Day 44: I wish the scale would read what my body feels

Options
Doing my best to stay on top of things and keeping the hard work up. In all honesty, it's getting harder. While I absolutely love the gym, I love the feeling of working out and the feeling I get afterwards, I love the healthy foods I've been eating and trying, but the kicker - NOTHING has changed on the scale.

I thought that I was starting to kick this plateau, but it seems that I'm not. Maybe it's woman hood creeping up on me, but I'm starting to feel heart broken again. I just have to vent.

I work out 4-6 days a week. I bust my butt doing well over the MFP recommended calorie burn. I do cardio, weights, stretching, etc. I have even conquered the dreaded elliptical. - I hate that machine. As stated before, I love working out! And the feeling afterwards? It's what totally keeps me going and jamming to my iPod.

My eating habits have changed tremendously. I have struggled for years with junk food cravings, emotional eating, and the snacking pitfalls. Now, I get 3 meals a day with 1-2 snacks in between. I have increased my calorie intake because I felt 1200 was just too low. I thought my body was hitting starvation mode? When I first started to do 1500 I felt so much better. I have energy - lots of it. The scale started to move, not a lot, but it started to move. My shopping cart, fridge, cupboards are full of lean meats, protien, nuts, fresh fruits and veggies, EVOO, pepper, no salt, milk, yogurt, and cheeses. For the past several weeks of Lent, I've been keeping my promises of no fast food, no soda, no junk ...

And where has this all lead me?

No where ...

I'm feeling frustrated all the while I'm feeling good. I'm feeling heart broken, but I'm still happy. I'm still wearing the same jeans, but I'm on the last notch of my belt before I need a smaller one.

I know the scale isn't everything. I wish I took new "before" measurements of myself before the Lenten season started because I know I have lost an inch or two. I know I feel good and that's the reason to keep going. I just wish for once the scale would read what my body feels. It's like your job - you work hard to pay the bills, but the bills keep stacking up? Where's the relief? Where's the "bonus" you deserve?

But it's been three years since I started MFP, two years since my "issues" put back the 10 pounds I lost the first year. And it's still the 4 lbs yo-yo. Will I ever be able to see under 150? My goal is to be 125-130, but now at this point, I just want to be under 145!

Replies

• jessicafreake
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing great in the food and exercise area. Start taking measurments now you could be gaining some muscle or just making your body leaner. Its not just the scale that counts its the small things, like needing a new belt because you are on the last notch, by taking measurments you will be able to see the changes that the scale is not showing. When at the gym next time you can check to see if they have the body fat test tools and have them measure your body fat to see where you need to make your improvments, and make sure to do your measurements once a month and take some before and after photos so that you can see your improvments there as well.

Good luck
  • Samiwhereareyou
    Samiwhereareyou Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I hear what you are saying and thats rough. I know if you just keep with it you will get past this platu. Keep working out if you love it do things that are fun and keep you happy. I dont know what to say that will help you or make you feel like the winner you are. just keep it up and I was listening.
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    Options
    Thanks ladies for letting me vent!!!
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are MEASURING EVERYTHING that passes you lips (use a scale). And be careful about your estimate of how much you burn with your exercise. (use a heart rate monitor if you can)