Processed lunch meats...

Options
"Processed lunch meats can raise your risk of heart disease by 42%"- The Dr's .....and I'm watching this as I'm eating my turkey & cheese roll-up's for lunch, lol, *sigh*

Replies

• astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Dr Travis is SOOOO hot. Damn Turkey.
  • hwjssc
    hwjssc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    that's not good:(
    I love flat out bread with lunch meat and fat free cheese:(
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Dr Travis is SOOOO hot. Damn Turkey.

hehe:love:
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I like to get lunch meats at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. That way they are natural and humanely raised meats and less processed. Like anything else, moderation is key. But a lunch meat turkey is always a good lunch or snack!
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    processed anything isn't really good for you.
  • tmthorn0927
    tmthorn0927 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    darn it!!!!!!!!!
  • packersdan
    packersdan Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I usually will have lunch meat on a sandwich (imagine that, haha) for dinner when I get home from the gym........not anymore, but this is because I finally realized how much sodium is in lunch meat!.....no wonder I have been over my sodium goals everyday!!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    What sort of processing exactly? I go out of my way to buy meats with no added nitrates, nitrites, phosphates (basically no --ites or -ates).
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Did they say why lunch meat raises the risk of heart disease that much? Is it the sodium? Is it all lunch meat, or just the high fat ones like bologna and salami? I'm really curious to learn more!

Funny add-on - when I saw the title of your thread, I read it as "POSSESSED lunch meats"! LOL
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE FROM SOMETHING, MIGHT AS WELL BE SOMETHING TASTY!!
  • BeachLife76
    BeachLife76 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Packersdan,

I have to watch my sodium levels as well. If you buy the Oscar Meyer deli fresh meats, they aren't too terribly bad on sodium. I think 6 slices is like 300mg which isn't too bad and you can do 3 slices on each sandwhich. And stay away from anything in a can! :)
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Sooooo much cheaper to make your own lunch meats. Cook a whole chicken (or just breasts) or turkey or beef roast, slice it up and divide into portions and throw it in the freezer. Easy to take some out for the week and thaw in the fridge and it's ready to go each day. Will be buying some of the meat to replenish my "lunch meat" stocks next week.

And you don't get any of the issues from processing & sodium. :wink:
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    ok. this is becoming overwhelming when everyday i read this is bad for me, that is bad for me. seems like it would have to become a full-time job if I wanted to eat clean all the time to make sure that everything i am putting in mouth is not going to kill or harm me in some way.

but, thanks for the info. :)
  • jessimacar
    jessimacar Posts: 291
    Options
    I didn't read all the replies, so this may have been mentioned, but if you go to the smaller delis rather than the ones in grocery stores, they often cure/cook their own deli meats. I worked at both a grocery store deli and a small ukranian deli, and the difference is remarkable. at the ukranian deli they actually had their chefs cook the roast beef and corned beef they'd be selling that day. so everything was as fresh as if you'd made it at home. just a thought to avoid some of the preservatives and other awful chemicals in deli meats!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options

I'd rather not tell me daughters that I'm on my death bed because a bologne sandwich was more important to me than their graduations, weddings, or to see my grandchildren.
  • WildFlower7
    Options

I'd rather not tell me daughters that I'm on my death bed because a bologne sandwich was more important to me than their graduations, weddings, or to see my grandchildren.

^ I agree! Well said!!!!!
  • WildFlower7
    Options
    ok. this is becoming overwhelming when everyday i read this is bad for me, that is bad for me. seems like it would have to become a full-time job if I wanted to eat clean all the time to make sure that everything i am putting in mouth is not going to kill or harm me in some way.

but, thanks for the info. :)

That's why I've made a lifestyle change, and am not just on a "diet"....that's exactly what it is, full-time!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options

From the article:

"Micha said these products are likely a heart disease and diabetes hazard not because of their saturated fat and cholesterol content, which was similar to unprocessed red meat, but because they contain four times more sodium and 50 per cent more nitrate preservatives."

So my conclusion: continue to avoid the -ites and the -ates. And keep a mindful eye on sodium.
  • WildFlower7
    Options

From the article:

"Micha said these products are likely a heart disease and diabetes hazard not because of their saturated fat and cholesterol content, which was similar to unprocessed red meat, but because they contain four times more sodium and 50 per cent more nitrate preservatives."

So my conclusion: continue to avoid the -ites and the -ates. And keep a mindful eye on sodium.

Exactly! Couldn't find what they said exactly on "The Dr's" :( So I just posted what I could come up with on it!