Artificial Sweeteners

Options
I've been hearing a lot about how diet foods and artificial sugars stimulate further craving for sweets. I don't doubt it. I don't know about the rest of you, though, but I crave sweets anyways. Doesn't matter if I have real sugar, fake sugar, or no sugar; I crave sweet things once in a while. That doesn't mean I am going to go hold up a Ben & Jerry's or eat an entire pound cake with butter cream frosting. I'm still counting my calories. I'm not binging. I'm not gaining all the weight I've lost back just because I indulged in half a 100 calorie pack. I have self control.

Artificial Sweeteners aren't natural. Neither are aspirin, penicillin, or birth control. Vaccinations have saved millions of lives. Is cheese considered natural? It doesn't occur "naturally" in nature without human hands, does it? I really like cheese. You know what IS natural? Tobacco, marijuana, caffeine, hemlock, arsenic, e coli, mushrooms, and those little red tree frogs they make poison darts from, lol. I hear you shouldn't lick those.

Maybe I can't pronounce the ingredients, but cholecalciferol and ergocalciferol are difficult to pronounce. Those are two of the five forms of Vitamin D. Thiamine (B1), riboflavin (B2), niacin (B3), folic acid or folate (B9), and cobalamin (B12) are all difficult to pronounce, also. Iodine is added to salt to prevent goiters. Does anyone else have trouble saying rhinoceros? It never sounds quite right. I might try a rhinoceros burger if I had the chance.

My snack might have more than three ingredients. So does beef stew. I wonder how many ingredients your tap water has?

Just because I eat a snack with man made, artificial ingredients doesn't mean I won't lose weight or that I'll become sick. Too much aspartame probably makes you sick. Did you know that too much water, apples, or oxygen can kill you? Everything in moderation, people. That's what calorie counting is all about, right? Learning self control... even when your diet pepsi makes you crave cake.

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    If they tell pregnant women not to have fake sugar, how is it good for the rest of us?

My doctor says to stay away from fake sugar (I asked her why it gives me headaches and she said to stay away).

Here's my post from this morning about sugar, not sure if you saw:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/222867-skinny-cow-low-fat-but-lots-of-scary-sugars
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I will take a slice of real chocolate cake over some sugar free (or fat free) cookies any day. I still take in fake sweeteners with my Fiber One original and occasionally sprinkle some Splenda over my oatmeal. And there might be some in my protein powders and shakes. But if I want something sweet I want the real thing.

and I looked at that Skinny Cow once. The have the small portions in my work cafe. No thanks. Once again I'll take my Haagen Daaz Coffee Ice Cream (cream, milk, sugar, coffee). Or some Breyers.
  • cirrus48
    cirrus48 Posts: 2
    Options
    I did a little research, but my husband did a lot. After much poking and prodding, he got me to give up fake sugar all together (as I was drinking A LOT of it via diet soda). I find myself snacking MUCH less now-a-days and feeling more satisfied after meals. Within the first 2 weeks of not using any artificial sweeteners I lost 10 pounds. Now during those 2 weeks I was watching my caloric intake and exercising here and there, but I still think some of it had to do with the fake sugar. Plus, I feel much better knowing that I'm not pumping my body full of those chemicals. Cheers!
  • katyrose221
    katyrose221 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am totally the opposite. I can't have aspartame. I get a massive head EVERY time. That makes me leary of Splenda and the like. I see what your argument states. But actually some people are now saying refined sugar (the white stuff and the high-fructose kind) are incredibly bad for you as well.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/magazine/mag-17Sugar-t.html?_r=1

Though I love sweets, especially chocolate, I am going to try to cut out all unnecessary refined sugars. That still leaves fruit, honey and maybe stevia (haven't tried that yet). But even those I'm going to watch closely.

I think you are right that there are plenty of amazing things that are manmade; plenty of scary things that are natural. I just think that everything is about smart, conscience choices. For you, you may need that diet pepsi fix for mental reasons. It may be straight up stress relief for you. Mental health is as important as physical health.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    If they tell pregnant women not to have fake sugar, how is it good for the rest of us?

My doctor says to stay away from fake sugar (I asked her why it gives me headaches and she said to stay away).

Here's my post from this morning about sugar, not sure if you saw:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/222867-skinny-cow-low-fat-but-lots-of-scary-sugars

I've had two children. They also told me not to have coffee, cold cut deli meat, soft cheese (like feta... oh, I love feta! or blue), or fish (I hate fish anyways).
  • mamaw53
    mamaw53 Posts: 71
    Options
    I agree Mickmelie-moderation in all things-and a little common sense please. Sometimes I do use artificial sweetners and sometimes I use sugar; occasionally I use both at the same time. Neither one, used in moderation, has affected my weight or my appetite.
  • SiltyPigeon
    Options
    As a matter of taste, I would also pick the chocolate cake. But, if I am going to have a small sweet treat and only have a certain amount of calories left, I don't worry that substituting with a sugar free cookie so I can stay under my calories while having a little something is going to make me sick or kill me.

I understand that some/many people have sensitivities to aspartame and other sweeteners while other people have sensitivities to strawberries, or coconut, or fish. A headache, for instance, is a sensitivity and doesn't translate to artificial sweeteners being bad for everyone.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I must say that I completely agree with you! You are right, everything in moderation :]

I love having some sugar free pumpkin pie coffee syrup in my coffee! But so many judgements for it on here because of the artificial sweeteners. Honestly I find that it gets rid of my sweet tooth and makes me HAPPY :] I enjoy being happy.

After going from diet soda, ice cream, cakes and all sorts to just down to my coffee syrup.... lemme drink it in peace! Haha

I also loved the writing :] interesting and witty :D
  • SiltyPigeon
    Options
    Thank You! :blushing: :flowerforyou:
  • rore1
    rore1 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I LOVE THE WAY YOU WROTE THAT!!!! why? Because I think in that messed up manner LOL!!! you are awesome!!! a great writer!!! all over the place and yet organized......damn that was fun to read thank you......:laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • SiltyPigeon
    Options
    Thanks! :flowerforyou:
    I have about one coherent thought a day. :happy: