Alternating Exercise Routine

Options
Hello all :)

Personally I have some favourite machines at the gym.

So how often should one alternate exercise routines and what should that entail?

All comments would be much appreciated :)

Replies

• SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    It's really up to you. I tend to mix it up every few weeks. With my home workouts I change every 30 days. If you're having fun and you haven't hit a plateau I suggest just doing what you love :)
  • Chartrand11
    Options
    I try to keep it fairly simple. Something I know I can maintain on a daily basis. I do strength training in the morning (30-45 minutes) and cardio in the afternoon (22-35 minutes)

Monday- Bicep/Tricep then 3.5 mile run
    Tuesday- Back/Chest then 22 minute abs/legs
    Wednesday- Shoulder/Forearm then 3-5 mile run
    Thursday- Bicep/Tricep then 22 minute abs/legs
    Friday- Back/Chest then 3-5 mile run
    Saturday- Should/Forearm then 22 minute abs or hill sprints
    Sunday-Nothing

I keep this routine pretty constant and make sure that I work different area muscles since I am repeating my lifting twice a day. Also with running I always try to increase my time or distance. I never try to keep it the same. I mix that with healthy eating (you can view my diary) and patience and the results are great. Plus on weekends I can cheat a little since work hard enough during the week.
  • ivasexydiva
    Options
    Thanks guys! That's really helpful! :)
  • livelaughlove7519
    livelaughlove7519 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you do the same routine day after day, week after week you should switch it up every 4 to 6 weeks. that's how long it takes your body to acclimate to a rountine before it's not as effective. When you switch up you rountine via different machines, duration or intensity it confuses the muscles. you wouldn't believe how many people make the mistake of doing the same thing all the time. I had clients when I was personal trainer that as soon as they switched it up they started seeing results again.
  • BandMom2
    BandMom2 Posts: 64
    Options
    So by "switch it up" is that as simple as changing the order in which they are done?Legs first today then cardio, switch tomorrow. Or is it more completely change the type of exercise every few weeks?
  • ivasexydiva
    Options
    So by "switch it up" is that as simple as changing the order in which they are done?Legs first today then cardio, switch tomorrow. Or is it more completely change the type of exercise every few weeks?

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering..if I switch in 4 weeks, would the order I do things in and increasing intensity/weight be enough?
  • BandMom2
    BandMom2 Posts: 64
    Options
    bump
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    you need to alternate based on body/muscle groups. i usually go two months and then rotate exercises. its usually just different moves to work the same muscles. right now, instead of tricep or bicep specific lifts, i do pull ups and dips. works the muscles in a different way, and works more than just one muscle.