Sweating while working out???

Options
2»

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't wear clothing to make yourself sweat more. The only benefit to sweat is to cool you down. If you wear clothing to make you sweat, that will mess with how your body regulates itself.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I've been really logging in MFP now for 15 days staight, but was here and there the month prior. I've been back at working out now for almost 2 months 5-6 days a week at 50-60 minutes. I do the treadmill always, it's an incline trainer and can go up to a 40 degree incline for major burn, so I switch up the trails daily. I definelty wet just not dripping like my husband =)

In general, men have larger hearts and lungs than most women, and that's the reason men, in general, have heavier sweats during workouts. Don't compare yourself to your husband when trying to measure how much you've done. Besides, the weight-loss should be coming from your calorie deficit and not from your exercises. Life is easier when you focus on losing weight by eating less.
  • Stefani74
    Stefani74 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I barely sweat because of meds that I take for migraines. There is a specific warning about exercise due to the fact that my body doesn't cool itself the way it's supposed to while on these meds. I do an Insanity workout and don't even have to towel off.
  • rodneyderrick
    Options
    You shouldn't wear clothing to make yourself sweat more. The only benefit to sweat is to cool you down. If you wear clothing to make you sweat, that will mess with how your body regulates itself.

You are so right. It's all fun and games until you find somebody passed out in the men's bathroom in a body suit. I guess the medical examiner would list that as an accidental death.
  • Tanzyness
    Tanzyness Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My cousin and I have roughly the same amount of weight to lose and we walk/jog together during the week. We both bust our butts to get our routes done in the shortest time possible, putting forth great effort. Yet she will be absolutely drenched with sweat and I will just have a little on my forehead! It looks like we have done two completely different work outs even though I know that I was pushing myself just as hard. Also, I drink lots of water all day long and she doesn't drink nearly as much water as I do. I have never sweat much at any point in my life doing any kind of workout, not the drenching sweat that some people get anyway that soak their shirts. I played softball in really hot weather, went to the gym and have done plenty of things where I am pushing myself. So all of this leads me to believe that some people simply don't sweat as much as others. I'm sure in some cases it is a sign that maximum effort is not being put forth but just because you are not sweating buckets does not automatically mean you are not getting a good workout.
  • rodneyderrick
    Options
    My cousin and I have roughly the same amount of weight to lose and we walk/jog together during the week. We both bust our butts to get our routes done in the shortest time possible, putting forth great effort. Yet she will be absolutely drenched with sweat and I will just have a little on my forehead! It looks like we have done two completely different work outs even though I know that I was pushing myself just as hard. Also, I drink lots of water all day long and she doesn't drink nearly as much water as I do. I have never sweat much at any point in my life doing any kind of workout, not the drenching sweat that some people get anyway that soak their shirts. I played softball in really hot weather, went to the gym and have done plenty of things where I am pushing myself. So all of this leads me to believe that some people simply don't sweat as much as others. I'm sure in some cases it is a sign that maximum effort is not being put forth but just because you are not sweating buckets does not automatically mean you are not getting a good workout.

You're right about some people sweat more than others, but workout just as hard. I'm a Group Fitness instructor, and if a lady in one of my classes is drenched in sweat, I would encourage her to take it down a level.
  • mamato3babes
    Options
    Hmmm... I def dont have that problem. I sweat like crazy lol
  • TROPIKALPUNCH
    Options
    Besides it not being a very healthy thing to do - any weight loss that shows after forcing a sweat, is most likely going to be water weight than fat (actual weight)
  • russfrench
    Options
    Look, the first thing I would say is talk to a profetional! Some of the answers posted here are just dumb (Throwing up??? Really??). Those who have mentioned your hydration are right on...lower your salt intake and increase your h2o and keep at it. It sounds like you are doing great!:happy:
  • amehrkens
    amehrkens Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I would really caution against wearing a plastic suit to work out....I can't see how that could be a good thing! I think you have gotten some good advice from the others on here!
  • mkennedym
    mkennedym Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    sweating is your body's way of coping with temperature increases (either from climate temperature or exercise).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspiration

