looking for any tiny bit of success - PCOS

Options
Hello to all,
I've been working out pretty hard-core with a heart monitor, at a high intensity, since Sept 2010, without any weight loss. So about 3 months ago, I started making conscious changes to my diet, replacing bad foods with good but not counting calories, as I didn't think I ate too much (just perhaps made bad choices). Again, no weight loss at all. So this is my final step on the path...counting everything. I have made such radical changes since last fall with absolutely no results, so I am beyond frustrated. I have both auto-immune thyroid disease (aka Hashimoto's) and an as-yet undiagnosed condition that is so far looking a lot like PCOS. So I expected weight loss to be challenging, but not impossible. I even have the advantage of having a father who is a very well educated nutritionist.

I'm looking for anyone who's in a similar boat and who has found success, to give me tips!

Replies

• myvenus
    myvenus Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to a doctor about your weight loss issues or a dietician? I would try that route first....what is your workout routine?
  • are0721
    are0721 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with PCOS in January. I've been on my fitness pal since November with 26 pounds down, so far. I never realized how many calories I was eating (even if they were healthier choices) until I started to keep a food diary on here. I personally think that MFP is an amazing site with very supportive people.

I attended a PCOS class just a month ago or so, and both a personal trainer and nutritionist came to speak. The personal trainer said that the best exercise for individuals with PCOS is to use resistance bands, and add in cardio, as well. As far as nutrition, the biggest thing I can say I got from that was that you want to stick to foods with a lower glycemic load - there are lists all over the internet. Also, when plating your meal, it should be half fruits/vegetables, 1/4 carb, and 1/4 meat.

I hope that's helpful, I know it can be a struggle when you add in a chronic condition that challenges your weight loss journey. The best I can say is keep up with it and make sure to surround yourself with supportive people. Good luck!!
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    MyVenus - I do 40-45 mins of elliptical (I have very bad feet so I have to have that no-impact exercise) 5x/wk. I'm working out at 80-85% of max heart rate, so we're talking about a high intensity workout. I have an appt with the endocrinologist at the end of the month...but they say the best treatment for PCOS is weight loss and dang if I'm not already trying to do that. ;) My father is a full blown nutritionist, so I am getting professional help in that way. In my experience he knows far more than doctors about this, despite my lack of results.
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    are0721 - thanks for the encouraging words. I am doing a lot of cardio, but I know I need to add some weight training too. My father has been helping me improve my diet over the past couple of months, I've just been so disappointed that I've put so much work in for zero results. So far what I've tracked shows me not eating too many calories, but I haven't been doing it for long yet. So here's hoping that tracking it all will keep me in line!
  • angiezee
    angiezee Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS about two years ago and have always struggled with my weight. Basically if I am not regularly watching what I eat I will gain weight at a ridiculous rate. I have been on MFP since February and have lost 11 pounds so far. Its been a struggle and I feel my progress is very slow but I'm happy and feel great. Feel free to add me.