Dinner ideas .....mmmmmm

SuperMoniMonk
SuperMoniMonk Posts: 467 Member
edited September 26 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok I usually just have some lean cuisine pizza, I don't really have time to cook at night . So I tend to go out and buy something which is not always good ..or I make sandwiches but all those carbs at nightime doesn't seem right either.

Can soups are a bit high in sodium and I cant have soup everynight either...lol

I try to eat my carbs earlier in the day and also have eggs in the morning ...I cant think what to at night.
It should be something light right?

any ideas

Replies

• Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Do you like shrimp? They're super easy and fast! Do a quick thaw by running them under warm water, throw them in the pan with a few sprays of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray and some Old Bay seasoning and in 10 minutes they'll be good to go! Toss in some of the frozen green giant steamers (I really like the potato and green bean one, and the rice and veggie one!) and you have a complete meal for under 300 calories. Message me if you want some other ideas. I work full time and go to school full time so I'm all about the homecooked, healthy and quick meals!
  • I work late every night. What I do is cook for a couple of days. I bake chicken breast and eat with steamed veggies, you could add italian dressing or bbq sauce depending on your mood. I also do large stir frys and eat those over a couple of days. I like to do stuff in the crockpot. Spark people has excellent recipes you can tell it how many calories, what meats, low carb, and then search by ingredient. I also like batch cooking because I know how many calories for the next few days.
  • bestdaysahead
    bestdaysahead Posts: 90 Member
    How about a salad? I eat McDonald's grilled chicken salad almost every day and it is delicious! Less than 400 calories and it sure does fill you up. No guilt either!
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Protein Protein Protein! Maybe grill up a bunch of chicken over the weekend so you can have it all week. Do a stir fry one night, fast and easy so are Fajita's or soft tacos. Veggies cook fast and just toss in sliced up chicken pieces long enough to re-heat. Done in one pan! Just use low cal/fat sides to go with them.

Toss cold chicken in a salad to add Protein and flavor or make your own chicken pizza on a bagel thin, that fills up your whole week!
  • SarahWrittenThin
    SarahWrittenThin Posts: 595 Member
    There are light sodium soups. I like the soup and hand lower sodium line up.

Boil in a bad rice with beans is good too.

Wraps/ sandwiches

Salad

baked chicken with veggies

Fish

There are steamers that are broccoli, carrots and cauliflower that are good.

Birds eye just came out with some new steamer types with spanish rice and veggies and a few others.
  • SuperKatie
    SuperKatie Posts: 94 Member
    Never thaw any meat under warm water. EVER. Especially seafood. Just use cool running water. It will go as fast and keep the shrimp integrity.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Could you make your own frozen dinners on the weekends? Jus cook up some low cal/low fat casseroles and split them into serving sizes. Pop a few in the fridge for the first couple days and the rest in the freezer for the rest of the week.
    Also, the crock pot is great for having food ready to go when you get home.

Don't worry so much about eating late at night. Dinner tends to be my biggest meal of the day and it's never held me back from losing. As long as you eat a reasonable portion and don't snack after, it shouldn't cause any problems.
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 234 Member
    I take it you are cooking or making meals for just you?

I love those flat out or low carb wraps witha bit of cream cheese and deli meat and lettuce tomatoe etc. for some veggies in there (oh and cucumber too!)

or on weekends or days off I would make chili in my crock pot with ground turkey and kidney beans with chili seasoning and the when cooled enough put in individual containers and freeze. I love beans and cook beans every weekend LOL then have 'em all week LOL.
  • Try cooking a few extra meals on a Sunday night (or whatever works best for you). Here are some of my favorite healthy recipes.

Spinach and Red Pepper Pita Pizza
    http://www.delish.com/recipefinder/spinach-pepper-pita-pizzas-recipe-mslo0610

Curried Chicken Salad
    (I use canned chick instead of tofu)
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/curried_tofu_salad.html

Yummy Enchiladas
    http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/recipe.aspx?recipeID=35748&Source=SearchResultPage&terms=enchilada

Healthy Stuffed Peppers
    tons of flavor!!
    http://www.bethenny.com/2010/08/06/stuffed-peppers-recipe/

Yummy Michelle (it's named for my friend who makes it)
    delish stir fry or lo mein type thingy
    yakisoba or chinese noodles, red and green peppers, mushrooms, extra firm tofu (or chicken), garlic and hoison sauce. Brown tofu and garlic. At same time, cook noodles to package directions. Dice and throw in veggies to tofu skillet (mushrooms last or their be too soft) just enough to steam them with lid on. Mix them all in a bowl with 3-5 tblspoons of hoison sauce (taste to liking). Add pepper or crushed red pepper.

A quesadilla takes me less than 5 minutes on the stove. One tortilla shell, 1/2 cup of shredded mex cheese, 1/2 cup of black beans (rinsed first to reduce the sodium greatly), chicken if you want. Fold in half. Cook on med-high until each side is brown. It's kind of like making a grilled cheese, but you don't need to grease the frying pan or butter the tortilla.

A grilled cheese is another option with low cal bread like an Arnold sandwich thin or a pita. Maybe cook some sandwich meat ham or turkey in with the cheese.

Hope I gave you some helpful ideas! Good luck!!
  • SuperMoniMonk
    SuperMoniMonk Posts: 467 Member
    Thank you ! Thank you !!! thank you !!!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    in order to make this work for you and be healthy forever with long-term health, you really should start changing things up. Meaning....learn how to cook some really super easy low-cal,low-fat, low-carb meals. Find me on FB at jmcole@charter.net or jean LaCava Cole and in my notes section I have tons of those kinds of recipes. I can have dinner to the table in 15-20 mins most nights. I used lots of extra lean ground turkey or chicken breasts in my recipes. If you take the time to prepare a good meal, you will be more satisfied and plus it wil just be healthier for you.
This discussion has been closed.