when you work out, your body uses calories for energy and that produces heat, thus your body's temperature rises. if it rises enough, your body will begin to sweat so that the evaporation of your swat on your skin relieves some of the heat your body is producing, and thus you cool off. generally, if you are not sweating, it means you are burning calories so slowly that the rise in temperature of your body is negligible. if you want to sweat/burn calories at a quicker pace, you need to increase the intensity of your workout.
  • kmg748
    kmg748 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Why don't you think anyone should wear a body suit to help you sweat? They sell these at all sporting good stores, walmart, Meijer for this purpose. I realize items are sold that might not be the best for someone, but I'm just curious. I've definetly decreased my sodium intake on most days. maybe I will increase the water more and see how that works. I'm also gonna try and take up a few notches and see how that works. It's so interesting to see every ones beliefs/opinions. Thanks!
  • RiaLucia
    RiaLucia Posts: 121
    Options
    It's true that sweat levels vary from person to person. Personally, I wonder if I have a mild medical condition because I don't think I sweat enough and sometimes I have the tendency to over-heat. The amount of work it takes for me to noticeably sweat is pretty big--I'll run an entire 5k and show about as much sweat as the average person does at 1 mile. I've never had those big sweat stains on my lower back like you'll see people get when they're working out. I might get a little forehead drip and some dampness under my arms and bust, but again, that's after a couple miles of running. As long as you are hitting your target heart rate and not getting dehydrated and/or overheated, you should be fine.
  • supercatie18
    supercatie18 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I don't think that Sweat= Calories lost, I think that Sweat= Sign that you are exerting yourself and getting in a good workout. Everyone's bodies are different, but i don't think that you need to wear a sweatshirt or a plastic thing.... I know that wrestlers will try and sweat before a weigh in day to lose extra water weight, but they don't actually keep that off
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    You're good. Everyone's different. Just stay hydrated!!!
  • sunflowerkb
    sunflowerkb Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing. I work with a trainer too. I do bursts. I do cardio, strength and everything. I only turn beat red, my hands look like 10 fat sausages and sometimes they don't even like to make a fist after an intense workout... and... I won't drop a bead of sweat. I drink all my water every day. It's just my body and I know that because my personal trainer takes me to the end of myself. Same result. No sweat.... or very little I should say, I can wipe my forhead or I can feel some persperation on my body but that's it.
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    sweating is your body's way of coping with temperature increases (either from climate temperature or exercise).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspiration

when you work out, your body uses calories for energy and that produces heat, thus your body's temperature rises. if it rises enough, your body will begin to sweat so that the evaporation of your swat on your skin relieves some of the heat your body is producing, and thus you cool off. generally, if you are not sweating, it means you are burning calories so slowly that the rise in temperature of your body is negligible. if you want to sweat/burn calories at a quicker pace, you need to increase the intensity of your workout.

That's true though it's not a rule for all. As mentioned above my son doesn't have as developed sweat glands. He can be burning as much calories as everyone else but instead of sweating he overheats. It's very dangerous. So just lack of sweat does not automatically mean lack of effort. Everyone has a different set of sweat glands.
    Why don't you think anyone should wear a body suit to help you sweat? They sell these at all sporting good stores, walmart, Meijer for this purpose. I realize items are sold that might not be the best for someone, but I'm just curious. I've definetly decreased my sodium intake on most days. maybe I will increase the water more and see how that works. I'm also gonna try and take up a few notches and see how that works. It's so interesting to see every ones beliefs/opinions. Thanks!

As mentioned above the sweat suits can actually be quite dangerous. They trap in your body heat not allowing your body to properly cool down. This can cause an artifical heat stroke which is rather dangerous as well as dehydration. Don't focus on the sweat so much as how your muscles feel when you're done. If you feel the burn, if you make your muscles sore, you're getting a good workout.
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options

^^^^Agree....sweating has no bearing on how many calories you're burning.
  • ngwehner
    ngwehner Posts: 19
    Options
    There is a great deal of variation in how much people sweat. Sweating in and of itself does not indicate how may calories you are burning. Just make sure you aren't filing to sweat because you are not hydrated enough. NO SUIT - these are very dangerous as noted by several people here.

Also a note to those who are heavy sweaters, and I am definitely in this catagory, you are also at higher than average risk for heat complications if you do not drink LOTS of fluids. If this is how your body works just make sure to drink enough to keep sweating heavily, because if you stop sweating it means you are very dehydrated and your body temperature is rising rapidly. I drink four times the amount my husband (a minimal sweater) does.