Looking for a good Strength training DVD.

Options
I would like to include more strength training in my workouts, but I'm a complete newb at it, so I'm looking for a good beginners strength training DVD. I would like a DVD that gives as much attention to the lower body as the upper body. All I have are hand weights, and I don't have space for any crazy, big contraptions or pieces of equipment. I work 13+ hours a day with a 3 hour round trip commute, and I live in the middle of the woods; no where near a gym, so I need a workout that I can do at home.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Replies

• mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I use the ChaLEAN Extreme strength training DVDs and love them! My 15 year old daughter also does the program with me and has no problem.

I've heard quite a few folks on here talk about Jillian's DVDs for strength training, but I don't know anything about them. You could also check out bodyrock.tv

Hope this helps!
  • kristi223
    kristi223 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones is a great strength training DVD!! Definitely one of my favorites!
  • Christie23
    Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I really like Jackie Warner's power circuit training videos. Excellent strenth training but it's at such a fast pace, especially her power burns, that it counts as cardio too.
  • sweetsexy43
    sweetsexy43 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Jilliian Micheals 30-day Shred..is a good one as well
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    I use the ChaLEAN Extreme strength training DVDs and love them! My 15 year old daughter also does the program with me and has no problem.

I've heard quite a few folks on here talk about Jillian's DVDs for strength training, but I don't know anything about them. You could also check out bodyrock.tv

Hope this helps!

I've just got ChaLean Extreme - can I ask if you do it with weights or bands??

It looks pretty good, I did it a couple of weeks ago (I had Burn Circuit 1 as a bonus on some DVD) but I only had very light weights to use. I now have a range of heavier resistance bands, as I can't yet afford the selecty-weight thing. If you have bigger weights/bands I think it will work wonders :smile:
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I do them with weights, but I have used the bands for the few times that I've been away from home.

The SelectTech weights are very pricey. I do have a set of SelectTechs, but only because I happened across an online coupon for nearly half off - but you won't find those often!

However, you can buy some weights that range from 5-25 lbs. that are adjustable and run in the $100 range. I have a set of those that my daughter uses. I found mine on overstock.com - they are the 'versabell' brand.

All in all, I really like the SelectTechs, except for the fact that they are a bit bulky. I use the smaller Versabells for overhead tricep lifts and other lifts that are closer to the body. We also have a set of weighted gloves - they are 1 lb. each - and my daughter adds in wearing the gloves when one weight seems too light, but the next one up seems too heavy, so it just adds in an additional pound to increase the challenge slightly.

Hope this helps! ChaLEAN is my go-to strength routine. I sub in other cardio from time to time, but 3x per week, I'm lifting weights with ChaLEAN.
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Chalean Extreme too. I am using the bands and they work fine. I would rather have weights, but too pricey for me. I did find a resistance band at Target that has 3 bands you can clip on or off so you can use 1,2 or all 3 at one time to increase resistance. I found the cheapo single bands weren't enough in the Push month (which totally surprised me:). I also have Jackie Warner's Timesaver Express and liked that, although I don't think it's nearly as effective. But a great option if you don't have the big bucks to shell out for Chalean Extreme; also you can get away with light weights, like 5 lbs.
  • ahanson6
    ahanson6 Posts: 102
    Options
    The ChaLEAN series is a little out of my price range at the moment, but I went ahead and ordered Jackie Warner's Timesaver Express. It looked good and it's short enough that I won't have too much trouble adding it to my day. Thanks for the help everyone.