclusive on the affects of aspartame on developing fetuses. That being said I drank a bottle of regular coke every day after the first trimester and I didn't gain abnormal weight untill I had to go live in a hotel closer to the hospital.
    Try not to obsess over calories when you're pregnant. Stay active and walk as much as possible.
    Good luck and congrats on the bun in your oven!

wow pp is on top of this! lol ignore any bad info in here!
  • DimenaZhena
    DimenaZhena Posts: 102
    Options
    My doctor told me no artificial sweetners, if possible.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is no good during pregnancy.....splenda is to new to know the long term effects, so while some say its safe, I say what you dont know CAN potentially hurt you (and your baby). I would skip the soda, but if you REALLY want one, go fora small glass of the regular. A little bit of caffeine is ok. How about flavored seltzer?
    Honey is ok during pregnancy.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I would try to stay away from the caffine... plus the artifical sugars are bad for you...

honey is okay! plus it is all natural for you..

And dont forget... exercising is perfectly okay, weight lifting not so much, but cardio definately! so dont think that you don't get to work out just cuz your pregnant
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant with my daughter, I avoided all caffeine.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Try to figure out if it's the fizzy, the sweet, or the caffeine your body is after. If it's fizzy, reach for a flavored sparkling water. If it's sugar or caffeine, that's something you will have to learn to master. I think super dark chocolate can help with the caffeine (I like 99% cacao). Sugar you can satisfy with fruit (nature's candy bar)
  • BaronessBlixen
    BaronessBlixen Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I distinctly remember seeing "do not ingest if pregnant" on the backs of Nutra-Sweet packets (which is aspartame).
  • lculian
    lculian Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I always suggest talking to your doctor. He knows you and your health better than we do:wink: My dr. asked me to stay away from Diet soft drinks and caffeinated soft drinks. If I really felt like a soda, I stuck with Orange Crush, or Root Beer. It was a nice treat every once in awhile:flowerforyou:
    Keep up the exercise and enjoy your journey. I loved being pregnant with my first, my stomach was so nice and tight! I felt great:)
    Congratulations!!!!!
  • thedestar
    thedestar Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    I drank diet soda when I was pregnant, but it was root beer so I didn't get the caffeine. The only reason I chose diet over regular is because I had gestational diabetes. But I would say ask your dr :bigsmile:
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Splenda is Sucralose.
  • MoonlightMerlot
    MoonlightMerlot Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it's the best thing to have every single day: there isn't much in it that contributes to building healthy little cells.
  • bjenny12345
    bjenny12345 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I would avoid soda, regular or diet, when you are pregnant. It causes your body to be more acidic, thus leading to heart burn etc. which is a common issue for pregnant women in the first place. You can go 9 months without it, drink more water!
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    you are allowed techinically i believe 35g of caffinee during pregnancy, but your OB may recommend different. I had one caffinated drink a day with my daughter. Though on the other hand I did hear that Diet Coke Specifically was not good. You may want to talk to your OB on this one. Or maybe try another Diet Alternative if your really craving it!
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I had a cup of coffee every day while I was pregnant...and a pepsi once in a great while. I don't EVER drink pepsi and I craved it when I was pregnant.
    Honey is okay while your pregnant, but don't give it to a child under the age of...2 I think? If I remember right!

Anyways, congrats to you!! That is awesome!
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go near diet drinks. I used to drink caffeine free sprite usually one a day. I replaced with my diet drinks. I know someone that is a nurse in the ob and now she is a counselor for breastfeeding and all that. She said it can really affect the baby.