I've decided to run a 5K!

Options
My town sponsors a "Cops-N-Runners" 5K every year and I have decided to run it this year! Or at least run as much of it as I can, but I'm going to start and I'm going to finish. It's set for June 12. I can't believe I'm going to do it!

Replies

• RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    You can do it!! Way to go!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Good job... feel free to ask me if you need advice or support!
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Good luck! You can totally do it.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Good job... feel free to ask me if you need advice or support!
    Heck, yes!

I've just started a month ago. I weigh 220 now. I have a good treadmill and I use it 6 or 7 days a week. My current "regimen" is 40 minutes, mostly walking, some jogging. About 2 weeks ago, I was walking at 2.5 mph for most of it, and jogged 3 sets at 3.5 mph for 1 minute on, 1 minute walk, 1 minute jog during the 40 minutes (for a total jog at 3.5 mph of 6 minutes). Does that make sense?

I've been pushing and increasing every time. As of last night, I walk at 2.8 mph. I now do 4 sets of jogging at 4.0 mph (8 minutes jogging total). Two of those sets have no 1 minute of walking. It's about 2.1 miles.

I think that's a vast improvement. :bigsmile: I'm pushing each workout and I'm seeing results. I have just under 2 months before this 5K. Where should I be looking to push now? Continue with cutting out the minute rest within the jogging sets and decrease walking rest between sets? Increase walking speed? Increase jogging speed? Increase total workout time?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    You'll get there. That's exactly how I started out going on 4 years ago now. Fair warning though, it may get expensive...a lot of people get hooked after they finish their first race :-)
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Fair warning though, it may get expensive...a lot of people get hooked after they finish their first race :-)

Amen! LOL .. that was me :) So worth it though in soo many ways! Good luck!! Interval training will help :)
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    You'll get there. That's exactly how I started out going on 4 years ago now. Fair warning though, it may get expensive...a lot of people get hooked after they finish their first race :-)

I use to just make my own mini race against my best time or with a buddy or something! I only did the big races. I'm shooting for a 1/2 marathon at the end of Aug this year. I just started the whole walk/run thing so I've got a while to go. Hopefully I'll be able to hit my goal!
  • margie_77
    margie_77 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Woo Hoooo!!! 5k's are so much fun! :D
  • foleykm22
    foleykm22 Posts: 32
    Options
    yay!!!! Im going to do my first one in May :) Im scared...I hate races, but I really want to get over that fear! I think I will love it. Hope you do too!!!
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    I'm running my first 5K in 9 days! You can totally do it. If I had to give any advice it would be to train in the same or similar conditions you'll be running in (read: outdoors) and to invest in good running shoes. Go to a running store and get fitted and tested.
  • ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I was in wk 6 on the couch to 5k when I ran my first 5k and I surprised myself but not only finishing but running the whole thing and coming in quicker than I thought I would!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i can really reccomend the C25k programme- i'm in week 7 and running for 30 mins. at week 1 i was struggling to get from lamp post to lamp post. and i'm at 220lbs. i ran my 3.5k last weekend, and did well (i think).