well, i work at outback...

Options
i try so hard to be good, but even when i don't order food, sometimes the kitchen gives us food or if someone messes up an order it becomes "free food, you guys!" and our food is so high in calories, i don't know what to do. i mean, it balances out pretty well, because i'm also on my feet for 6 or 7 hours, but my weight loss slows down every weekend (i work thurs, fri, sat) and going in with a full stomach doesn't help. any recommendations for how to stay motivated in the face of free cheese fries that are sitting right in front of you? please help! thanks!

Replies

• odjit
    odjit Posts: 58
    Options
    please help! i don't want this thread to get lost because this is a huge problem for me. thanks
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I can understand this. I volunteer to work at my lodge fish fry periodically, and they pay us in food. Did I mention our fish is fried in lard? I have found I just have to prepare for such things. I KNOW I'm going to eat some fish (too good not to) but I've learned to pass on the fries. I also will often end the day before (or day after) with extra calories remaining to make up for it. I have seen many people say that the calorie totals averaged over a week work just as well as daily goals, and I have found this to generally be true. So, I plan ahead when possible, or make up for it afterward when it is not. I will also usually eat just before going to work the fish fry so that I am satisfied and not tempted as much to graze the whole time. You might consider keeping some healthy snacks handy so if you do get the urge to eat, you have the option of choosing something better.
  • odjit
    Options
    very well appreciated advice, thank you! i do keep snacks, but the weekly average hadn't really occurred to me. i'll try to keep that in mind. thank you so much!
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    How much does your weight loss slow down? If it isn't much then you are still doing a pretty good job of balancing the extra calories consumed with the extra burned by walking while at work. In that case you just need to eat a little less of the free food and remind yourself that it isn't really free if it comes at the cost of reduced weight loss. I know that sounds like trite advice, but it might help a little.
  • odjit
    Options
    no, i actually love the idea of thinking the food isn't free because i have to pay for it in calories! lol and limiting myself to a little is definitely easier than not eating it at all. the other thing i've been working on is trying to nibble more on our lower calorie items than on the really bad ones (and, of course, staying bust so i don't boredom nibble). thank you for your help!