sitting here as proud as a peacock

Options
jenneyd
jenneyd Posts: 308 Member
Oh I am a proud one today! This may not seem much to you runners out there, but for someone just getting started again, it's alot!
I have been getting more and more inspired to start running. I gotta tell ya, I do not like running, and running does not like me. I always joke, "I don't run, unless something is chasing me!" Well joke's on me, cuz this big hiney has been chasing me around the last couple of years, growing at break-neck speed! ha ha People posting about their running has really made me want to start. Specifically, emmaleigh47! She blogs about her runs, and let me tell you, this girl is amazing! She does not let anything keep her down!
So today, in her honor, I laced up the old tennis shoes and headed out. Two times around the block is a mile. I have not jogged since last summer, and at that point it was just trying to make it to the stop sign. Walk to the next stop sign, run again to the next stop sign. Well, guess what I managed to do the first time out!?!? I ran that whole mile, through every stop sign, no stopping! It took about 12 minutes, no medals to be won here for speed. But yes, I am proud. I have been working out since November, not running, but elliptical, circuit training, zumba, and strength training. All this has been conditioning me.
I'm looking forward to running more, and setting new goals.

Replies

• cpbarrett
    cpbarrett Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You should be proud of yourself! That is awesome and inspiring!!!
  • JeVeux
    JeVeux Posts: 2
    Options
    Congrats! :flowerforyou:
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Great job! I use to hate running, too. Now, it's my favorite exercise. Keep it up!
  • simplynila
    simplynila Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the world of running :) Congrats! I hope it will become your passion/obsession also! :)
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    Ditto DanOhh. Istarted out thinking it was a necessary evil to lose weight and now I work on getting faster and going farther. Marathons are in my future!!
  • JMJohnson1005
    JMJohnson1005 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! Continue the good work and you will be running 10 miles before you know it.
  • bouldert
    bouldert Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    nice work ,keep up the progress
  • mamma3monkeys
    Options
    I love this! Not only is it about self-motivation but it's also about success and achieving your goals. No one else can motivate you or give you the high that you get when you achieve something on your own - like YOU. So although you attribute your running bug to someone else, YOU made it happen and that's the awesome part. :D Also awesome is seeing your stamina grow in correlation to your heart health :D Nothing more satisfying in this world then that inner peace and joy you have now.
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! I just started c25k and i am real proud of myself also.
  • NanBar
    NanBar Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You picked a good person to be inspired by!

Congrats on your run! That is AWESOME!!!!Now go get fitted for some real shoes...tennis shoes won't do!
  • JPayne53
    JPayne53 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    WTG! I'm with you on the "I only run when someone is chasing me." Haha I guess I can't use it as an excuse anymore... I try to do treadmill runs everyday.. but outside, whole different story.. working my way up to it.. great inspiration for me to start today thanks!
  • roballesteros
    Options
    That is so great to hear! I was the same as you, I did not run. I read somewhere that it was a great way to de-stress so I started running last Sept. It did help me with me stress but of course the stress always came back the next day so I had to run again....and I have not stopped since. The great side effect from that was that I actually lost weight and I feel and look so much better. I have lost a total of 25 lbs since I started running. I do watch my diet but most of my success has been from running! Get you some good running shoes and sign yourself up for a 5K!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Awesome, great job!!!
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!! You'll be hooked in no time.
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Yay!!! Same here too!!!! Started running because my walking was getting faster and my legs were hurting trying to catch up with what I wanted to do... run... so I've been adding more running minutes per workout . Today ran two sets of 10 minutes of running in my 45 minute walk/run workout.

FEELS GREAT!

Keep going!!!!

L.
  • lily1972
    lily1972 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Wonderful!! Keep up the good work! BTW, YOU are amazing too! :flowerforyou:
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Show off those feathers sister...you should be proud... good for you and I hope you find continued success!
  • courtrptr13
    courtrptr13 Posts: 272
    Options
    Good for you! And thanks for the motivation. I used to be a runner and want to get back into it. I just have to ease back and not expect to much too soon, which is going to be hard, but I know I'll be happy in the end when I'm running again :)
  • plain_jane
    plain_jane Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Nice work! Now that you've pushed through the hard part, it will just keep getting easier. Way to go!
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    Well done huni.....I am so pleased for you. You are a very inspiring person to have as a friend and I hope we can continue to help each other along this new running journey. I am starting to feel on such a high when I've finished a run....maybe not so high DURING....but the feeling I get at the end is just amazing! Keep going.....and so will i.....we might be on opposite sides of the world but to me that means nothing :bigsmile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!